Question

Options
I am confused, at the gym I use the elliptical, I put in my weight and as I am working out it checks my heart rate, however it tells me the total calories I burned is 326 and my hrm says 236...should I just ignore the machine and go with my hrm???? anyone else ever have this problem?:ohwell:

Replies

• altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am confused, at the gym I use the elliptical, I put in my weight and as I am working out it checks my heart rate, however it tells me the total calories I burned is 326 and my hrm says 236...should I just ignore the machine and go with my hrm???? anyone else ever have this problem?:ohwell:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    go with the HRM--the machines are not accurate.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Everything I've heard says that those machines typically aren't accurate too and I know one of my instructors says the machines are more accurate for men then women. I usually take off calories just to be sure since I don't have or know how to use the HRM.
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately HRM readings are the correct ones.
    I've been exersising according to my trademill for 600 cals at a time. I've been eating those 600 cals on the top of my BMR. That is until I've got HRM that tells me that my workouts are 300 cals only. I've been overeating and underexersising all along.
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That's scary. I've never used a HRM. I wonder if I'm not burning as many calories as I thought. It would sure be nice to know, but they are so expensive!!
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That's scary. I've never used a HRM. I wonder if I'm not burning as many calories as I thought. It would sure be nice to know, but they are so expensive!!
    HRM's are more accurate than the machines, by far.
    They are expensive, but so very worth it.
    Consider asking for one as a gift, but do some research and find one that is going to work for you. That's how I got mine. Polar is a pretty popular brand (I have the F4) and there are some good threads with recommendations.
    According to my favorite elliptical, I burn 750 calories in 45 minutes. but the HRM shows 450. :noway:

Also, the treadmill shows that I burned 75 calories in 1 mile, or about 16 minutes, but the HRM is at 150. Go Figure?!:frown:
    The machines are not really set to the individual, and your HRM is.