Post-Workout Recovery Shake - Help

I'm almost half-way through the Insanity program and I've been trying to find the best post-workout recovery shake recipe without having to buy the expensive beachbody results and recovery formula (or another expensive protein powder).

This is what I've been making:
Blueberry, Banana, Kale, Superfood Smoothie
-3/4 cup frozen blueberries
-1/2 frozen banana
-1 cup almond milk
-2 cups fresh kale
-1 tbsp chia seeds
-1 tbsp maca powder
-1 tbsp flax seeds

In total, this is the nutritional information:
410 calories
69g carbohydrates
12.5g fat
12g protein

I drink this right after my workout and drink about 32 oz. of water. Is this a good recovery shake recipe? Any suggestions to make it better?

If this helps, I'm a 21 year old female college student. I'm 5 foot 8, 160 lbs. and am looking to loose inches, gain muscle, get in better shape, and be all around healthier.

Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,140 Member
    Recovery drinks from a workout is more marketing than anything. All you need to do is hit your daily goals for your macro and micro needs.........the uncomplicated version.:smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    If I drink something specific for post-workout recovery it's usually chocolate milk. :smile:

edit to correct two typos in my one sentence
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Sounds yummy! Maybe throw in some Fage 0% Greek Yogurt for extra protein? Half a serving(so 113g) would add 50 cal and dbl your protein.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    I try to juice before I work out (apple, couple of kale stalks, a beet if i have one, carrots, ginger) and then after the workout a protein shake by Vega. I sell the beachbody shakes and can't stand them.

Today is my LAST workout of Insanity, and this has worked great for me!!

FWIW, a lot of poeple told me chocolate milk, but for the calories and sugar I just stick with the Vega - only 150 calories for the amount I make and it holds off hunger for a couple hours.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Have you ever thrown up? I threw up a few days ago. It was 10pm and I hadn't eaten since lunch. My lunch was definitely in there.

Have you ever significantly under-eaten one day, then had a terrible workout the following day? Even if your preworkout nutrition was perfect?

This should tell you something about the importance of immediate preworkout or postworkout nutrition relative to the importance of what you eat.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    That seems like a good thing to eat afterwords
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You won't gain muscle doing insanity
  • JanieJack

I beg to differ. I've gained arm and leg muscle. Abs are showing too,though I think that's more the fat is coming off vice actual muscle being developed, but the legs and arms show very noticeable difference in muscle.

While i have my concerns about so many repetitive exercises (I have to modify some of the impact ones to protect previously injured joints), I think Insanity is an excellent program for OPs stated goals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

I beg to differ. I've gained arm and leg muscle. Abs are showing too,though I think that's more the fat is coming off vice actual muscle being developed, but the legs and arms show very noticeable difference in muscle.

While i have my concerns about so many repetitive exercises (I have to modify some of the impact ones to protect previously injured joints), I think Insanity is an excellent program for OPs stated goals.

more than likely you have lost body fat that is revealing the muscle you already have..

Isn't insanity just a buch of high impact cardio/plyo? Not really sure how one would gain muscle doing that...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member

It is highly unlikely you have built muscle with a mostly-cardio program.

Building muscle (actually growing new muscle tissue) and revealing muscle (removing the fat over it) are two different things.
  • ndj1979
    OP - you really do not need a post workout shake….like others said..just hit your macro goals for day and you will be good to go...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Chocolate milk is fine - or just food. Also, no need to get it in immediately.
  • JanieJack
    You're entitled to your opinions, but I've been doing CF, marathons, weight training, tough mudders, and a variety of other challenging fitness activities for awhile now so I kinda know what my body is doing and how it works.

Insanity is a high-impact cardio program with the weight bearing parts being body-weight driven. I would be surprised that someone does all the variety of pushups and power jumps without developing at least a little bit of muscle.

I did it as my annual beat-the-holidays trick. Two things I did not expect was to go up a few pounds in scale weight, but with a drop in size and much nicer muscle tone (I thought since this was more cardio-focused it would cause more scale weight loss) and an increase in flexibility (I thought this program would hinder flexibility but he is very big on stretching and yoga poses).

OP I hope it works out for you! Just be sure to listen to your body. If you have to modify an exercise do it, but keep going!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/our-meta-analysis-of-protein-timing-thoughts-and-perspectives/

Practical Implications and Other Observations
    The take home message from the meta-analysis is that there does not appear to be a narrow “anabolic window of opportunity”; for the vast majority of the population it really doesn’t matter whether you consume protein immediately after training or wait for a couple of hours. This should be liberating for most lifters. You don’t have to worry about slamming a shake the minute you finish lifting. It’s okay to relax a bit, do whatever you need to do, and get in your post-workout nutrition when its convenient.

Now the findings of our study come with several caveats. For one, our criteria for timed consumption was < 1 hour pre- or post-workout, while the non-timed groups were > 2 hours. It is not clear if waiting say 5 hours or more after a training session would have a negative impact. In my previous review with Alan, we proposed that a window probably exists, but it is rather wide (4-6 hours) and will depend on when you ate your pre-workout meal. Our findings in this meta-analysis do nothing to change these guidelines.

Another important point is that there is a paucity of studies that have matched protein consumption between the timed vs untimed groups. Although our subanalysis failed to show any differences, statistical power was lacking and it remains possible that there may be an underlying effect that we were not able to detect. We need more well-controlled research where intake is matched between groups.

Finally and importantly, the majority of studies were carried out on untrained subjects; none employed elite bodybuilders or athletes. There are numerous differences between newbies and experienced lifters, including anabolic responsiveness, the ability to train at higher levels of intensity of effort, the capacity to recruit the full spectrum of muscle fibers, etc. These factors may or may not have an impact on the importance of timing. We simply don’t have enough info to make a determination at this juncture. Moreover, the measures used to assess hypertrophy (i.e. DXA, MRI, CT, etc) have inherent limitations and might not be sensitive enough to show small effects that potentially could be meaningful to competitive athletes. So if you are a highly trained lifter where it is essential to achieve absolute maximal hypertrophy, it makes sense to consume protein as quickly as possible post-workout; doing so certainly won’t hurt and possibly might help, albeit to a small extent.
  • ndj1979
    You're entitled to your opinions, but I've been doing CF, marathons, weight training, tough mudders, and a variety of other challenging fitness activities for awhile now so I kinda know what my body is doing and how it works.

Insanity is a high-impact cardio program with the weight bearing parts being body-weight driven. I would be surprised that someone does all the variety of pushups and power jumps without developing at least a little bit of muscle.

I did it as my annual beat-the-holidays trick. Two things I did not expect was to go up a few pounds in scale weight, but with a drop in size and much nicer muscle tone (I thought since this was more cardio-focused it would cause more scale weight loss) and an increase in flexibility (I thought this program would hinder flexibility but he is very big on stretching and yoga poses).

OP I hope it works out for you! Just be sure to listen to your body. If you have to modify an exercise do it, but keep going!

it is not an opinion…..cardio exercises do not build muscle…I also assume that you are eating in a calorie deficit, so even if you were lifting heavy you cannot build muscle while eating in a calorie deficit…so you would not add muscle while doing a primarily cardio routine and eating in a deficit….its basic physics and math, and all that good stuff...
  • JanieJack
    .cardio exercises do not build muscle…I also assume that you are eating in a calorie deficit, so even if you were lifting heavy you cannot build muscle while eating in a calorie deficit…so you would not add muscle while doing a primarily cardio routine and eating in a deficit….its basic physics and math, and all that good stuff...

It's not only cardio exercises. It's cardio + weight bearing.. have you watched them? The way to build muscle is training to fatigue, combined with proper nutrition and appropriate rest. You can accomplish this with bodyweight (the key is training to fatigue - just takes longer if you're not using equipment), so this workout is a great combo effect. I disagree with those who think only weights on a bar count as weight bearing. Though, in honor of this discussion, I just changed my profile to my fave pic with weights on a bar haha. And why would you assume I am eating a calorie deficit? It's the holidays. Part of why I added something to my existing routine is because I know during this time of the year I'm going to eat more.

sorry OP for the threadjack... we can now return to recovery shakes...
  • ndj1979
    .cardio exercises do not build muscle…I also assume that you are eating in a calorie deficit, so even if you were lifting heavy you cannot build muscle while eating in a calorie deficit…so you would not add muscle while doing a primarily cardio routine and eating in a deficit….its basic physics and math, and all that good stuff...

It's not only cardio exercises. It's cardio + weight bearing.. have you watched them? The way to build muscle is training to fatigue, combined with proper nutrition and appropriate rest. You can accomplish this with bodyweight (the key is training to fatigue - just takes longer if you're not using equipment), so this workout is a great combo effect. I disagree with those who think only weights on a bar count as weight bearing. Though, in honor of this discussion, I just changed my profile to my fave pic with weights on a bar haha. And why would you assume I am eating a calorie deficit? It's the holidays. Part of why I added something to my existing routine is because I know during this time of the year I'm going to eat more.

I stand by my original assertion that cardio based exercise regimen will not build muscle…and if OP just does insanity that he/she will not gain any muscle. yes, I have seen some of the videos and they appear to be primarily cardio/plyo...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

It isn't training to fatigue that builds muscles, it's progressive overload. You can only increase reps to a certain point before you have to add weight to continue the overload. Insanity is cardio.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

I stand by my original assertion that cardio based exercise regimen will not build muscle…and if OP just does insanity that he/she will not gain any muscle. yes, I have seen some of the videos and they appear to be primarily cardio/plyo...

^I have to agree with this. Insanity (even though it includes resistance type exercises) is done in a way that it is, effectively, cardio and endurance. Now, if you are just starting to workout, then even the basic body weight exercises are challenging and you'll experience some newb gains. But even body weight routines require some sort of change to them to increase resistance.

The easiest way for this would be to add weight, but if not, there are variations of the basic body weight exercises that make things harder. (i.e. half push ups, to push ups, to declines, divebombers, handstands, etc). But Insanity isn't really doing that and it's focused on aerobics more than increasing weight resistance (doing higher reps at lower weight).
  • Thanks for the advice and support! Although Insanity may not build muscle as much as weightlifting or other programs, I've already noticed that I've gotten stronger. I've been able to do many more pushups than I used to be able to do as well as more complicated ones (moving pushups, shoulder taps, v-push ups, etc.) with more reps and better form. So I definitely think Insanity will help me hit my goals. I'm also an NCAA athlete so I know how to weight lift but I'm liking how I feel after Insanity better than after weight lifting right now.