Wasn't sure where to put this but: migraines and dieting!!

Options
Hi
I didn't really know where to put this but i just wondered if anyone else suffers with migraines and struggles to not eat so much when getting them? I suffer with them quite often and have got one today because i have made sure i didn't eat too much! Anyone else suffer and if so wot do you do to make sure you don't end up eating loads to try get rid of it? Today i'v tried drinking lots of water and taken some paracetamol but its not going.
I won't take anything stronger then paracetamol any more because i am trying to concieve

Replies

• JLeeAlton
    Options
    I have suffered from headaches and migraines since I was 15. I have noticed that when I wait to long to eat I get one. So everytime I feel hunger pains I try to eat something asap. Whether its just an apple or an actual mean I try to eat right away.

On a side note, I have tried many many things in the last 19 years to subdue my headaches/migraines. I would wake up with them.. go to bed with them.. have an aura migraine at any given time .. just bam.. I have one. I had my wisdom teeth pulled and got checked for TMJ. I have a mouth guard made as well. When that happened the oral surgeon gave me script of muscle relaxers. This was 3 months ago. I take one every night at bed time.. I no longer wake up with headaches or get any during the day. Maybe one headache/migraine a month now when I used to get them every other day. Just wanted to pass that along since my struggle has been a long and painful one.
  • Hollyhocks89
    Hollyhocks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks huni yer i have suffered with them since i was about 13 (puberty lol) think its all my hormones i havn't actually got any triggers some ppl have certain foods etc that trigger them buut i don't really!!
    But yer i am like you wen i get over hungry i get them but i am not sensible like you and eat i wait haha!
    I will try and change and eat when i am hungry and not wait see if that works for me :smile:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I suffer horribly from these monsters, have had one the past two days as we speak. I take Maxalt, it works wonders, but sometimes have rebounds, like today....ugh....the medication is so expensive also. If my blood sugar drops, that can trigger one. I try to eat lots of raw fruits and veggies so my blood sugar doesn't drop.
    I have heard and tried all kinds of things, feverfew (an Herb) is known to help with migraines, you can brew it as a tea, or I somethings just chew a leaf, but be warned...its VERY bitter! But it does work if the headache has not gotten bad. I know some people that drink peppermint tea also.
    Not sure if that will even help you any, expect for you to know you are not alone!
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Just eat when your hungry and don't wait!! Carry snacks in your purse too.. they have alot of 100 calorie snacks.. that way there is not reason to wait =)
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I had/still have them at times. Mine started earlier this year and the doctors and I thought it was due to BC meds. Switched those 2 times.. (:laugh: :laugh: fun fun) and had all that screwed up. I have TMJ but was not causing the Migraine. Go figure it was my sleeping. I had the sleep study done, got on the CPAP and have only had 2 since August. The 2 I had were triggered by the weather and my sinuses.
    Don't think that helps you any but I can tell you it has sure helped me LOTS...:flowerforyou:
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I suffer from agonizing headaches as well, and also, like a previous poster was diagnosed with TMJ.. I clench my teeth when I am frustrated, stressed, etc. Now that I am aware that I do that, I try to pay attention and stop clenching when I notice I am doing it. That has cut the number of my headaches down considerably. But like you, when I get them the first thing I look for is something to eat. Fat free milk helps me. I think in part because it is cold, as I also will head towards the frozen yogurt for relief. I don't know if anything in this will help you or not, but I thought I'd share.. Good luck!
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is from not eating? Many times if you are dehydrated you will get a headache as well. Also, if you are cutting caffeine or sugar out (or drastically reducing) of your diet, you may get bad headaches. If this is the case, give it a week or two and it should get better.
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I too have had migraines since i was a teenager. I understand not wanting to take any heavy meds. I take Relpax which is pretty amazing. Only took 30 years to find something that worked and didn't zonk me out for hours!
    As far as eating. In general, you definitely want to follow the snacks between meals rule and always drink enough water. If i get one i won't make myself eat until the medication kicks in. if i had one and didn't have the meds i would probably not worry about the calories - eat if you can and feel free to eat more if you are hungry as you can make up for the calories by exercising the next day.

good luck
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I dont normally get migraines, but when i started eating the 1200 calories a day that the site recommends I got one in a matter of days. When I lost 5 lbs by the end of the week my boyfriend pointed out that perhaps I wasn't eating enough. I had initialy put my activity level as sedentary and my goal at 2 lbs per week, but the rapid weight loss and headaches were kind of an indicator for me that he might be right. I adjusted my activity level to lightly active, and my desired weight loss to 1 lb per week, and this changed my recommended calorie intake to 1400 per day. I immediately saw a difference and am still losing weight, only at a more gradual pace which is supposed to be more effective in the end anyways! This could potentially be the same problem you are encountering?
  • smithbuddy
    Options
    you drink nutrasweet drinks? if so that can be the cause of migrains nutrasweet is toxic to the body at any amount and causes migrains, twiching, sever mood swings and in bad cases sympoms like M.S. Look it up and see just google it. Fake sugers will be the death of us all.
  • bcmallwalker
    Options
    I've had migraines for 25 years. My worst ones, the ones that last 3 days are the hormonal type. Although, I do have food triggers as well. I take topamax everyday to prevent them & imitrex injections when I get one. I have never had a problem with wanting to eat too much to try and get rid of one, because I usually feel sick to my stomach and don't want to eat.

One nice thing about menopause, if you have hormonally triggered migraines you will probably have less or none. I have hardly had any lately.

For those of you suffering right now, I feel your pain. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Bcmallwalker - i was on topomax.. that drug is awful and once you stop taking it the effects last for a long long long time. It gave me dry skin... the ability NOT to sweat anymore - more or less hyperthermia.. it made blood vessels in my face come to surface and i have broken capallaries on my cheeks now. I stopped taking it 5 years ago.. my skin is still dry.. and i still have trouble sweating normally and I overheat alot. I read alot of blogs about the troubles people had taking that drug and what happened to them afterward. The dermatologist/pathologist I worked for also found some interesting articles concerning topamax. I am not trying to be a debbie downer.. but I just wanted to voice my opinion.

However I do take imitrex if i need too.. it works for me every time.. and I will continue to use that. =)
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your storeys with me!
    Would pepsi max be a nutrasweet drink?? coz i do drink that quite often but usually it helps me get rid of migraines rather then causing them! I have only just started this diet on day 2 today and I felt one coming on earlier but didn't want to eat as i had already put in wott i was going to eat for the day and was waiting to do my dinner silly i know :ohwell:
    I was prescribed pizotifen for a while but didn't get on with it you take it every night and i forgot a few times and it just made me so so so tired it didn't feel like i had slept when i woke up!
    So i just take painkillers when i need them. I tried the Maxalt and it worked good but is quite alot like you say!
    Can i ask what TMJ is??
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Temporomandibular joint disorder
    Classification and external resources

Temporomandibular joint
    ICD-10 K07.6
    ICD-9 524.60
    DiseasesDB 12934
    MedlinePlus 001227
    eMedicine neuro/366 radio/679 emerg/569
    MeSH C05.500.607.221.897.897

Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD or TMD), or TMJ syndrome, is an umbrella term covering acute or chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joint, which connects the mandible to the skull. The disorder and resultant dysfunction can result in significant pain and impairment. Because the disorder transcends the boundaries between several health-care disciplines — in particular, dentistry and neurology — there are a variety of treatment approaches.

The temporomandibular joint is susceptible to many of the conditions that affect other joints in the body, including ankylosis, arthritis, trauma, dislocations, developmental anomalies, and neoplasia.

An older name for the condition is "Costen syndrome", named for the man who partially characterized it in 1934.[1][2][3]

Signs and symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder vary in their presentation and can be very complex, but are often simple. On average the symptoms will involve more than one of the numerous TMJ components: muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, bones, connective tissue, and the teeth.[4] Ear pain associated with the swelling of proximal tissue is a symptom of temporomandibular joint disorder.

Symptoms associated with TMJ disorders may be:

Biting or chewing difficulty or discomfort
    Clicking, popping, or grating sound when opening or closing the mouth
    Dull, aching pain in the face
    Earache (particularly in the morning)
    Headache (particularly in the morning)
    Hearing loss
    Migraine (particularly in the morning)
    Jaw pain or tenderness of the jaw
    Reduced ability to open or close the mouth
    Tinnitus
    Neck and shoulder pain

this is from wikipedia...
  • Hollyhocks89
    Options
    Thank you thats brilliant
    I'm not lazy i just didn't think to google it haha!
  • katiewcurlz
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP and set my calorie goal at 1400 per day. I was out of town for Christmas and essentially had no internet to log my calories, so of course - I felt like I could splurge since no one was "looking." Bad mistake. I came home and got right back on track, and woke up yesterday with what I *think* was my first migraine. I woke up in the morning with a slight headache, but not enough to keep me from going about my day. Around 10am, it was all I could do to keep from emptying my stomach (I had REALLY bad nausea), and not constantly holding my head up at my desk. So I came home and slept for 20 hours straight - all I wanted was a dark, cool, quiet place to sleep it off.

So here's my question - what and how much can I eat today? I consumed only about 700 calories yesterday (again, due to nausea) and I'm starving! I'm planning a good workout later this afternoon, and don't to overdo the eating, but I'm paranoid I'm going to end up with another migraine.

Any suggestions?
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also get headaches, sometimes really severe headaches, sometimes just nagging ones. I had severe migraines a long time ago. I tried topomax too....I was hoping for the weight loss side effect, but instead got super severe anxiety all the time, to the point I was nauseous all the time. I have tried massgae therapy, hot and cold packs, all kinds of drugs, just had an MRI and am seeing a neurologist. The 5 weeks of topomax did get rid of the headaches and they havent returned yet....I found progressive muscle relaxation can help.

I am also noticing if I have a sugar binge, it can trigger a headache immediately. A big ole piece of cake will give me a headache! I am hoping eating better and working out regularly, and losing some weight will keep the headaches away. I also have a high dose naproxen and a anti-nausea from my neurologist that have gotten rid of the few headaches I have had since going off topomax.