High calorie holiday leftovers

Options
What do you do with your holiday food that is just sitting there calling your name? I have a box of candy my mother gave me, apple pie and lemon meringue in the fridge, cheesecake and cookies from my sister-in-law, etc. I find it hard to just throw these in the garbage. My family does not have as much of a sweet tooth as me, so they wouldn't mind if I got rid of them.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Fresh stuff I've been enjoying in moderation (well, not so much moderation on Christmas Day and the day after, but getting better!) It is a bit harder juggling the calories, but it's good food, most of it made by me, and I'm enjoying it! I'm accepting that it might take another few days for my food routine to be fully back to normal. Christmas dinner leftovers have all been made into pie and soups now, so that helps.

The stuff with a longer shelf life (chocolate, packaged cookies etc) I'll be enjoying for weeks to come, just as I do year round anyway.

The stuff that isn't worth it to me (in terms of taste) I've left to others, and unfortunately some will be probably be wasted, which I hate to see. If you have things you don't want to eat, can you try to give it away rather than throw it out? Friends, work colleagues, neighbours?
  • BXCHICAinOHIO
    BXCHICAinOHIO Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I too have a difficult time throwing food away. Have you considered packing up the left-overs and giving them out? Perhaps a piece of cake to your postman, the check out staff at the library, other folks you regularly interact w? What about neighbors who have college kids home visiting? Or neighbors who's kids are on vacation? I don't allow tremendous amounts of left overs to stay in my home bc I WILL eat them, so I send them back w the owners or give them out as tokens of appreciation.
  • Netteyc
    Netteyc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What about cutting the cake up and freezing it? You can then eat it in moderation. Some of the other goods will keep if you put them away. I have given a lot of my chocolates away as I know that I have no will power and would eat them all! x
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Also, do some research on what can be frozen successfully.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I threw out the remaining cookies we had left. Maybe re-gift the chocolates if you haven't opened them yet. You could save them for a hostess gift or give them to your newspaper carrier. You could also just save them for some New Years snacking and then throw out what is not gone after that or take them into your work to share with coworkers. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just posted about the same thing, lol. I guess I've been enjoying everything in moderation, but my macros have been totally out of whack the last few days and I went over last night because of a piece of cake. We're having guests again tonight so I'm getting pretty sick of it actually... I'm very tempted to just throw it all out!
  • vld1308
    Options
    Hi;

I have a terrible sweet tooth but you could give the food to a shelter if it hasn't already been eaten or distribute it to homeless people who haven't had that much of a good christmas!

Just a way of keeping good energy up and being charitable x You don't need it and you would have gratification from giving the food away to other people who would enjoy it so much!

Giving to neighbours or postman/ plumber etc if you don't want to drive to a shelter is also a good idea.

Just a thought. Blessings and good wishes for the New Year xx
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Freeze what you can, that you REALLY will enjoy later- no point in eating unhealthy stuff unless you truly love it, and have it in small portions.

Have another party and serve what you have, or just invite friends over to help you eat it. If everyone has a little, no one is too bad off.

Throw out what ever is left. It took me a long time, but I throw out the kids leftover food when it isn't something healthy, instead of finishing it myself. It isn't worth it! If its on my body instead of the trash where it belongs!
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The apple pie and cheesecake can be frozen. Just cut 'em up into individual slices. I have no idea about the lemon meringue, but I suspect that the meringue part won't survive the freezing/thawing process very well, so maybe enjoy that now or give it away.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I have no issues throwing out food I don't want....that said, I don't waste food. I only make enough for there to not be leftovers!

I'd rather throw the food in the bin than treat myself like a trash can...
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'M STRUGGLING WITH THE HAM ....I THOUGHT ABOUT THROWING IT OUT...NEXT YEAR I AM GOING TO BUY DELI HAM.
  • studentgirly
    studentgirly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just throw it out.
    If you don't want to eat it and no one else will just throw it in the trash.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Just throw it out.
    If you don't want to eat it and no one else will just throw it in the trash.
    ^This
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    What do you do with your holiday food that is just sitting there calling your name? I have a box of candy my mother gave me, apple pie and lemon meringue in the fridge, cheesecake and cookies from my sister-in-law, etc. I find it hard to just throw these in the garbage. My family does not have as much of a sweet tooth as me, so they wouldn't mind if I got rid of them.

I eat it. I have a big box of biscotti that I eat one or two of a day, I have lots of chocolate that I don't feel like eating now, but later I might want to have some and I have half a cheesecake in the freezer cut up in slices of around 200 calories.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I threw all the desserts and sweets I made into the freezer....keeps me from snacking on them.

So sick of turkey BTW.....:sad:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I just toss all those sweets in the trash.

the-eclair-o.gif
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I would have to throw it out, freezing chocolates and some types of baking doesn't work for me it tastes just as good frozen
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    We enjoy home made gifts and treats during the holidays. The day after Christmas I decide what needs to be given away.
    Things are re gifted and taken to places in our community like the senior center and the community center. Items with a shelf life and some goodies that we can box and put in tins can be used for their group parties & gatherings.
    A small portion of home made treats are put in our freezer, too, for a snowstorm & Valentine’s.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Due to the sheer volume of baking that is done this time of year by my wife, neighbors, mom, sister, etc...it is inevitable that a lot of that ends up getting wasted and thrown in the trash. Sorry...but I can't eat an entire chocolate cake, an entire jello cake, an apple pie, a pumpkin pie, and 4 plates of cookies. I still enjoy my deserts these days, but I don't eat big deserts like that with any frequency...maybe once per week. Usually desert for me consists of a couple pieces of dark chocolate and some almonds washed down with some milk...huge slices of pie just aren't in my current repertoire.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'M STRUGGLING WITH THE HAM ....I THOUGHT ABOUT THROWING IT OUT...NEXT YEAR I AM GOING TO BUY DELI HAM.

3 words...

Split Pea Soup...

Also, leftover ham makes for some awesome sammiches. Ham is pretty low cal and delicious.