Need Help with chinese food!

Options
What is a healthy choice at a chinese Restuarant???

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Steamed Chicken & Veggies
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Steamed anything, really. Chicken and broccoli, too.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stay away from white steamed rice (and all fried rice) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stay away from white steamed rice (and all fried rice) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Unless you just want some rice, then have the steamed white rice (or brown if its offered, i don't think its a big deal.)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Ordering stuff with out the sauce, steamed (which was already mentioned). Ask if they have brown rice. Avoid potstickers, chow mein, etc... Hot and Sour Soup is pretty low cal, I think.
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    Just make sure that you get things steamed, otherwise it will be full of loaded sodium. Let alone anything else they add in it. (Hopefully there is no MSG in any of it.)
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    obiously, nothing fried. and order everything with the sauce on the side so you can control the amount. Go easy on the noodles and rice (or order brown rice if they have it). Here's a low-cal recipe for "Chinese Chicken" my whole family loved it!

Chinese Chicken

Ingredients
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 cup thinly sliced carrot
    3-5 grains black pepper
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 small green pepper, sliced
    1 (16 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
    1 (4 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons water

Directions
    1. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
    2. Brown chicken in oil in a large skillet, about 5-10 minutes.
    3. Remove chicken and reduce heat.
    4. Add onion and cook until tender.
    5. Return chicken to skillet and add chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger, carrots and black pepper.
    6. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
    7. Uncover and add celery and green pepper.
    8. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
    9. Add bean sprouts and water chestnuts and cook 5 minutes more.
    10. Mix corn starch and water together.
    11. Stir into chicken mixture until thickened.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 (325g)
    Recipe makes 6 servings
    The following items or measurements are not included below:
    3 black pepper

Calories 187
    Calories from Fat 35 (18%)
    Amount Per Serving %DV
    Total Fat 4.0g 6%
    Saturated Fat 0.7g 3%
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1.6g
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 45mg 15%
    Sodium 667mg 27%
    Potassium 540mg 15%
    Total Carbohydrate 15.1g 5%
    Dietary Fiber 3.0g 11%
    Sugars 5.8g
    Protein 23.4g 46%
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Chinese Chicken

Ingredients
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 cup thinly sliced carrot
    3-5 grains black pepper
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 small green pepper, sliced
    1 (16 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
    1 (4 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons water

Sounds really good! To make it even healthier, I would suggest using low-sodium versions of anything you can (broth, soy sauce, etc).
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    i go with Shrimp and Lobster Sauce with Brown Rice...
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nim Chow...yum. But it's more thai, however my local chinese restaurant does have it.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Mai Tai. I noticed that after I've had three or four of them the concern over calories diminishes.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Mai Tai. I noticed that after I've had three or four of them the concern over calories diminishes.

You are so incredibly helpful :drinker:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options

You are so incredibly helpful :drinker:

That's just how the Road Dog rolls.
  • crissi66
    Options
    The steamed rice isnt horrible as long as you only have one serving of it, which i believe is only 200 calories. I LOVE steamed chicken and broccoli with garlic sauce on the side.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    My waitress :love: knows us and says I am Mrs No Taste! But she also knows I watch fat and sodium, so she will not let me order brown sauce on anything because Soy Sauce is so very high in sodium. She tells the chef to make a wine sauce low fat, no sodium, but season with ginger and garlic. I usually ask for 5-spice seasoning as well, which is delicious. No Sweet and Sour anything, no crispy (deep fried), but sauteed with very little oil (they use peanut oil in Chinese restaurants) is OK. I eat only whole grains anyway, so I order brown rice, eat about 1/4 cup, and take home the rest for my husband who loves rice pudding! Throw it in sugar free vanilla pudding! Beef usually requires lots of salt, so we stick mostly to chicken or shrimp with snow peas, asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms and nuts! Also the usual Chinese vegetables added, but leave out the noodles. Ask for whatever fresh vegetables they have in the kitchen: green beans, celery, carrots come to mind. And I love the hot and sour soup, and since the serving is small, I eat it! DO REQUEST LOW FAT, LOW SODIUM (low taste) but ginger/garlic help! Enjoy! :tongue:
    PS, When my kids were growing up (about 50 years ago!) Chinese food was almost all I ever cooked for all of us. Even my poodles loved it! Now that I am not as active as I used to be, and married to my handsome diabetic husband, it has become a huge treat perhaps once a month! :ohwell:
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I lived in China for quite a while and those people are SKINNY!!!! What was interesting is they ate lots of vegetables and meat and vegetable dishes and then rice or noodles was only ever were served at the end of the meal in a tiny 1/2 cup portion. Also it was kinda disrespectful to eat the rice, cause it meant you didn't fill up on the good stuff. After every meal, only fruits mainly watermelon was served. Also the sticky sweet dishes like sweet and sour pork: were not on any menu!!!
    So my suggestion, eat lots of the vegetable dishes and meat and fill up on that. Prawns are lo cal. they also do not use much oil to cook. Cups and cups of veg are low cal
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    You speak the truth! My memory has been jogged by you that meats are amost used as a condiment in China! Veggies are definitely the answer! And thank you, Hotbottom, for the reminder!