I need some spice in my life!!

Options
So I need some new breakfast and snack ideas to go with my (1200 cal) diet bc I think that has a lot to do with why I havent been keeping up on it.

I do the Oatmeal, cottage cheese, and staying away from yogurt bc its high in sugar (yes even the plain has 16 grams in a cup). With fruit.

Snacks seeds, celery, apples

I try to stay away from a lot of foods that come in a box (crackers, pretzels)

Any ideas or what are your favorite meals and snacks? I am trying to up my veggie intake and lower my fruit intake.

Replies

• crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    try oatmeal with a flavored protein powder, or oatmeal with peanut butter.
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal with ground flax seeds, can't eat oatmeal normal anymore. Also try eating orange, yellow and red bell peppers, they are delicoius, also cucumbers, etc... Do down the produce section and try different stuff out...
  • krasay
    krasay Posts: 23
    Options
    Raw Carrots, califlower and brocolli is a great snack, If you are one that likes dressings get the sprizters and you can spray a little extra flavor on them without adding a lot of calories
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    My house is a produce section (lotttts of fruits and veggies). I have peppers everyday in my salads and dinners, cucumbers I love!!
  • McBrideCh
    Options
    Try eating more smaller meals during the day.(this way you wont go hungry and be forced to snack) I am also doing the 1200 Cal a day and I am quite acive and I never go over my 1200 cal. Which is not the most healthy way.

Breakfast have 2 eggs then around 10am have a bananna, then at noon eat half of your lunch, eat the other half around 2, then have a snack around 3:30 - 4pm and lastly dinner between 5-6pm and a light snack at 8 (apple, bananna, popcorn etc) you'll stay under your 1200 most days as I do.

For lunch, try having salad with half a chicken breast and cucumbers and for diner a piece of fish on some whole wheat bread. Think soup!! Soup is a good side and is very low in calories. I eat soup sometimes 3 meals a day.

Drinks lots of water too!

Hope that helps :)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Raw Carrots, califlower and brocolli is a great snack, If you are one that likes dressings get the sprizters and you can spray a little extra flavor on them without adding a lot of calories

Thats a great idea. I have those in my house too. Some reason carrots make me more hungry.. its weird.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Try eating more smaller meals during the day.(this way you wont go hungry and be forced to snack) I am also doing the 1200 Cal a day and I am quite acive and I never go over my 1200 cal. Which is not the most healthy way.

Breakfast have 2 eggs then around 10am have a bananna, then at noon eat half of your lunch, eat the other half around 2, then have a snack around 3:30 - 4pm and lastly dinner between 5-6pm and a light snack at 8 (apple, bananna, popcorn etc) you'll stay under your 1200 most days as I do.

For lunch, try having salad with half a chicken breast and cucumbers and for diner a piece of fish on some whole wheat bread. Think soup!! Soup is a good side and is very low in calories. I eat soup sometimes 3 meals a day.

Drinks lots of water too!

Hope that helps :)

I do eat small meals... I need more combo ideas... Thanx :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I have discovered oatmeal made with vanilla almond milk and some walnuts thrown in after I cook it, is delicious!!
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I you would like to add yogurt back into your life without a bunch of sugar, try the Kroger Carb Master yogurts if they are available in your area. They have several different flavors and taste very good.

I sometimes add thawed frozen berries to make my own McDonalds-like parfait but that does add sugar back in even if it is good sugar.

Calories 80
    Sodium 100 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Potassium 140 mg
    Saturated 1 g
    Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    ***SUGARS 3 g ***
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 12 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I you would like to add yogurt back into your life without a bunch of sugar, try the Kroger Carb Master yogurts if they are available in your area. They have several different flavors and taste very good.

I sometimes add thawed frozen berries to make my own McDonalds-like parfait but that does add sugar back in even if it is good sugar.

Calories 80
    Sodium 100 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Potassium 140 mg
    Saturated 1 g
    Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    ***SUGARS 3 g ***
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 12 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg

OOO interested.. What do you do? Sorry I never had it before so I have no idea.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I have discovered oatmeal made with vanilla almond milk and some walnuts thrown in after I cook it, is delicious!!

That sounds amazing!!! You heat up the milk instead of water?
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Calories 80
    Sodium 100 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Potassium 140 mg
    Saturated 1 g
    Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    ***SUGARS 3 g ***
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 12 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg

OOO interested.. What do you do? Sorry I never had it before so I have no idea.

The previous nutritional values are for the packaged yogurt only, I buy them at Smith's Grocery store. If you put in the extra berries it will be a little more to add in:

Kirkland Frozen Berries:
    Calories 70
    Sodium 15 mg
    Total Carbs 17 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Sugars 11 g
    Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

When I add the frozen berries all I do is set them out for about an 1 - 1 1/2 hours so that they will my their own syrup when they thaw. Then I just mix them in with the yogurt. The berries own thawed syrup almost makes it like a dessert that satisfies if you are craving sweets.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    for breakfast I usually have oatmeal, cream of wheat or yogurt. for snacks I love rice cakes, popcorn, fiber one bars, special K crisp bars, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, weight watchers ice cream bars, or of course fruits and vegetables
  • quentien3
    quentien3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How about to Carnation liquid breakfast combined with Isopure Whey Protein Isolate powder. Low Carb It'll provide you with all the minerals and vitamins required for a day. 7 grams of sugar, 12 carbs, 170 calories, and 31 grams of protein in each serving. Talk about a way to start the morning. I'll throw some goji berries in the blender just for kicks (antioxidants)!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    How about to Carnation liquid breakfast combined with Isopure Whey Protein Isolate powder. Low Carb It'll provide you with all the minerals and vitamins required for a day. 7 grams of sugar, 12 carbs, 170 calories, and 31 grams of protein in each serving. Talk about a way to start the morning. I'll throw some goji berries in the blender just for kicks (antioxidants)!

Wish I could but people sleep right outside the kitchen. :grumble:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Try jicama. I'm in love with it right now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachyrhizus_erosus
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

That sounds amazing!!! You heat up the milk instead of water?
    Yes I throw the milk (about 1/4 cup) and packet of instant plain oatmeal into a bowl, stir and microwave 1 minute then add almonds. Enjoy!!!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    So I need some new breakfast and snack ideas to go with my (1200 cal) diet bc I think that has a lot to do with why I havent been keeping up on it.

I do the Oatmeal, cottage cheese, and staying away from yogurt bc its high in sugar (yes even the plain has 16 grams in a cup). With fruit.

Snacks seeds, celery, apples

I try to stay away from a lot of foods that come in a box (crackers, pretzels)

Any ideas or what are your favorite meals and snacks? I am trying to up my veggie intake and lower my fruit intake.

Breakfast ideas that I eat:
    Egg Beaters scramble with feta or goat cheese, spinach and tomatoes
    Sausage muffin (Whole grain English muffin, 2 soy sausage patties, cheese, spinach, mustard)
    Protein Shake (Blackberries, skim milk, banana, protein powder, a little splash of orange juice)

Snacks:
    Pistachios
    Peaches and Greek yogurt (Don't hate on the yogurt because of the sugar. Eat Greek yogurt which has signifcantly more protein)

It sounds a lot like you're eating a good amount of carbs. Carbs are energy, which is great, but it sounds like you could probably stand to mix a little more protein into your daily mix of foods. Protein takes longer to digest so it stays in your stomach longer and you feel fuller longer. Just a suggestion!
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Kale chips - yummy and so good for you - rip up Kale into chip size pieces, spritz with a little canola oil spray,a little salt if desired and into the oven at about 300 for maybe 5-7 mins ( could be longer & depends on how moist the kale is). Keep an eye on them they go from perfectly crispy to burned very quickly

Hummus with pumpkin seeds mixed in then scoop up with carrots or celery sticks

Shredded wheat or shredded wheat 'n bran are my fave cereals because both have a single ingredient, wheat.

Not the easiest snack but very low cal = Amys Organic Butternut Squash light in sodium soup (whole can) with ripped up kale thrown in at the last minute just to wilt - super healthy as these things go, only about 220 cals. I try to avoid as much processed for as I can but these light in sodium organic ones seem OK occasionally.