How many calories do you burn working out for a hour

Options
I was wondering how many calories do you burn for working out moderate to high intensity for one hour. I recently purchased a Heart Rate Monitor the polar FT4 and wore it today for the first time. I just worked out for one hour and it said that I burned 826 with an average heart rate of 157 bpm and in the range 125 to 165 bpm for 35 mins. Is it possible to burn 826 calories? Everything that I'm reading says that you can burn about 400 to 500 but not 800. I tore my ACL and just had surgery so I was out for 3 weeks and this was my first time in the gym since surgery. A little out of shape so I'm sure my heart was beating faster but not that much. Does this sound right or is it broke?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to burn that much, but only a small percentage of people are fit enough to do so. For example, a 180 pound man would need to run 8 miles in one hour to net that burn.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age, weight, fitness levels etc but I can burn 400 cals in 30mins on the elliptical trainer with an av HR of around 140 (5' 6", 41y-o female and 219lbs).
  • lwg001
    Options
    Cool well that makes me feel better that the Heart Rate Monitor isn't broke. I'm just 5'10 and 155. I used to run a lot and got up to a half in about 1 hr and 50 mins but that was a year ago when I could run. I guess I'm in better shape than I thought I was!
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here's a website I use to calculate calories burned when I'm wearing my spare HRM that doesn't provide me the information automatically:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Put in your numbers and see what you get...remember, there is a difference between "gross" burn and "net" burn.
  • cwaltz
    Options
    I wear an FT4 working out and I'd say that is possible for an hour workout. An intense workout, but definitely possible. I'm a 5'11", 155 lb female and I frequently burn in the mid 600's for a 45 minute workout.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Assuming the HRM is calculated. Are you wearing a chest strap also? I burn over a Thous cal/hr with an HRM/chest strap. My RHR is 50. Good job getting back into the game of it all :smile:
  • keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You were working out at 81.3% of your maximum heart rate which is fairly intense. It most definitely is possible to burn that many calories, but if you desire fat burning, then you need to drop that intensity down to about 70% or 135 bpm.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible.
    I've just done 75 minutes of interval training on a Spinning bike and burned 936 (Polar FT7) so that's a rate of 749/hour.
    My current maximum I could record would be about 800/hour flat out.

Beware that like everything it's an approximation - you can't really count calories by heartbeats, it's just an algorithm comparing age/sex/weight against a set of standard results.
    When I was less fit and hit higher heart rates I once recorded 900/hour but in reality my actual power output and endurance is better now.

I've used the numbers given by my HRM to eat back calories "earned" and it's worked out OK for me - just be prepared to make adjustments based on your actual weight loss results if required.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I get very confused with that too... just now I did Zumba for 40 min, MFP says I've burned over 300 cal... it seems too much to me...
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Cross reference it with an online calculator for the activity. Cal burns on HRM are usually over-estimated. In the last link is some info on HR zones and training

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

http://walking.about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/a/hearttraining_2.htm
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0, 114lbs, and the most I've ever burned in an hour was 500, Polar HT60.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate. If you're doing steady state cardio, they are somewhat accurate, but if you are doing anything else, they aren't accurate at all, because they are only designed for steady state cardio, and don't have calculation formulas for anything else.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Here's a website I use to calculate calories burned when I'm wearing my spare HRM that doesn't provide me the information automatically:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Put in your numbers and see what you get...remember, there is a difference between "gross" burn and "net" burn.

Thank for posting this link
  • LUV2CARDIO
    LUV2CARDIO Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia Fit.... I consistently burn about 500 cal per hour on the elliptical when I do higher intensity days. The machine of course will have me believe that I burned 680, and MFP tells me 800+. I of course rely on the armband to tell me the truth. The bad thing is those armbands to not count the calories for weight training...so I am constantly under my numbers on MFP. Truth be told, my 2 hour workouts are around 700 cals burned give or take 50. I am 5'2" female 186lbs 30% body fat. :bigsmile:
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing-- an hour on the eliptical I will burn about 500 calories- yesterday running for an hour I burned 850.

but it also depends on weight, fitness, exertion, etc.

do you have a heart rate monitor with a chest strap?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    That sounds a little high for me, but not completely implausible as an estimate. My Garmin Edge 800 cycle computer with HRM calculates that I burn around 680-720 calories an hour at an average heart rate of 150-155 (78-81% of my maximum), mostly steady state. I'm 5' 10" and weigh 168 lbs. at present. The Edge factors in bike speed and the road grade (climbing, flat, descending) as well as heart rate, though it can't account for wind resistance.

When I'm burning an estimated 700 calories an hour, I'm sweating fairly constantly and feeling like 7-8 on the Borg RPE scale (10-point version).
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    From what others have said it is possible. For me, my highest burns so far (according to Suunto Quest HRM):

Running: 1 hour; PTE 4.3; 621 calories
    Biking: 1 hour; PTE 3.8; 450 calories

I am only about 5 weeks into my running. I've been biking for a while, usually long distances (did 100 km charity ride and various ld training rides last summer/fall).
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Cool well that makes me feel better that the Heart Rate Monitor isn't broke. I'm just 5'10 and 155. I used to run a lot and got up to a half in about 1 hr and 50 mins but that was a year ago when I could run. I guess I'm in better shape than I thought I was!

Unfortunately at your height and weight it is almost certainly wrong, though it is *POSSIBLE*, you'd be a very high level athlete running or climbing hills for that burn and with your recent injury, almost certainly its wrong.

HRMs do a horrible job measuring burnt calories if its not steady state aerobic exercise over a long term, and they dont subtract what you are already counting that you picked in activity level (a portion of the measured burn/hr is what you'd burn anyways sitting on your butt). If you are doing various activities, or worst yet weight training, it will be very high typically (or low if contact is broken). The 800+ range is much more probable for taller guys over 230lbs like me, but I have to work my butt off to get my 900/hr rate and I still think it is high for me after doing an analysis over time.

EDIT -- I just reread this: " it said that I burned 826 with an average heart rate of 157 bpm and in the range 125 to 165 bpm for 35 mins" I was assuming this was a one hour burn. It is impossible for you to burn this much in 35mins sorry, way out of whack. The portion above applies to me thinking this was VERY unlikely over a 1hour time frame only, for this rate at 35 mins burn, you'd have to (for example) have run over an 8mph speed while loaded with 80lbs for it to be...close to accurate.
  • souti_in_oz
    Options
    during a fitness class that goes for around 70mins i burn about 1100 calories. I do take pre trainer and do not stop moving for the entire class (ie running on the spot while the instructor is talking) my average heart rate is around 150bpm.

I'm male 192cm tall and 95kgs.
  • whoajulie
    Options
    I bought the same heart rate monitor and used it for the first time last week. I did a high-intensity Cardio Circuit that my trainer set up. (We are doing a Biggest Loser competition at my gym, and I want to win! )

My workout was 1 hour, 20 minutes, and it said I burned like 743 calories by the end of it. I was shocked. Granted, that was the hardest I've worked out since I joined my gym, but still. I didn't think that sounded right. I have been working out consistently since November, so I am in better shape now.

Tonight I used my HR monitor while playing Just Dance on xbox for an hour, and that was more like 300 calories, and my heart rate never really got to my target of 151. So overall I think it's accurate. It just depends on the intensity of the workout, and if your HR stays in the target zone I think. :smile: