Running paced by music bpm?

Options
Does anyone run and pace themselves by the bpm (beats per minute) of music? is there a program that tells you how many bpm a song has? Or can speed up or slow down a songs bpm?

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do, and am in for answer to same question. I use trial and error now and it is not optimal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Rockmyrun is a website that offers running music. You need credits to get the music, you get one free credit per month and you can buy more. Lists are 1 -3 credits (the longer the playlist the more credits). They offer playlists by BPM.
    I've never run with BPM so I can't offer any help with how that acutally works.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Have you tried typing "bpm app" into your phone's app store search feature? The results start coming after "bpm" is typed. I use fitradio, which has genres organized by bpm count. The counts aren't strict but it's a good compromise between the right pace and music you can actually listen too. There are others that just basically play a casio keyboard sounding like beat. There are others that will organize your personal playlist by bpm so spinning instructors and the like can synchronize tracks to specific workout cadences.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    +1 for for radio.
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I rather like the site Steady 130. They have a mix site with hour long workouts at 130 and 150 bpm (steadymixes.com). They do have a limited number of workouts for things like spin classes with variable speeds.

And it's free, which is nice, although they gladly take donations.

=Betty=
  • WindyJenny
    WindyJenny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use Podrunner. You can get it as a download, podcast or as an iPhone app - for FREE. They offer a wide range of bpm mixes, and even have an interval version. It's their own music mix, very well done and I find it motivating. Try it out!

http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    PaceDJ will take your music library and sort it by bpm. I know it's available on iOs; not sure about other platforms.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just use distance divided by time to figure out my speed.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I use a website called Run Hundred when I feel like downloading new workout music. It tells you the bpm of songs and even has mixes that you can download.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    If you use spotify you can search for playlists that other people have made
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    in for the info :smile:
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    jog.fm is a free website that lists songs by bpm as well as minute mile so can make play lists at 11 min miles, 10 min miles, etc. And/or you can search by artist/song to see the bpm if you want to incorporate some of your favs!
  • 1waj123
    1waj123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump. great information. doing couch to 5k now and need new music:)
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • droxeene
    droxeene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also in for the info!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    jog.fm is a free website that lists songs by bpm as well as minute mile so can make play lists at 11 min miles, 10 min miles, etc. And/or you can search by artist/song to see the bpm if you want to incorporate some of your favs!

This. Jog.fm is usually where I go to find good workout music, but I have gotten great suggestions on the forums before so I thought I'd check here too.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I will also throw a plug out for jog.fm

For short runs I will listen to anything upbeat that gets my energy up, but for long runs I have a special playlist of songs all around 180 bpm that I built by digging around jog.fm one morning. (I have found that my splits are MUCH more consistent since I started using the 180 list!!)