Help and recipes needed

Options
Hello I am new to the site and looking for advice on foods that help me feel full and last. Also looking for some kid friendly recipes!

Replies

• paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would check through the recipe section of the message boards - lots of ideas there. One of my kids' favorites is shredded chicken tacos - cook some chicken breasts (about a pound), shred the meat, add about 1/4 c water & a packet of taco seasoning mix (or if you are staying away from sodium, just add a bit of cayenne & cumin) & heat through. Use 2-3 oz of meat in a soft burrito. Top with normal taco stuff - tomatoes, lettuce, a touch of low fat cheese - and voila! As long as you check the calorie counts on the burrito shells (the small ones are great - and get whole grain if you can), you can eat one of these for under 200 calories. You can do the same thing with beef or pork.

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
  • amberchristi
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I've been on the site for a while but just started on the message boards. There's an entire board just for recipes, so hopefully you'll find lots of good advice.

Kid friendly and healthy has always been an issue for me - my step kids and my toddler are always wanting chicken strips and french fries - so I understand your struggle. I've found that just having a fruit bowl out on the counter does wonders - bananas, oranges, even mangos are a big hit in my house.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

I wish I could offer you the Nutritional Info on what I invented, but I'm not good at that (sorry) :embarassed:

I stir-fried onions (yellow or white will do), with green and yellow peppers in long strips (fajita style) in a very little bit of EVOO (but you could use an unsalted and light butter/margarine of your choice). Once tender, I added a can of mild enchilada sauce (next time, I'm going to add ½ the can with ½ a can of water to lower the sodium count) :wink: and sliced Zucchini and Spaghetti Squash and added it to the stir-fry. It was tender and ready in less than 10 minutes and :love: it was yummy! Hope you like that idea :smile:

Kid-friendly: Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich for protein, potassium and I make it with Wheat Bread :happy:

I put low-fat yogurt (I like Fiber One and Dannon Light) in the freezer for a little, just to make it a little more solid. Split a banana in half (like a banana split) with yogurt in place of ice cream with sliced (unsalted) almonds.

Take a healthy flatbread, add a low sodium spaghetti sauce, add pineapple chunks, ham and 2% mozzarella cheese on it (or fat free). You can also make it of just veggies instead :tongue:

Hope this helps and you're welcome to add me as a friend if you'd like :happy: