Is it ok if I work out 2 hours and 40 minutes everyday?

Options
I was wondering if it's good for your body to work out 1hr and 20 minutes in the mornings
and another hour and 20 minutes in the afternoon or at night.

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Why that specific number?
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    You probably won't be able to eat enough calories or get enough rest to sustain it.
    You may be able to do it for a while, but in the end you will end up demotivated, tired, and with injuries, whilst lacking any real progress.
    There isn't really any benefit to training that much unless you are trying to become some sort of professional athlete.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    It's not going to hurt you if you are eating enough to fuel this much activity and you have the time. It's not necessary for any reason unless you are training for some specific event.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing and why you are doing it.

As an active dancer that also lifts weights I can do that much or more. But, still take active rest days.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You probably won't be able to eat enough calories or get enough rest to sustain it.

I doubt she's planning on eating any of those calories back.
    I currently weigh 150 and i'm trying to lose 20-40 pounds before my birthday witch is in February 17, unfortunately I am limited to working out.
    I can however jog/run/speed walk

What are other good possible ways to lose weight?
    and for how long should I work out every day?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1157876-how-can-i-lose-20-40-pounds-before-february-17
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

I doubt she's planning on eating any of those calories back.
    I currently weigh 150 and i'm trying to lose 20-40 pounds before my birthday witch is in February 17, unfortunately I am limited to working out.
    I can however jog/run/speed walk

What are other good possible ways to lose weight?
    and for how long should I work out every day?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1157876-how-can-i-lose-20-40-pounds-before-february-17

Oh. Carry on with your Bad Self, OP.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Arbitrary exercise goal is arbitrary
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Anything under 2 hours and 41 minutes is ok.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Based on your prior post, I would say no, it will not be beneficial in the long run and could well be detrimental.

Also, read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I first looked at this I thought she said an hour and 20 minutes workout in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening. So, I thought she did some kind of work out class in the morning and then 20 minutes of yoga at night before bed.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No, it's not.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to about 1.5-2 hrs x5 days a week, but that's just me. I know why I'm doing it and I like it.
  • nastyk57
    Options
    are you a high level athlete?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    exercise bulimia is real.
  • dulceberkowitz
    Options
    If i wanted to lose weight in an unhealthy way I would,
    I used to be anorexic there for I know how to lose weight in an unhealthy way,

but over time I recovered and gained healthy weight
    but I also ended up gaining more than I should have,

Now I'm try to lose weight in a healthy way,
    so I decided to ask some of you thinking you people could possibly help me
    instead of mocking me.

But thank you to all of you who were not rude
    and much rather supportive.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Be sure to take a rest day and if you're in pain, please stop. I'm not a health professional at all - just someone who got a stress fracture from too much cardio. (The reasons I was doing it is another story and have nothing to do with weight loss...)
  • dulceberkowitz
    Options
    The reason why I chose to lose 110 pounds
    is because I was the most happiest when I used to weight that much amount.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it's good for your body to work out 1hr and 20 minutes in the mornings
    and another hour and 20 minutes in the afternoon or at night.

Sure, it's perfectly fine for a person to work out that much. Many athletes do, for instance. I used to swim competitively growing up and most days I worked out for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Some days I worked out for 4 hours (a 2-hour morning workout at 6 am and another 2-hour afternoon workout, usually around 4 pm). As long as you're eating most of those burned calories back, it's healthy.

But just because something is healthy, doesn't mean it's manageable and sustainable. It's simply not possible to keep up a workout routine like that for the rest of your life. It's just not realistic. A person can only keep up with such a routine for a period of several years, at most. Eventually, you're going to burn out and go back to your old habits. Instead, it's better to break those old habits that made you unhealthy in the first place, build new healthy habits, and create a new diet and exercise routine that's sustainable and manageable for the long term. That way you won't burn out. :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    The reason why I chose to lose 110 pounds
    is because I was the most happiest when I used to weight that much amount.

I'm not sure if this was in response to me, but if it was - I wasn't questioning your choices to lose weight. I was just telling you what happened when I was exercising for over 2 hours per day. I joined a contest at my gym that encouraged over 2 hours of cardio per day. To be frank, I loved doing that much exercise - I had the time to do it, plus it made me feel amazing. Then everything began to hurt, including my foot. I could no longer walk and it turned out I had a stress fracture from not giving my body the rest it needed. So like I said, listen to your body. If you're exhausted, in pain, etc. slow down. I had to take a few months off from running and it was torture.