Changes to sleep from weight loss?

Options
After losing 23 lbs (11% of my body weight) I now sleep like the dead. Pre-weight loss i slept ok but always bounced out of bed at 530/600 am. Now i can barely drag myself out of bed at 7 AM and keep my eyes open past 11 PM.

Anyone else experience a similar change?

I am wondering if that is a sign of my metabolism just turning off due to the loss. I read some demoralizing internet stuff that said if you lose a lot of weight your body will start producing hormones to shut down your metabolism and make you hungrier.

I am trying to assess if that is happening to me and to plan/change/adjust accordingly.

thanks for your input/thoughts.

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you've cut your calorie intake drastically, that could be affecting you. Perhaps switch to a slower weight loss or maintenance calories and see if this improves.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    . I read some demoralizing internet stuff that said if you lose a lot of weight your body will start producing hormones to shut down your metabolism and make you hungrier.

If your metabolism were "shutting down", you'd be gaining weight. Which you're not, right?

I think something else is going on. Do you go to the bathroom a lot at night? Do you snore?
  • duncanhoo
    duncanhoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep losing - averaging 1 or slightly more lbs./week.
    nope and nope. just sleep straight through - like the dead.
    . I read some demoralizing internet stuff that said if you lose a lot of weight your body will start producing hormones to shut down your metabolism and make you hungrier.

If your metabolism were "shutting down", you'd be gaining weight. Which you're not, right?

I think something else is going on. Do you go to the bathroom a lot at night? Do you snore?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try going to bed at 10 pm and see what happens. Post your results.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin maybe?

Are you doing a lot of exercise that you didn't do pre weight loss mode?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, eating at a deficit and exercising makes me feel like I need LESS sleep. I went from NEEDING 9-10 hours of sleep to feeling like I need 5 or less.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I felt like I slept better when I lost my 25 lbs. I think I was just working out regularly enough to tire myself and destress myself.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I sleep less after having lost the weight, but I find that I usually sleep easier because I work out.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I sleep worse, because I lost 25 pounds of insulation and now I'm constantly cold.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Overall my sleep is better. Early on, one of the first positive changes I noticed was that I could sleep on my stomach without feeling squished. :-)

However, I've had to wear my thermals to bed for almost the full year (including in summer) to keep from being too cold.

Also, if I don't eat enough before going to bed, my hunger wakes me up in the middle of the night. It's not unusual for me to log my "breakfast" food after midnight.
  • Marshmaster
    Marshmaster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always get my eight hours of sleep in and sometimes more by going to bed by 8:30 or 9:00 pm and then waking by 5am or so to work out. Drink your water and eat your regular meals and I think you should be fine. I don't have any problems but then again we are all different; what works for me may not work for you. :)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Iron levels? If you cut a lot of red meal out of your diet and didnt replace them w green leaves like spinach, you could be experiencing fatigue from iron deficiency. As someone mentioned, try a multivitamin. :). If that doesn't help, see your doctor!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    need to check your daily goals. if your exercising you need to eat more.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45lbs since August. I have the exact opposite problem now. I can't sleep. I go to bed at 10pm. Wake up at midnight. Wake up at 3am. Then at 5am I am up. I can't sleep in. It is driving me insane. The doctor prescribed me Elavil to sleep and that med actually helped, but the side effect was gaining weight. So, I take unisom. Which helps me fall asleep, but it doesn't keep me asleep.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    I've lost 45lbs since August. I have the exact opposite problem now. I can't sleep. I go to bed at 10pm. Wake up at midnight. Wake up at 3am. Then at 5am I am up. I can't sleep in. It is driving me insane. The doctor prescribed me Elavil to sleep and that med actually helped, but the side effect was gaining weight. So, I take unisom. Which helps me fall asleep, but it doesn't keep me asleep.

Is there a reason that your doctors chose to use an antidepressant off label vs using a sleep med like Ambian?

Edit: elavil is used to treat sleep frequently for individuals resistant to other sleep ,eds. However it is a very odd first line drug for sleep use unless you have other issues like depression, sleep walking, etc.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Is there a reason that your doctors chose to use an antidepressant off label vs using a sleep med like Ambian?

Edit: elavil is used to treat sleep frequently for individuals resistant to other sleep ,eds. However it is a very odd first line drug for sleep use unless you have other issues like depression, sleep walking, etc.

My insurance doesn't cover prescriptions. A few years back I tried Ambien and hallucinated. Flushed them down the toilet. She prescribed me Lunesta but it was $240 for a months supply. I do have anxiety so I take Zoloft. That is probably why she prescribed Elavil. It was $2 for a months supply.
  • inside_lap
    Options

My insurance doesn't cover prescriptions. A few years back I tried Ambien and hallucinated. Flushed them down the toilet. She prescribed me Lunesta but it was $240 for a months supply. I do have anxiety so I take Zoloft. That is probably why she prescribed Elavil. It was $2 for a months supply.

$2 vs $240 plus a bad reaction to Ambian. Sounds like good reasoning to me... Lol. Unfortuately weight gain is pretty common :P

Edit: darn autocorrect....
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    After losing maybe 20 pounds I was able to go off Ambien and was sleeping great for a month or two, but now I'm back to not sleeping well. Last night I took half an Ambien (left over from before I went off them) and slept from 9:15-1:00, then again from 2:30-6:30.
  • duncanhoo
    duncanhoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yes some changes. i worked out 5-7 days /week already mix of heavy weights and cardio. Switched down to almost entirely cardio. I think the iron/vitamin deficiency posts are what i will look into. thanks for the input.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Soooooo....how many calories are you eating each day?