Need some new snacks...

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
I know that this topic has been pounded to death already...but I need some more snack ideas.

I prefer something about 150-200 calories, and I also prefer my snacks to be low carb since I get my carbs mainly from my meals.

Normally I have a protein shake, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, etc...

I don't want fresh nuts. It's nowhere near enough food to satsify me. :happy:

I do not like celery, raisins, or the idea of having just a couple of crackers. I'm not a big fan of rice cakes, but they are OK I guess. I'd like to find some hummus that is lower in fat, but haven't yet. Yogurt has way too much sugar, even if it is no sugar added. I prefer to not "cook" my snacks, and just having a piece of fruit does not interest me. Sticks of cheese taste good, but I have to eat a ton of it to satisfy me, just like the nuts.

So, given all that, what do you suggest? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BlutAura
    Options
    Beef Jerky, my fave snack. Loooads of protein and keeps me fuller for longer after my lunch.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Here is a lovely low calorie hummus , its from my daughters blog site , so i have tried it and its lovely!

Aubergine Hummus

This is an awesome combination of Baba Ganoush and Regular Hummus. It is fantastic as a dip, or spread on some brown bread or a wholemeal pitta with spinach and sundried tomatoes.

Aubergine Hummus
    Serves: 8

1 aubergine
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2g cumin
    200g chickpeas, dried
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken/veggie stock cube

Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
    Then cook them in the same water with the stock cube added in for 20 mins.
    Roast the aubergine until the skin is blackened. When it is cooled you can just peel off the skin and the flesh will be mostly mashable.
    Mash the aubergine with the crushed garlic, salt, cumin, lemon juice and olive oil.
    Drain the chick peas but reserve the water.
    Add the chickpeas to the aubergine mixture with a little of the reserved water and blitz with a hand blender. Add a little more water if it is too thick, but not too much.

It makes 8 large (100g) portions, but you could stretch it out further.

123 calories per serving, 3.4g F, 0.4g SF, 19.1 C, 4.1g S, 6.4g Fb, 5.6g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/2010/05/aubergine-hummus.html
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I get Graze boxes sent to me every week and the snacks in there are 100 to 200 calories. I have a code for a free box somewhere if anyone in the UK wants it - www.graze.com

Cheers,
    Clare
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow light cheese wedges -- 35 calories each. Various flavors and the Original Swiss is my favorite.

Skinny Cow low fat, no sugar added ice cream sandwiches. Really anything from the Skinny Cow line is okay -- fudge bars, cones, etc.

Frozen grapes -- yummy!

Hard, sour dough pretzels -- no fat/ no sugar. Fair on sodium.

Low fat popped corn.

Not sure if all of these are available in the UK, but these are some of my choices.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    bump for later
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    IF you cook several hard boiled eggs at one time (say over the weekend) they make a good protein snack and are easy to eat. Lettuce wraps are an easy way to use up some leftovers and take little prep. You deleted a lot of options so have created a rather limited slate of opportunities.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    IF you cook several hard boiled eggs at one time (say over the weekend) they make a good protein snack and are easy to eat. Lettuce wraps are an easy way to use up some leftovers and take little prep. You deleted a lot of options so have created a rather limited slate of opportunities.

I purposely deleted a lot of options. If it tastes bad (to me) I won't eat it...and therefore does no good for anyone to suggest it to me. I was hoping for something new and different, especially concidering that my snacks are typically larger than most people on this website since I am not bound to that low 1200 calorie thing due to my intense and often exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I might look into the Laughing Cow cheese wedges, but being so very low calorie, I might need to have something with it. Perhaps a toasted English muffin? That might be doable.

I've never thought of beef jerky, but might have to try it.

I love popcorn, and hopefully I can can pass up the butter with it. :wink:

Thanks for the ideas!
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    homemade or low sodium soups! you can eat a lot of it usually and it doesn't rack up the cals too much :) even with a small slice of toast sprinkled with a lil cheese.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I get Graze boxes sent to me every week and the snacks in there are 100 to 200 calories. I have a code for a free box somewhere if anyone in the UK wants it - www.graze.com

Cheers,
    Clare

This looks amazing! Does anyone know if there's something like this in the States?
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    Try kettle korn - much better and is sweet and was rather decent on nutrional information. (discovered this last night)

I used to not like rice cakes either but i tried the Fit & ACtive mini caramel cakes (from ALDI) and OMG I love them!
  • danniv71
    Options
    Luna bars? They're easy to keep around, taste pretty good and have all kinds of good things - fiber, protein.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try some sludge! Looks delish, but I haven't tried it yet. Just portion it to match your desired calories.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KREjvUTzM&feature=player_embedded
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! I put an ounce of kernals in a brown paper lunch bag roll up a couple times place in microwave and pop for 2 - 2.5 minutes on high.
    Just listen when the popping gets real slow stop the microwave or else some of the popcorn will get burned. I happen to like the burned peices, but you might not.
    One ounce makes 6c. 190 calories you can melt a 2 tsp. of real butter 72 calories for a snack high in fibar and whole grain and very satisfing a lot of had to mouth action.
    I use this for my night time snack. Total calories 260 and you get real butter not the junk they use in packaged popcorn.
  • specialk1177
    specialk1177 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love turkey pepperoni...I eat it with Wheat Thins toasted great plains multigrain thins but those might have too many carbs for you or I also eat them with cheese. There are 15 pepperoni in a serving & they have lots of protein (8g) & are low in calories (80) & have no sugar. I eat the Kroger brand & I like them because there's no cooking involved, I just grab the pouch from the fridge & eat them :)
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of good ideas here. :)
  • CrimsonScotty
    CrimsonScotty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    someone already mentioned Luna bars, but i love the Zone Perfect snack bars, most of them taste great, and don't have quite as much sugar as a lot of snack bars, but still has a good amount of protein, oh, they're also not as expensive as some either! Good Luck!
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sliced strawberries with whipped cream. You can have 2 cups of them and a little whip cream which is also quite low in calories and stay within the calories you want.
    It may have sugar but it's not process and it does fill me up, satisfies my sweetooth and holds me over for a while.
  • droverb
    Options
    couple items to think on:

- 1/2 of egg whites and a couple strips of turkey bacon before bed,
    - casine protein powder mixed with water
    - boil eggs and scoop out the yolks, replace it with a spoon ful of tuna and some hot sauce... voila tuna bombs carb free
    - cottage cheese mixed with low fat yogurt.
    - or my fav protein jello.... make a pack sugar free jello as you normally would and add 2 scoops of whey vanilla protein powder and mix well.... pour into 2 containers and there u have it a snack that makes u feel like ur eating something but it has 0 carbs and aprox 25-30 g of protein (replace whey with casine for a longer digestion time before bed if u feel like it.... i dont bother)

hope this helps
    if anyone needs tips/advice add me as a buddy or just PM and ill be sure to reply

****no such thing as a diet its pretty much a life style change*******
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My two snacks today were:

Boiled egg and slice of 45 cal wheat toast

Balogna and cheese one one slice of 45 cal wheat bread