Jawbone Up24 help?!

Options
SOOO, I just got the Jawbone up24 for Christmas and I am lost.. is this a HRM?! I don't believe it is, and I keep youtubing and googling and everyone rants and raves about it's super huge amazingness. I am just sitting here like, WTF.. Just seems like a wrist band to me that " tracks" movement.. and syncs to an App, and tells you how many steps you took and how many calories you " burned".. but it seems all estimated, where as with an actual HRM, you get your heart rate, and your actual calories burned.

Am I missing something? I don;'t want to return this device just to find out later that I am totally wrong and I just didn't know what I was doing.. Anyone have the Jawbone with any input?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It estimates your calorie burn from BMR and NEAT (non-exercise activity). A HRM is good for estimating that workout burn. The Up estimates the other 23 hours of the day, or all 24 if your exercise is running, walking, aerobics, dancing, or other non-resistance-based, non-vehicular activity.

That's a pretty nice gift!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love my UP bracelet - it's not the new one - the only difference is I have to plug mine in my phone to transfer information.

It more of a pedometer than anything else. I love that it tracks my sleep as well - although it's not 100% accurate.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I too think this is a nice gift however I really wanted a HRM. I may just return it with the gift reciept and go get a HRM instead. Totally bummed because for whatever reason I was under he impression it WAS a HRM. Womp lol.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try it out today at the gym and see how I feel about it. I may or may not return it depending on how I feel about it.. Appreciate the input!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    SOOO, I just got the Jawbone up24 for Christmas and I am lost.. is this a HRM?! I don't believe it is, and I keep youtubing and googling and everyone rants and raves about it's super huge amazingness. I am just sitting here like, WTF.. Just seems like a wrist band to me that " tracks" movement.. and syncs to an App, and tells you how many steps you took and how many calories you " burned".. but it seems all estimated, where as with an actual HRM, you get your heart rate, and your actual calories burned.

Am I missing something? I don;'t want to return this device just to find out later that I am totally wrong and I just didn't know what I was doing.. Anyone have the Jawbone with any input?
    An HRM does NOT give you an actual calorie burn. It use the same formula as everything else to estimate calories. An HRM can tell you your heart rate, that's the only ACTUAL number it can give you, the rest is just estimates based on the same formula the Jawbone uses.