Starting over at 35.

Options
Hi all,

I'm Nicki from Liverpool in the UK. I'm a single mum to a very moody almost-13-years-old daughter. I turn 35 in less than a month and I am sick of this excess weight I've been carrying around since I was a teenager! I've dieted in the past and managed to get as low as 13st 11lbs (I remember my delight at reaching that weight in 2004 as I'd never seen 13st anything on scales for me since I was about 11 years old!) but I'm an emotional eater and I've managed to gain all the weight I've lost and added some more. Today I weigh in at 18st 7 3/4lbs and I need to get down to 12st for the sake of my health.

I suffer from Raynaud's, scoliosis, high blood pressure (usually managed to just keep within the high side of normal since I started having it measured at 15 years old) and they have all gotten much worse as my weight has increased. I now also suffer with breathing difficulties, sore hips/knees/ankles and 'women' problems all of which have been put down to my increased weight. I've now had enough. I want my life back. I want to shop in regular ranges for clothes, instead of always the plus size. At this rate I won't see my daughter turn 18.

I grew up with big portions and constantly being told "you're not leaving the table until you've cleared your plate!" so my portion control is hopeless. My scoliosis meant I was unable to do sports at school (by order of my doctor at the time due to the treatment I was receiving) and as a result I hate just about all sports. I like to walk, and I used to walk 8 miles a day for 'fun', but at the moment I struggle to walk any distance without pain. I plan on changing this in the New Year by slowly building up to walking a decent distance again. Exercise DVDs I've done in the past are also a struggle for me. I just get too out of breath. So I'm starting off with using my daughters Wii Fit to try and increase my exercise slowly.

Food is a struggle. I've been lazy the last few years and have become more and more reliant on take-away food, or filling up on pasta. I am a carb addict and so is my daughter. I'm trying to get her to eat more healthily as I've noticed she's choosing crisps and chocolate over fruit/veg as she gets older, whereas when she was little it was hard to get her to leave the fruit/veg alone. I don't want her making the same mistakes I made growing up as that how I ended up the size I am. Given the choice she would live on pasta, pizza, cola, fried chips and sausage.

I've tried MFP before and I did do well, but I fell off the wagon. I am hoping that 2014 is the year that I can loose the weight (even if its just 40lbs!) and start living the life I want, instead of the one I'm forced to live.

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year 2014 to everyone from around the world on these MFP boards! We can all meet out goals if we stay focused and follow the program (tracking our food and tracking our exercise each and every day).
  • WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi

Wow, you sound just like me, or the 'me' I was.

I was 35 when I decided enough was enough at 15st 8 and 5ft 4. January 2012 - That's when I took the bull by horns! January 2014 could be YOUR year.

I too, was brought up to clear my plate and was a size 16 and 12 stone at age 12. I didn't exercise at all. I didn't exercise whilst losing the weight either. However, I didn't have your medical conditions and I can only sympathise with you. I do exercise now, but mainly that's so I can eat more at maintenance!

I too have a 13 year old, very moody, overweight son. However, this is being addressed and in the last 3 months he last lost a stone. I really understand your worries about your daughter, but I couldn't bring my son's weight up with him for some reason. He approached me and I am trying to teach him some good food values, though, in the end, it is MY fault he ended up being overweight in the first place.

I just want to say, it's never too late, or too early, to learn new ways of eating. I have maintained a 5 1/2 stone loss for the last year - I know in the New Year when I weigh in I will have gained, but hey, those lessons I've learned have taught me how to get the pounds off again.

I wish you all the best, add me if you want a buddy!
  • MistyRose0424
    MistyRose0424 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi, nikki i also have a 13 year daughter so i know how that goes lol. As for your weight loss were all in the same boat just take it one day at time one pound at a time. You can do it have faith in your self and lead by example. and hopefully your daughter will follow. Goodluck to you feel free to add me as a friend
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I am 35 and think I am having that mid life crisis slightly early !!
    I started a size 18 on here and similar start weight to you.
    I have only lost 20lbs so far, but due to this site I have managed to change my whole lifestyle and my routines.
    You CAN do it.
    Please feel free to add and hope we can help support one another!
    Vicki
  • andream0423
    andream0423 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I thought I had an eye opening moment last year around my 39th birthday. I bought a fitbit and used it although only to track, not necessarily to hold me accountable for my increased activity. Now it's only 4 month to my 40th birthday and I have an additional 20lbs to loose - ughh. I also have a teenage daughter (15) who is beginning to adopt my unhealthy eating habits. I need to stop and change this now! I need help, anyone please feel free to add me if you'd like, I'd love to find some friends who also have had issues (or successes) with loosing weight. I'm beginning to have many medical problems and it is getting harder for me to move around. This is really beginning to scare me and my doctor even put me on Cholesterol medicine. My goal is to not have to take it longer than 6 months. This has been a wakeup call and I need to make my changes now. I have a lot of issues with willpower so I am hoping that the support on here will help me stay accountable.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I just turned 36 5 days ago...mom to 2 lil girls. Been on here for almost 3 years (in March) since youngest was 3 months old. Lost 63lbs but have gained back 20lbs. NOW I have 50 more to lose. Hoping 2014 is my year because last year all I did was gain and lose the same 20lbs. Always looking for people close to my age for support and motivation...I think it gets harder the older you get. I also have hormone issues and am HYPERthyroidism- (yup, and fat. :( ) Please feel free to add me.