Someone please help me develop a plan

Options
I have no clue how to figure out the amount of calories I should be consuming in order to lose 2 lbs a week. I'm 5'4, 215 lbs, and as of right now I don't exercise but I do plan on walking at least a mile or two every day to start out. I've used the tdee and bmr calculators but I don't under stand which number to go by. Please help!!!

Replies

• djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    Set up your profile in the Settings, you can choose how many pounds a week you can lose. It's pretty cool.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    MPF probably gave you 1,200-1,300? If you follow what MFP gives you, you should lose 2 pounds a week (except one week a month!). The best thing to do in my opinion is to give it a month or two and then you can see how you are doing. It will take at least a month to see a trend in your weight loss. Women are very cycle-driven in their weight loss so you should wait at least that long to see how you feel, how your losses are each week, and just as important, measurements and how your clothes fit.

*Edited to add- If you are looking for support, feel free to add me. I have logged in nearly 200 days in a row and try to be supportive to my fit pals. :o)
  • WannaBeThin87
    WannaBeThin87 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mfp suggests 1200 but I've read so many times on this board and other places that 1200 is way too low and we should be eating more...this stuff confuses me.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    its like the first thing MFP does when you sign up.
  • Sovictorrious
    Options
    its like the first thing MFP does when you sign up.

Oh...then the link that Mia_RagazzaTo posted should be a wealth of information.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi.

know and calculate your BMI. find out where you are either underweight, normal weight or overweight. you can do that here....
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

once you know your target weight, now you can calculate your BMR. you can do that here....
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

next - update your diet profile on MFP.
    - type in current weight
    - adjust goal weight
    - adjust activities

- adjust goal (i.e lose 1lb/week)

hope this helps
  • WannaBeThin87
    Options
    Based on the link that was posted I should be eating anywhere between 1500-1600 calories daily to lose. Thanks :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Mfp suggests 1200 but I've read so many times on this board and other places that 1200 is way too low and we should be eating more...this stuff confuses me.

Because it is 1200 net, not gross...MFP is a NEAT method calculator so exercise is extra...you're supposed to eat back exercise calories. 1200 gross when you're doing a lot of exercise is a recipe for disaster down the road...doing it the way it is intended to be done isn't that big of a deal unless you don't have a lot to lose...then there are other issues.

MFP does the math...just make sure you're not underestimating your intake and overestimating your burn. I lost 40 Lbs easily over 7 months just netting to MFPs calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Based on the link that was posted I should be eating anywhere between 1500-1600 calories daily to lose. Thanks :)

which would be the 1200MFP calories plus you exercise I would imagine...this is the thing that people just don't seem to grasp.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    MPF probably gave you 1,200-1,300? If you follow what MFP gives you, you should lose 2 pounds a week (except one week a month!). The best thing to do in my opinion is to give it a month or two and then you can see how you are doing. It will take at least a month to see a trend in your weight loss. Women are very cycle-driven in their weight loss so you should wait at least that long to see how you feel, how your losses are each week, and just as important, measurements and how your clothes fit.

*Edited to add- If you are looking for support, feel free to add me. I have logged in nearly 200 days in a row and try to be supportive to my fit pals. :o)
    We're cycle-driven? No. Just no.
  • Sovictorrious
    Options

If you bump me with your vag we can sync cycles.
  • WannaBeThin87
    Options
    I never exercise. But obviously once I start to exercise I won't be going crazy. Walking a mile or two is what I intend to do.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

aet8qr.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have no clue how to figure out the amount of calories I should be consuming in order to lose 2 lbs a week. I'm 5'4, 215 lbs, and as of right now I don't exercise but I do plan on walking at least a mile or two every day to start out.

Forget formulas, forget math, just KISS.

Eat 1500 calories a day. Log everything. Walk 3 miles a day, four days a week. Weight daily.

Do this for four weeks.

At the end of the four weeks, calculate your weight loss per day. If that number is greater than 2 pounds a week, add 150 calories/day to your intake. If that number is lower than 2 pounds a week, reduce your food intake by 150 calories a week.

Do this for four weeks.

At the end of the four weeks, calculate your weight loss per day. If that number is greater than 2 pounds a week, add 150 calories/day to your intake. If that number is lower than 2 pounds a week, reduce your food intake by 150 calories a week.

Repeat until target weight is reached.
  • WannaBeThin87
    Options
    Thanks so much!!!
  • kimd2090
    kimd2090 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got super confused in the beginning too. I have about 70# to lose and thought that the 1200 was way to low too, but as has been said the 1200 should be after all food & exercise has been logged for the day. Feel free to add me as a "pal" ...Starting over...again...and for the last time!
  • I think 1500 is easy to stick to and enough to get you to lose weight especially if you plan on exscersising!☺️
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

In for the vag bumping;)