Exercise and depression

Options
2»

Replies

• starlaca
    starlaca Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to go deep here, but you brought it up of course. This is pretty common and alright, at least that someone should feel better when they workout, but it's important to look at why you feel depressed when you're not working out too, yea?

It could just be a stressful job, which isn't a bad thing, (for instance my gf is in med school, and working out helps her manage stress/feel better, and get some activity in), or maybe there's more to it.

So yeah managing stress with activity is a great way to work through it, but make sure you're dealing with your issues as well.

I see what you're saying but I don't think that my depressed feelings when I'm not working out is a "major" issue. It's not like I feel like slitting my wrists or anything, or isolating myself from the world when I don't exercise. I think it just boils down to what everyone else said, working out releases endorphins. Not to mention I think I just feel better about myself because when I work out I tend to eat better than I do when I don't work out. And when you are good to your body I think you just feel better all around. Thanks for your concern though. :flowerforyou:
  • starlaca
    Options
    I've noticed that when I don't exercise on a daily basis that I get depressed.

Lucky you - you've discovered at least one way to help stave off depression. :flowerforyou:

I enjoy working out, but can't say that a lack of exercise induces any real problems for me.

Too bad I can't bottle it and become a millionaire! :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME ME ME ME

1-2 days and I'm totally fine- after 3 days I'm moody- grumpy- lethargic and extremely negative- any thing more than 3-5 days and I"m straight up depressed.

My mood is intrinsically tied to working HARD.

This is why even when I'm super tired- if it's my day to go to the gym- I go. I set a time- I find a good video to make me feel like a fat *kitten* (Watching DLB always does this for me) and then I go- no matter how crappy my workout- at least I went- once I stop going it's insanely difficult for me to go.

So it's just a rule. I must go. Regardless. Staves off the gremlins!
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are bad emotions?

I just meant that it was bad to feel that way. It probably makes my workout less effective?!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME ME ME ME

1-2 days and I'm totally fine- after 3 days I'm moody- grumpy- lethargic and extremely negative- any thing more than 3-5 days and I"m straight up depressed.

This is why even when I'm super tired- if it's my day to go to the gym- I go. I set a time- I find a good video to make me feel like a fat *kitten* (Watching DLB always does this for me) and then I go- no matter how crappy my workout- at least I went- once I stop going it's insanely difficult for me to go.

Same here! Without my regular workouts I can wind up manic or depressed, even on meds. With a lot of hard work though, I am as stable as can be, and super productive. And no meds except a touch of the ole four twenty.

I go as far as taking a TRX with me to an audition if it disrupts my training schedule. After I sing, I run to a park or whatever and I get one in if I can't hit a gym.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to go deep here, but you brought it up of course. This is pretty common and alright, at least that someone should feel better when they workout, but it's important to look at why you feel depressed when you're not working out too, yea?

It could just be a stressful job, which isn't a bad thing, (for instance my gf is in med school, and working out helps her manage stress/feel better, and get some activity in), or maybe there's more to it.

So yeah managing stress with activity is a great way to work through it, but make sure you're dealing with your issues as well.

I see what you're saying but I don't think that my depressed feelings when I'm not working out is a "major" issue. It's not like I feel like slitting my wrists or anything, or isolating myself from the world when I don't exercise. I think it just boils down to what everyone else said, working out releases endorphins. Not to mention I think I just feel better about myself because when I work out I tend to eat better than I do when I don't work out. And when you are good to your body I think you just feel better all around. Thanks for your concern though. :flowerforyou:

Yea absolutely. It's definitely not all about the endorphins. It's just my nature, I'm happiest when I'm moving.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Exercise is nature's Prozac.

Better than prozac because it helps the boner to work better! Which leads to more happiness.
    That may be too much info, but it is the truth.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of Seasonal Affective Disorder season here, and I need the endorphins from working out to get me through my day. I normally work out 6 days a week, and on my "rest" days I will at least go for a walk outside if the weather is nice (it usually is here in Phoenix).
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there are others out there who treat depression with exercise.

Absolutely yes. Sweat is the hot, new, anti-depressant. : ) I concur that while one doesnt need to exercise every single day for the normal array of health benefits, I definitley need to incorporate some movement (preferably outside) daily. Even workout program appropriate 'rest days' sometimes affect my mood. I have to really listen to my body and give it the amount of endorphins it requires. Playing with my dog is great for that!
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of Seasonal Affective Disorder season here....I will at least go for a walk outside if the weather is nice (it usually is here in Phoenix).

I was recently commenting to a friend that I cant imagine living in the Pacific Northwest for this reason. If we get three cloudy days in a row I can feel the drain. I'm so thankful for sunny places like Phoenix!
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes. The holidays throwing off my exercise routine sent me way down. On rest days I try to get a long walk outdoors, usually yoga as well. Skipping days can set off a bad cycle for me.
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm the exact opposite. I get depressed and overwhelmed with feelings of worthlessness during and after exercising because it reminds me how fat I am.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I use exercise to help me with depression, too. My bouts come and go. I don't exercise daily (usually 5-6 days per week) but I do get really down and pissy if I haven't trained in a few days. I still take meds but I find they don't work as well if expected to work on their own.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was recently commenting to a friend that I cant imagine living in the Pacific Northwest for this reason. If we get three cloudy days in a row I can feel the drain. I'm so thankful for sunny places like Phoenix!

I live in the PNW, and really it just depends where you live. On the western side (Seattle, Portland) it's really rainy, but once you pass the Cascades it's mostly deserty. Where I live in Washington, we get about 5 inches of rain in a year.

Also, I just want to say that exercise is great when you're dealing with mild depression, but if you're experiencing major depression if you aren't getting a hard workout in every single day, it might be best to talk to a doctor about it.

I guess I'm not clear on how you define the exercising daily. I walk my dog and do at least some (sometimes only 15-20 minutes) yoga daily, but I don't really count that as exercising daily. For me, I don't count that as exercise, more just a part of life, but if that's what you mean it sounds fine and healthy. If you're saying you need to lift for an hour then run 5 miles every single day with no rest days, that isn't healthy and alternative methods of dealing with depression (therapy, medicine, and so on) would be worth looking into.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I take rest days, but on those days I'm totally wiped and I need it., so I go for a hike or whatever for exercise, but I don't TRAIN on rest days.

I'm in much the same boat. I find that, rather than becoming depressed, I become more irritable if I have too many idle days. So I try to have some physical activity each day. I've found that even just taking my dog for a walk for 20-30 minutes instead of just letting her run around the back yard, while not as cathartic as a training day, is usually enough to take the edge off.

I'm much like this. I wasn't able to do exercise a few days prior to Christmas due to lack time. Work and social gatherings etc. Was hoping to do some Christmas Day/Boxing Day but i then got tonsillitis and lack the energy to do much. I've managed 20 mins wii fit yesterday and today and though not alot, I feel better for it.

ETA; a close family member of mine suffers with depression and anxiety. She defo finds exercise helps lift her.
  • rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety disorder and extreme low moods. At first when I joined MFP I was really hesitant to exercise because when you exercise your heart rate increases and that's really triggering for me. The situation I'm in now makes my mental health more important to me than my physical health but a lot of MFP users stressed how important exercise is and after advice from my therapist I started exercising and already feel the mental benefits even though its only been a couple of days! Combined with the weight loss (I've lost 2 inches around my waist) my mood had definitely picked up. It's nice to feel in control over my body and even if I don't have excellent mental health at least I'm improving my physical health. I'm a bit worried about whether or not I'll be motivated enough to exercise when my anxiety is really bad but I'll deal with that hurdle when I get to it.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME ME ME ME

This! I'm home from college now for the winter break, and too much food + lack of exercise + not being busy with school work is making me crazy! I start dwelling on things I shouldn't be dwelling on and my mood decreases significantly.

I find that I have a low mood, exercise and sleep cycle that I need to keep in balance. If I don't exercise, I don't sleep as well at night. If I don't sleep as well at night for several days straight, my mood decreases significantly. When my mood decreases and I'm tired, I'm way less likely to exercise, and the cycle continues. Sleep + exercise = healthy and happy for me!!
  • starlaca
    Options
    I'm in the middle of Seasonal Affective Disorder season here....I will at least go for a walk outside if the weather is nice (it usually is here in Phoenix).

Me too! I'm in California and all this week it will be in the upper 70s. Who could ask for anything more? :bigsmile: