Christmas weight gain!

Options
Has anybody gained weight during the Christmas holidays??
What are your plans to get the weight off?

I have gained 2-3kg and I would love some tips on getting back into the swing of healthy eating again

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I put on 2lb, it'll go again in a couple of weeks when I get back to normal!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I gained a few pounds but as I won't be eating like I have been this past 2 weeks, I'm not worried. I've lost 1.8lb this past week. I just upped my water intake and started running again (exercise has been sporadic for a couple weeks). Also, now the chocs are all gone it helps. You've got a whole new year to work off that gain.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as I was two weeks ago. But I'm up 12 pounds from a year ago, so I need to get back there!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    3lb. That was only from Christmas day and boxing day.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I gained 9 pounds. Whatever! A lot of it is probably just water weight, and if not, if it`s all fat well I will take it off again via resuming my diet and exercice and that`s it :-) Not freaking out about it, not being depress. I totally understand why I gained that much (ate A FREAKING LOT!! ++ salt, ++ carbs also). Do I win the contest?? ::ohwell:
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I went up 2 lbs as well. I retain water easily when having too much salt and carbs, so I'm fairly confident it's mostly water. I allowed myself some treats but tried to cut back in other areas to make up for it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ...and I would love some tips on getting back into the swing of healthy eating again

Just get back into the swing of eating at a reasonable deficit. Start by doing it today...then wake up the next day and do it again. Repeat until goal.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yep, I gained a few. My main plan is to shrug it off and not get emotional about it. I am simply going to get back to logging everything and get some exercise going on. I expect it to all come back off relatively easy with little wailing and gnashing of teeth.
  • Georgianbaygirl67
    Georgianbaygirl67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm up, but hey, it's a lifestyle change for me, not a diet. I enjoyed it all, now it's time to get back on track!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I didn't log and ate a lot of treats for most of the month (still am but I'm logging again) scale says I'm up like 12 pounds.
    I plan on simply resuming regularly scheduled programming once the holiday nonsense settles down. No biggie.
  • SootySwift
    Options
    I gained just over 3lbs. Had about four or five days of festive eating but back to it today and totally relieved!
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you've been on a restricted calorie plan before Christmas for quite a while, it is highly likely that most of the weight gain you are seeing is just glycogen replenishment, your muscles have been deprived of glycogen because of the constant dieting, your body filled its reservoirs again for you to burn through over the coming weeks.

Salty food retains water, anything above 2500mg of Sodium a day is too much really, and considering that a rich helping of gravy alone can have half of that I reckon water retention is to blame for plenty of those gains.

It takes the body a while to get back into pure fat storage mode if you are eating in caloric excess daily for a while, and you can't tell immediately, it takes a good 7-10 days before fat is stored, hence increased weight.

TLDR: Don't panic, its highly unlikely to be fat, just get back to your old "good" habits as soon as you can (after NY for me) and you'll find yourself whipped back into great shape in no time!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I gained 9 pounds. Whatever!
    Same here. I know it's not "fat", but it's still making me feel a bit :grumble: getting back on track tomorrow.
    Now, I just can't wait for New Years to be over.
  • akdollie
    akdollie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I didn't log and ate what I wanted for about the last week. Only up .4. Yep not even half a pound so must just be getting used to proper portion sizes. Haven't been getting my workouts in either but back to logging and such today so will see how it goes.
  • Andy_Chow
    Options
    I went to see my family the 25th at 195 lbs. I came back the 27th and logged in at 205 lbs. I knew that wasn't true, but today I see I'm 200, so it's a solid 5 lbs gain overall between the 25th and the 28th.

I knew it going in, it's not going to affect me going forward. Today I had a great day eating wise, and the next two days also because I plan on being in party mode for the new year's eve, eating and drinking again.

It doesn't matter. As long as on average I'm on track, I'm happy.