Good, low cal "on the go" foods...

Options
Hi all, so I'm a "on the go" person! Anyone have any recommendations for good ready made foods that are low cal? I love the 45 calorie a slice bread... What's ur fav find?

Replies

• jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    low fat string cheese, clementines, almonds, an apple….
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bananas- "prepackaged" fruit, no tupperware needed. Usually 89 to 105 cals.

I also keep a half cup container with crackers, dried cereal. Usually 90 to 120 cals.

Wafer crisps are a good snack for me plus it kills a sweet craving. Usually 100-150 cals

PBn J sandwiches. I shy away from peanut butter because each caloric serving (2 tablespoons) tends to be almost 200 cals but I use 1 tablespoon. Usually I can get a whole sandwich to under 260 cals.

Cheese and grapes. One of my random faves. Half a cup serving plus a cheese slice = <125 cals

Granola bars. I ate so many of these I got tired of them but they're still a good option and stops me from foraging in the vending machines :)

Avoid:
    Prepackaged sandwiches. The salt in deli meat is a killer + the mayo ratio tends to be a bit heavy

Cheese flavoured snacks, again the sodium content.

Meal replacement drinks. Tasty but addictive and tend to be high in cals :)

Breakfast bars...good in moderation but if you have a sweet tooth you'll reaslise you're having them for breakfast, and lunch, and snack and "oh its 3PM, I can eat another one."
  • Turbooble
    Turbooble Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My dad has been helping me find low calorie products to assist in keeping the whole house low calorie. He recently found Nature's Own White Bread at 40 Calories per slice and it tastes just like the other brands he used to stock the house with. Seeing as we are a kitchen oriented family, this was a great find.

On the weekends we also go through the house and make pre-made mini-snacks and meals. The snacks we put in zip-locks and write the calorie amount, we stick to 100-150 calories per bag. For meals we put in Tupperware and put a sticky note for the calories. This has made grab and go quick and easy and very easy to stay within my calorie goal.
  • SanDoThis
    Options
    Those are all great and simple things I forget! :( thanks for the reminder!
    I think I need to up my protein intake... I'm such a carbs girl! :(
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Youre welcome hun.
    All the best! :)
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love apples, carrots, celery, cauliflower. Pre-washed and cut. Great and satisfying on the go foods. PB & J too. I have it on one slice of bread now with the same of peanut butter and find that there is no difference in how full I feel.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I haven't found too many "pre-packaged" foods other than what's above (cheese, fruits and veggies). I can't relaly do nuts because I'll eat to many lol. My fave is actually green beans. Takes a minute to wash and chop the ends, but I make baggies of these and grab one when I have "the munchies" or I know I'll be out and about
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Not low calorie, per se, but my "on the go" foods are pumpkin seeds, sunflower kernels, and nuts. All have protein and fat, which helps satiate my hunger better than any carby snack. Otherwise I'll also do popcorn, you can get a lot of volume for a relatively low calorie count.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    pistachios are great for me, because having to remove them from the shell makes them take longer to eat, so I feel like I've had more. (just always watch portion sizes with nuts.)
    100 calorie packs of Emerald Almonds, the cocoa and cinnamon ones are AMAZING
    string cheese is always on my shopping list
    apples are easy, berries might seem less convenient but, rinse them off, put them in a small tupperware, and they are ready to go.
    baby carrots or snap peas are easy to stick in a tupperware or baggie. and if you have a minute to cut them, bell peppers are a sweet, crunchy easy wonderful snack, especially the yellow and orange ones.

usually i try to have some combination of protein and fruit/veggie (ie: almonds and an apple; string cheese and bell pepper, pistachios and berries)

oh, i think someone said stay away from deli meats..while it's true they aren't the BEST option...if you get low sodium turkey breast (real turkey breast, not the chopped up and reconstituted stuff), it's not bad, and it super convenient. a couple of ounces of sliced turkey is easy to roll up and eat with your hands, maybe with some veggies.