Trying Meatless Monday's... but I really like meat LOL

Options
Ok so my husband and I are avid meat eaters, first of all, but with the cost of meat rising as well as our waist line I'm thinking of introducing meatless Mondays. What are some recipes that are meatless and you don't miss the meat (I hope that makes sense.) Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you love meat, maybe you can stay within your calories, hit your macros and move more? Then you wont have to give it up. But that's just what I do. It's not easy but I don't have to give up foods, even for a day.

As for recipes, try pinterest. I find so many options there.
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There are so many great recipes that don't include meat and you won't even miss it for one day! If you add tons of veggies it will fill you up and with the right spices, you will save on cals and it will taste awesome. I am trying to do fish 3 days a week, its a struggle but I am trying. I do a meatless day once a week already.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    If you love meat, maybe you can stay within your calories, hit your macros and move more? Then you wont have to give it up. But that's just what I do. It's not easy but I don't have to give up foods, even for a day.

As for recipes, try pinterest. I find so many options there.

This. I always miss the meat. Why give it up if you love it?
  • lindzann88
    lindzann88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm giving it up for only 1 day a week and to help save money. Our biggest food cost is meat so if i can cut back on how much we eat it would really help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Eating meat doesn't make you gain weight....giving up meat won't make you lose weight. Maybe look at your serving sizes...that will do more for your budget than just cutting it out once a week. I used to easily throw down a 10 - 12 oz steak or a 1/2 Lb burger, etc....now I usually have a 4-6 oz steak, my burgers are usually around 1/3 Lb...I usually only have about 1/2 a chicken breast (on average a full breast is around 1/2 Lb so I cut it in half to get around 4 oz), etc.

Not only will reducing your serving size help your budget, it will also help shrink your waist line as you will be consuming less calories....which is what really matters when you're talking about losing weight.

While I personally do enjoy meatless meals from time to time, I've never come across anything that I was like, "wow...I can't even tell there's no meat in here." If you really want to do it you're just going to have to get over the fact that there's not meat on your plate or in your soup or stew or casserole or whatever. There are literally millions of vegetarian recipes on-line.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I ate pescetarian for a year, and my husband has done so for 11 years. But even in the past when I was married to a guy who was a meat eater and I was, too, we had AT LEAST 3 dinners every week that were meatless. I think it was primarily (and subconsciously) due to budgetary concerns. But we didn't even notice, in fact I remember hearing about Meatless Monday and wondering why that was such a hyped up thing!

How about subbing out some fish, shrimp, black or pinto beans, lentils, and/or eggs in your favorite dishes? A few more ideas

Breakfast for dinner like omelettes (no meat), pancakes, French toast

Spinach & cheese enchiladas with a side salad or Spanish rice

Veggie fajitas

Manicotti with mushrooms and/or spinach and marinara (no meat)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    OP doesn't want to try meatless mondays cause she thinks it's the culprit of her waist size, she wants to save some cash.

Anyway, OP, what do you guys usually have? You can pretty much turn anything into a vegetarian dish

tacos
    enchiladas
    mac n cheese
    burritos
    pizza
    bean soups

i'm sure you can google "meatless mondays" and get a lot more ideas.

good luck
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Meatless Monday is a win for everyone - for you, the animals, your wallet, and the environment.

I've been vegan for three years, but I LOVE the taste and texture of meat, so I completely feel your pain! Here's a few meatless recipes that don't taste like rabbit food:

Lentil Loaf: Easy, cheap and hearty! Also great for freezing.
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/ricelentilloaf.htm

Mushroom Barley Soup: So warming and filling!
    http://kindkitchenphilly.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/mushroom-barley-soup/

Rice and Beans Five Ways:
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/rice-and-beans/

Lentil Sloppy Joes: Kid Friendly!
    http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

Channa Masala:
    http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06/super-easy-channa-masala.html

Feel free to reach out with any questions - I'm always happy to help!
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Corn-mushroom risotto (leave out the bacon) - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/corn-mushroom-risotto-recipe/index.html

Taco soup, like this one - http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-taco-soup-29121 Although I only use beans (no peas, corn, green beans) and don't use a ranch packet.

You can also make lots of pastas with no meat, alfredo, spaghetti, even lasagna. You may notice it missing from those if you always have them with meat, though.

Oh another option would be to make a nice soup, like broccoli cheddar, and serve it with salads and a nice crusty bread!

Check out some recipe sites like food.com, allrecipes, and even FoodNetwork. There's lots of good, meatless stuff out there!

Oh and one last veggie recipe that I love, golden rice bowls! http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/04/golden-rice-bowls/
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Lentil tacos are my fave. I also do a lot of Mexican dishes with beans.
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yum when we have meatless mondays, My husband will roasted broccoli,carrots,red onion, and portabella mushrooms with olive oil and garlic powder and sea salt and we eat it with some quinoa! wow!!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'd start with some dishes that you might of traditionally had with meat and just sub the meat for a vegetarian protein source. For instance, do burgers with veggie burgers (or soy chicken burgers, there's so many types now). You can do a taco/burrito/nacho meal but sub either soy meat, or even better & cheaper - beans or lentils.
    Make a vegetarian chili (very cheap, very filling!) - I make mine with a couple types of beans, tomatos, peppers, onions, and whatever other veggies i might have laying around I throw that in too. Pasta Salad is easy too... pasta, beans, veggies. Minestrone soup. Tomato soup & grilled cheese. Tofu isn't much (at least not usually, I usually can find it for 2$ a pack) and if you work with it, you might find ways you like it (maybe in a stir fry? you can buy a big bag of frozen veggies for stir fry pretty cheap). Sloppy joes using lentils might be a fun, meaty option too.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I agree with the poster above about tofu. I don't love tofu, personally, but it can be a nice alternative protein source. We get the extra firm block for a couple dollars at the independent health food store nearby. If you get it at big box supermarkets it seems to be twice the price. I think it's pretty good in stir fry but my favorite way to eat it is seared in a pan and tossed with traditional BBQ sauce. SO tasty!! Great with any side(s) you would normally have with BBQ, too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you eat fish- it isn't meatless monday.

fish = meat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

fish = meat.
    and fish tends to be expensive too depending on where you live.

OP you can substitute mushrooms, eggplant and beans in just about any recipe you'd use meat in. plus they have a hearty texture.

i dont recommend tofu. although the taste can be nice (it takes the flavor of whatever it's cooked in, so if you've properly seasoned then it';ll be OK) i personally hate the texture
  • KelleynBradyBoys
    Options
    Things you could try:

*fish or seafood
    *breakfast for dinner:
    - eggs and hashbrowns
    - an omelet with veggies
    *cheese quesadilla with a dollop of reduced fat sour cream
    *baked potatoe with cheese, chives and sour cream
    *grilled cheese and tomato soup
    *pasta with mariniara
    *stuffed shells with ricotta
    *veggie chili

the list goes on... meat is really not that great anyways. IF buying meat, choose organic and you'll be doing yourself a lot of good by avoiding the antibiotic-laden crud the USDA allows on our table.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You got lots of great suggestions, but I just want to say that I think it is great you are doing this. Not only do you save money, you are saving the environment too - an added bonus and just one more reason to feel good about it.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=meat-and-environment

BTW, if people disagree, no worries. It is something I personally believe, and while I am a meat-eater, choose to be conscientious about.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • seltzermint555
    Options

fish = meat.

I have never heard anyone refer to fish as meat until your post. Interesting take on the subject.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Potato tacos, pasta, stir fry without meat,
    http://www.thekitchn.com/easy-weeknight-dinner-potato-t-104274