Fruit and Sugar

Options
Today I have done much better with healthier foods than normal, however my sodium and my sugar are too high. A lot of my sugar comes from yogurt, fruit, and a granola bar. What I'm wondering is whether or not sugar from fruits is really bad for you! Also, what are the effects of salt or sodium and what is a reasonable amount to stay under?

Message me or comment please. :)

Replies

• kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugars from fruits, and I eat a lot of fruit. A high amount of sodium will cause your body to retain water, other than that, I try to stay between 2000-2500mg of sodium a day.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Sugar is one of the nutrients that MFP, for unknown reasons, tracks by default. This is not something that you need to be concerned about as it is set artificially low in the first place. Plus, unless you have a medical reason for doing so, tracking sugar is pointless.

Sugar is a carb, so just track carbs. And no, carbs, in and of themselves, do not make you fat.
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    My sugar is always really high Cus I eat a high carb vegan lifestyle so it's all from fruit. Now sodium on the other hand ???? I drink about 3-4L of water a day and don't want water weight! Ew so I keep mine under 1,000 but I'm normally around 500-700, your body doesn't need more than 350mg of sodium anything above that is bad most of America eats about 2,500-3,000. If you want water weight eat sodium if you don't don't eat it. Always but no salt added products (which they make for almost everything) and you will cut your sodium by a ton.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The sugar in whole fruits isn't an issue. The sugar added to things like yogurt, granola, etc...might be in issue...But only to some. Generally worry about your calories and your macros.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I track sodium just so I know where my water retention comes from some days lol. Unless you have a medical condition, I would ignore it.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always high bc I LOVE grapes... Lol. I don't worry about it too much other then when I eat so many grapes it upsets my stomach... Lol... If only I was joking ;).
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars in fruit are only an issue if you are diabetic and following a lower carb diet like myself. Even so, the dietician told me to not bother with the sugar numbers and to just follow the carbs.
  • amanda_richelle
    amanda_richelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is a way to change what MFP tracks. Unfortuently, I can't remember how to change it to tell you. Instead of sugar I track fiber. I always go over my sugar (usually because of fruit) and it was getting very frustrating seeing the red number in an otherwise good day.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Havn't had a piece of fruit since mid feb. (and lost 57 lbs, from 221lb 30%+ BF- 164lbs 12%) for reasons I won't discuss here because I just know it'll throw some people into a hissy fit.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Depends on where you are in terms of BF%. I am at a low BF%, so for me, cutting fruit from my diet helps me drop weight at a much faster rate since fruits are fairly carby and high in sugar; but for most, it doesn't need to be cut from your diet.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, sugar from whatever source is not necessarily bad. Total calories matter. Adequate nutrition matters. Grams of sugar doesn't really matter.