Whey protein versus plant-based protein

Options
Hi all,
I am new to this site.
I am a 49 year old female who has recently started kickboxing for stress relief and to get back into shape (again)
I have a history of getting into shape, staying in shape for a few years and then falling off the wagon.
I'm currently about 20 lbs more than I'd like to be and have more stomach fat than I'd like.
I have started down a healthy path again with the kickboxing but am finding this such an intense activity that my diet has defintely come up for discussion.
After beginning these intense workout sessions and visiting with a nutritionist, I found that I was doing several things wrong.
I was going several hours between meals, not eating enough when I did eat and not eating enough protein.
I am also somewhat of a vegetarian in that the only meat that I do eat is fish.
I started using a whey protein powder and while my stomach can (mostly) tolerate it I am curious about plant-based proteins.
I would like to know what everyone's experience with these proteins are.
I keep reading that the plant-based protein powders taste so bad that alot of people can't even get them down.
I've already spent alot of money on the whey so I am wiling to finish these out before trying the others but wonder if the plant-based proteins may be easier on my stomach and make me feel even better than the whey.

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions and input.

Thanks

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    of the animal proteins, whey is a VERY good one with almost no negatives other than the intestestinal distress you allude. Ite is a complete protein, is easily digested and utilized, and typically has the benefit of added calcium.

Soy has a lot of compounds that interact with the body's estrogen receptor, but the overall effects of those are quite unclear. Almost in the same studies this is beneficial and negative at the same time.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Plant based protein is easier to digest so if you have hard time with your stomach then it might do better. Whatever it will taste bad or not depends. You can get some disgusting whey and you can get some good tasting plant protein. They usually add flavors so they don't taste that bad. And you can just mix them food that you might not even know it's in there, you don't have to drink it with a glass of water making ugly face.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I switched from a cheap brand of whey protein to a better quality one and the difference in how much easier it was to digest was remarkable. You might find that a switch of brand is enough to make the difference. And plenty of water & fibre, but we should all be doing that anyway!

I'm also a pescetarian btw, and my diary is open if you want to have a look.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use this: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/garden-of-life-raw-protein-original-622-g-powder/gu-7020?sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=GU-7020&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-GU-7020&gclid=CK-fhayTtbsCFclaMgodzEkAvg&gclsrc=aw.ds#.Uq8oqOLBP2k

It's plant-based, vegan, etc. & 17 grams of protein per scoop w/ low carb, low calories. The taste is tolerable in smoothies, if you cover it up with other flavors (& you can get the flavored kind too, although I've never tried those personally)
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Best tasting plant-based protein powder I've tried was hemp protein powder. It tastes nutty. Doesn't dissolve very well, but a blender takes care of that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Don't forget there are other proteins than Whey and Soy. Egg based protein powder is out there a well. There is hemp protein, pea protein, and others. I personally prefer Whey, but if powdered Egg protein was less expensive I would go that route. Of course there is also the option of using pasteurized egg whites that come in a carton as a fairly good and inexpensive protein source.
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    Thank you all. Certainly a lot to consider. I appreciate all the input :smile:
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    I definitely second the garden of life raw protein
    http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Protein-Grams/dp/B0031JK96C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387414413&sr=8-1&keywords=raw+protein

I just ordered a container for myself this evening, and a container of raw fiber as well (my hubby wanted this).

I also love Vega
    http://www.amazon.com/Vega-One--Chocolate-876g-Brand/dp/B006XJCGYK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1387414391&sr=8-16&keywords=vega

Although on the pricer side this stuff has been around for a while. The inventor is a vegan. I find this stuff really smooth. I didn't order it this past time just because there was a recall (it was the company being ahead of itself) with some high level of something - not too bad but I was waiting for the next batch, which looks like it is up now.

This is another one that I have used in the past 6 months as well. It's a brown rice protein not mixed with too much extra. It is quite good but I do find it a tad harder to mix up and tastes a little chalky to me (IMO).

Anyways, hopes this helps a bit. I have been using some form of vegan/vegetarian protein for years and done my research and these are certainly some really good ones. I have also used whey isolate protein and I just find it does make me feel a bit heavier or plays with my stomach, these are much easier to digest and usually filled with some nice fiber.
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I tried a single serving packet of the Garden of Life and I couldn't bring myself to swallow it. How are you using this product? I mixed it with water using a blender and even then it didn't blend well and the taste was so bad I had to pour it out. The Vega product was tolerable in orange juice but I still think I need to work up to the scoop serving size as the texture and color was a bit overwhelming for me at first. I'm used to juicing so I thought this might be similar but the lumpy texture was a bit more than I could handle. So, if you have any serving suggestions I'd certainly like to hear them as I really would like to move off the whey which makes me a bit gassy and uncomfortable (hope that's not too graphic ;-) _) Thanks again!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you using WPI or WPC?
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so they whey proteins are no good for me - I put up with them for a while until I decided enough was enough and went looking for an alternative. I did a fair bit of online research, looking at reviews etc etc before I found the one I currently use and I love it.
    It's a rice/pea protein powder. They use a blend to achieve an amino acid balance comparable to whey protein, and it has 24g protein per scoop with only 105 calories, low carb and low fat. It's 100% vegan and uses all natural, organic ingredients. It took me a long time to find a powder that didn't use artificial sweeteners, flavours, fillers, etc. The texture is a little chalky but I'm now used to it and find it much more satisfying than whey as it is a little thicker. I also find the whey powder far too sweet now.
    It's called BioLife, by BioFlex. They are an Australian company so I'm not sure if it's available or if they ship overseas, but you can always email them to ask. It's also very reasonably priced, working out to around AUD70c per serve.
    I love it and am constantly recommending it to people who want something other than whey :)
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly. Two of my trainer friends recommended Isopure zero carb which tastes ok but I've noticed makes me bloat , etc
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    Yeah I'll have to look into this. I definitely want to find a solution as I'm only getting started and whey is already affecting my intestines ;-)
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    Thank you jordymils but it looks like that company only ships locally but I will research to see if there is an American comparable. Thank you!
  • Cokebear83
    Cokebear83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can you use the Whey Protein in coffee? or will the heat destroy the protein?
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    That's a good question CokeBear83...I'm not sure. I guess I'll just have to experiment to see what I can drink. I've heard of some beef protein tablets but my nutritionist doesn't think I need these besides since I don't eat beef at all, I'd kinda like to stay away from anything beef related no matter the form.
  • Cokebear83
    Cokebear83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sdunlap01 I haven't really experimented with any other protein, I just know I haven't been getting enough protein in my diet. I haven't had intestinal problems at all using the Whey. I am open to suggestions though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly. Two of my trainer friends recommended Isopure zero carb which tastes ok but I've noticed makes me bloat , etc

Soy Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Sucralose

They're all ingredients in your protein, and could perhaps give you bloating issues. It may be worth trying a different WPI without these things, as WPI isn't generally known to give lactose related issues.

I've used plant based proteins for a few years and returned to whey this year after not getting great results from the plants. Massive change! Huge! It has done wonders for my muscle growth
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    Cokebear83 I'm going to give the Plant Fusion a try as there seems to be more people that like the taste of it over any other plant based proteins. I'll let you know how the taste test goes ;-) trial and error but I def know that I can't stomach Garden of Life protein as much as I would like to I find the taste absolutely intolerable. Plus, another friend of mine is using a different whey product he swears by called http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388346018&sr=8-1&keywords=protein

He said he used to use the same whey powder I do (Isopure) and it upset his stomach as well so since switching he hasn't had anymore problems. So I'm going to try some of his to see how my stomach tolerates it so I'll have some good tests going on this week.

I'll update again once I have the results.

Happy New Year!
  • sdunlap01
    Options
    Thank you KinoM. I'm planning on trying a different whey product and still experimenting with the plant based proteins.
    I'm reading more about the whey protein I'm currently taking and you're right, it does seem to upset people's stomachs so it could be as simple as switching brands.

Thanks and Happy New Year!