Very low calorie diet mess up metabolism?

Options
So I hear all the time that a very low calorie diet will mess up metabolism, but how bad will it be?

My doctor has put me on a very low calorie diet, between 600 - 800 calories a day. Pretty extreme I guess but it's for a medical procedure that I need to have done beginning of March so I am willing to do it for a couple of months.

But I am now really worried about afterwards. The doctor is hoping for me to lose up to 30lbs by then, so I will still have maybe another 20lbs to lose after that to get to an ideal weight.

How messed up is my metabolism going to be? I'm also worried about struggling to keep off the weight lost through the very low calorie diet.

Any advise anyone?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If the doc is ensuring your nutrient intake is solid, you should be fine.

As far as what happens afterwards, that's entirely in your hands. If you go back to how you were eating before, you will get fat again, that you can count on.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You questions are really more appropriate for your medical advisors. Maybe your doctor can "prescribe" a few visits with a certified nutritionist after your medical procedure is complete. But in general, it is pretty difficult to mess up one's metabolism permanently. You might just need to help your body re-program what normal is, once the time has come. Exercise and muscle development can help with that.
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No it wouldn't. All u have to do is to ensure you keep on tracking your weight, meals and workout thereafter.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. It's a shakes diet the doctor has prescribed, he said that the three shakes will provide me with 100% of the vitamins and minerals that my body needs. I then have a small piece of protein (white meats, fish or eggs) with green veggies or salad leaves.

Protein is pretty low compared to what I am used to, averages around 60g per day with the above, more if I have chicken or tuna though.

Doc has said I can do light body weight training and he said I should be fine with my kettlebells and some swimming, just not loads of cardio or high intensity training as not enough calories for that.

As long as it's not going to make it super hard to lose weight after I will be happy. I've been losing weight at a slow but steady 3-4lbs a month but it just wasn't fast enough to do this procedure in time. If I can carry on with losing like that afterwards that would be perfect.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    eating 600? maybe a pound. 800? idk not sure.

i'll just worry more about the surgery than weight gain.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    eating 600? maybe a pound. 800? idk not sure.

i'll just worry more about the surgery than weight gain.

Thanks. It's not major surgery or anything, local anesthetic only. The weight loss is to ensure the meds that I have to take prior to the surgery have the correct effect as weight can affect it.

Oh and by the way, very low calorie diets suck lol. Can't wait until after end of Feb and I can get back to my regular 1800 cals!!