Fitbit Force incorrect mileage

Options
Hello, Fitbit users,

I purchased a Force in November, after losing the One I had for over a year.

I've been running regularly, and after doing a 1.17 mile loop 3x, my Fitbit reads 2.86 miles.

Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't have that issue. I would try walking on a treadmill for 1 mile and compare the fitbit to the distance calculated on the machine. This will tell you if the device is counting correctly or not.
  • jdr0p_
    jdr0p_ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill, and this is a recent problem. Sometimes it's slightly wrong, sometimes it's accurate. It's never been this far off, though.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Mine's accurate on a treadmill, but out in the real world, my Force measures significantly greater distance than Map My Run (the website, not the app) does. Don't know which is correct.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The mileage is always wrong for me on my ultra. I think I take small steps, so it's always higher than what I've actually walked. I never bothered to input my stride length though, maybe you need to do that?
  • jdr0p_
    Options
    Hm for some reason I thought I had, but apparently I hadn't. Thanks! Great idea...I'll try and see if that makes a difference tomorrow.
  • jdr0p_
    Options
    Mine's accurate on a treadmill, but out in the real world, my Force measures significantly greater distance than Map My Run (the website, not the app) does. Don't know which is correct.

I use Map My Run on the computer, and my Force is generally a bit less, and today it was over a full .25 mile less.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    The mileage is always wrong for me on my ultra. I think I take small steps, so it's always higher than what I've actually walked. I never bothered to input my stride length though, maybe you need to do that?

^^ this :) I've calibrated my One incorrectly and it always reads wrong. Apparently I'm too lazy to truly care about it enough to change it - I track mileage using a different app anyway, but it sounds very much like a calibration issue :smile:
  • jdr0p_
    Options
    Ok, someone learn me stride length.

I set my stride length and now after a 2.14 mile run, Fitbit says it's only 1.44 miles. As measured by walking, Map My Run, and in a car, it's 2.14 miles.

Obviously I'm missing something.....someone help!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I ignore the Fitbit distance values but I think there is both a running and walking stride length setting, isn't there? Also, what method did you use to get your stride length, in order to set it in the app?

I just went and looked in Settings and there IS both stride lengths.

All the Fitbit does to estimate distance is multiply your steps times your stride length. It's a crude measure. Though when I first got mine I tested it on the default stride length and I think my 1.9 mile loop measured to 1.95 miles on the Fitbit or something, so I never really worried about it much after that. I should add, I don't use a wrist one but the torso models.