BodyMedia fit system vs. UP Jawbone, etc

Options
Hi....I am new to the myfitnesspal app and love it so far.....I was considering adding a monitoring system IF enough people say that it has been helpful to them......I am just not convinced that it is necessary at this point......anyone ever used any of the systems? Thanks in advance for help!

:noway: I just had to add this little guy because he was so cute

Replies

• charycedm1
    charycedm1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i love my new up24 and would love to have a friend who shares in the program
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I wear the body media armband and I love it. As long as you are accurate with your calories and make sure you log everything it can be a really valuable tool. I like that it takes a lot of the guess work out and I pretty much know my TDEE from it. I don't have to eat a set standard of calories per day because I know when I have higher burn days and get to eat a little more. ;-) plus being able to see how you sleep is cool.
  • KCharron20
    Options
    I love my Body Media. I love the fact that I know exactly what I'm burning. I also love the direct interaction with MyFitnessPal.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I definitely love my Bodymedia. I agree with the others that it takes the guess work out of your TDEE. I also love the fact it records the "afterburn" from lifting and HIIT workouts.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing much weight at all 'til I got an UP. It spurred me to move more, and showed me a more accurate TDEE.

Edited to add that I also have a Fitbit Flex, and the Jawbone app is way better. But Fitbit sells other trackers besides wrist bands.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I got my Bodymedia when I needed help with maintenance. I really love it. Can't say how it stands up against any others because I haven't experienced any others, but the input of information I get from my Bodymedia is very important to me.
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit One - have done for the past year. I do think it helps keep me motivated which in turn helps with my weight loss etc. lots of models to choose from but I have no knowledge of them.

Good luck choosing
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    Love my UP for the social aspect of the app, the way it motivates me to move more when I'm not at the gym. In the gym though I use a HRM and I never log the calories that the UP band gives because I just see that as every day living (though extra active living). UP also motivates me to sleep more.
  • mbcooke99
    mbcooke99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used Body Media and Fitbit One and Fitbit Flex. (Yes I'm a gadget girl). I can recommend all three in convenience, performance and looks. I have really tried to rank them, but they are so close, I gave up. The important measures to me were steps, intensity of effort, and sleep. All of them performed well. I could have saved some money having only one, but then we are back to my being a gadget girl. I think any monitor, even just a pedometer helps keep me focused and on track. Try one!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I have found it lifechanging in two ways.

First, I find the One to be incredibly accurate in terms of my TDEE. If I reliably eat under what the Fitbit says my TDEE is by about 500 calories a day, I reliably lose about a pound a week. If I slack off and eat at what the Fitbit thinks is maintenance for me, my weight doesn't change over time. So it's made logging calories WAY more effective for me, because before I was just sort of blindly guessing at what my burn was. Turns out I wasn't very good at that.

Second, the Fitbit has changed my attitude towards my daily activity level by completely hitting the mark on the daily goals. Ten thousand steps a day is a fairly easy to attain goal that, if you have a desk job, you will completely bomb without making effort towards hitting it. So I started making the effort. Now, ultimately the difference between a 6k day and a 10k day is something like 100 calories to work with, so it's not a huge change, but it keeps you in the habit of being active.

The combination of the two completely revolutionized the fitness/weightloss thing for me, so I became something of a Fitbit-evangelist, and now a few of my best friends have them as well. The leaderboard feature - where you can see your weekly step totals stacked up against everyone else you're friends with - led into a competitive positive feedback loop re: the second feature, to the point where one of my friends and I were discussing how far a friend had fallen behind us since she was only averaging about 14k steps/day for the week.
  • quansc
    quansc Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the BodyMedia Fit System yesterday. I am even more excited now after reading these helpful comments. I didn't feel like the "calories burned" was always accurate. It seemed as though I was getting too much credit for exercising. I think this will help a lot.