Long grain brown rice

Options
Nikki31104
Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
So I got a bag of long grain brown rice from a friend and I am not sure what to do with it. I like white rice but I have never tried brown rice. If anyone has any amazing recipes I can try I would love it.

Thanks. :wink:

Replies

• Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I usually do "naked burritos" with mine..something like

1 cup brown rice
    5 oz diced chicken
    1/2 cup black beans
    1/4 cup salsa
    spices

something like that
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Nikki, I use the recipe on this website:
    http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/08/how-to-make-perfect-brown-rice/
    I then portion in out in 1/2 cup servings, and freeze it. I find the freezing really helps break down the chewy, grassy texture.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My daughter always requests my chicken, brown rice and mushroom dish. It's yummy and super easy.

1 cup brown rice
    2 2/3 cups low sodium chicken broth
    white mushrooms chopped (I just cut them in half)
    chicken breast (I use three)
    garlic/onion powder and pepper to taste - any other spices you prefer

Add ingredients to a casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray, cover, and cook at 350 for about an hour and 45 minutes, or until liquid is gone and rice is done. Eat. Enjoy.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My husband cooks his in a little salton rice cooker. 2 cup rice 3 cup water. Brown rice is real food, white rice is processed. Processed food has a simpler flavor profile. Real food has a much more complex flavor profile. It may take a few months to develop your palate. Once you do you will find the favors of processed food boring.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    use it in the same way you would white?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My husband cooks his in a little salton rice cooker. 2 cup rice 3 cup water. Brown rice is real food, white rice is processed. Processed food has a simpler flavor profile. Real food has a much more complex flavor profile. It may take a few months to develop your palate. Once you do you will find the favors of processed food boring.

I like both white and brown rice. when we eat rice, we eat white because we get too much fibre from other foods. brown isn't necessarily healthier, it can cause digestive issues in many people.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    These all sound pretty good actually. I am going to try them all and go from there. If I can get my kids to eat it then I will be making progress.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    white and brown rice are interchangeable. the only difference is the cooking time and water ratio, i can never get my brown rice to be nice and fluffy.
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rebeccamosley86
    Rebeccamosley86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump