Is 20lbs in 8 weeks realistic?

Options
I am eating 1200 calories a day, doing HIIT cardio for 20-45 minutes and doing a bit of body weight training. I am 5'3" and 138lbs, 31 years old. I am wondering how realistic 20lbs is in 8 weeks. I am going to Jamaica and so want to wear a bikini.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It is unrealistic. At your weight, a half pound to a pound per week is more realistic.
  • wheird
    Options
    Also, screw everyone else. wear the bikini.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It is unrealistic and trying will almost certainly lead to loss of muscle. your plan is what is called overdieting. Extremely low calories & too much exercise.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Also, screw everyone else. wear the bikini.

Good post. I agree.
  • brownshoesh
    brownshoesh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is unrealistic and trying will almost certainly lead to loss of muscle. your plan is what is called overdieting. Extremely low calories & too much exercise.

We'll I don't want that:( what can I realistically expect/do in a 8 week period? Is 1200 calories not enough?
  • wheird
    Options

We'll I don't want that:( what can I realistically expect/do in a 8 week period? Is 1200 calories not enough?

1200 calories is fine-ish. But you simply cannot lose that amount of weight safely in that short a period of time when you're not that big to begin with.

I'm sorry, but you should have started sooner.
  • brownshoesh
    Options

1200 calories is fine-ish. But you simply cannot lose that amount of weight safely in that short a period of time when you're not that big to begin with.

I sort of did start sooner. I have lost about 15lbs over the last 2-3 months but I haven't been really serious about it. I guess I am just wondering what to expect if I were to get consistent and work really hard for the next 8 weeks. Thanks for your info:)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I sort of did start sooner. I have lost about 15lbs over the last 2-3 months but I haven't been really serious about it. I guess I am just wondering what to expect if I were to get consistent and work really hard for the next 8 weeks. Thanks for your info:)

Kudos on the 15lb loss! I'm not really sure where you're going with this line of question though? If you have dropped that weight over approx. 2-3mth time frame without being consistent. Then you already know that you can lose some lbs realistically within the next 8wks. Just become more consistent & see where you are 8wks from now. Weight loss isn't a definitive "I will lose X amount by Y timeframe". Enjoy your trip.

*Also obviously can't tell as no profile pic - but if you're fair skinned a spray tan always helps if you're fair skinned (just my personal opinion).
  • brownshoesh
    Options

Kudos on the 15lb loss! I'm not really sure where you're going with this line of question though? If you have dropped that weight over approx. 2-3mth time frame without being consistent. Then you already know that you can lose some lbs realistically within the next 8wks. Just become more consistent & see where you are 8wks from now. Weight loss isn't a definitive "I will lose X amount by Y timeframe". Enjoy your trip.

I gave heard though that the closer you get the goal, the harder it is to lose the weight. The more you have to lose, the faster it comes off. Is this pretty accurate usually?
  • GREEKSTATUE
    Options
    If your obese and bloated easy. If not very unhealthy
  • kieran9810
    kieran9810 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11lbs in 6 weeks by exercising twice a week for 45 minutes and eating at 500 calorie deficit. I'd aim for 10 pounds and tone up too, 30 day shred would help you tone up!
  • elliek0101
    elliek0101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would expect to lose between 4-8 pounds in 8 weeks.

No matter what you lose, you've already lost a lot of weight, so put your bikini on and enjoy your vacation!
  • brownshoesh
    Options
    Ok so I have readjusted my goal for 8 weeks:) thank you for all your info. For those of you who have done the 30 day shred, what do you log for activity? Also. Should I be eating my calories back?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have readjusted my goal for 8 weeks:) thank you for all your info. For those of you who have done the 30 day shred, what do you log for activity? Also. Should I be eating my calories back?

Some people eat calories back. Some people don't. Middle of the road is 50% to make sure you don't over estimate.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    comes out to 2.5lbs a week. You risk losing some lbm