Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hello everyone

My name is Kevin, I am extremely out of shape and about 60 lbs or so overweight. I'm 5 '7 ". 215 lbs
I recently found out I am a type 2 diabetic and I am having to take pills for it and my doctor has told me
If I can lose weight and get in shape it might get to where I don't have to take anything for it anymore.

I am thinking about trying focus t25 workout program. I've never used a workout program before. And I am really
Out of shape.

I haven't worked out in a very long time, its a little scary but if it keeps
Me from having to take insulin shots I'm willing to try. Scratch that I'm not gonna try
I'm gonna succeed.

Replies

• AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Hey! Welcome to MFP! I'm sure you'll get loads of support on here. Feel free to add me!
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Go get 'em.

I'm 5'7" and started at 207 (April 28, 2013). Now 151.

If I can do it you can.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Hi Kevin, welcome! You *can* lower your blood sugar. I haven't even lost that much weight yet, but since keeping track of my food and going to the gym 2-3 times a week (you could even just start walking) I lowered my blood sugar from borderline diabetic to low normal in three months. I'm not a blood sugar expert, but if you're looking for friends you can add me. I'm here every day.

Cynthia
  • Well tonight I got my lowest blood sugar reading... 155. Normally its between 250 and 300 especially after dinner.
    I'm hungry though because I didn't eat much because what my wife made wasn't very healthy imo
  • NickGoesHAM
    NickGoesHAM Posts: 7 Member
    Hey Kevin, I'm in a similar situation as you.

Good Luck.
  • CynthiaT60
    Well tonight I got my lowest blood sugar reading... 155. Normally its between 250 and 300 especially after dinner.
    I'm hungry though because I didn't eat much because what my wife made wasn't very healthy imo
    Hi Kevin, make sure you eat enough, even if you have to make it yourself. :wink:
  • [/quote]
    Hi Kevin, make sure you eat enough, even if you have to make it yourself. :wink:
    [/quote]

I ate enough I'm just used to eating till I'm stuffed. That's gonna be hard for me.
  • CynthiaT60
    [/quote]

I ate enough I'm just used to eating till I'm stuffed. That's gonna be hard for me.
    [/quote]
    I know what you mean! :embarassed:
  • OK so I didn't do as good of a job today. A little discouraging. I am finding it hard to find low carb healthy snacks. And I ate way too much dinner tonight spent 14 hours smoking 25 lbs of boston butts. but it was so good. Ended up with my blood sugar back in the 300 range. Grrrrrrr.
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Hi, Kevin! You have a great attitude, and you will succeed. You have a good motivator--getting off of meds, and you are in a great place with a lot of knowledgeable, encouraging people who will help. I have been on here for a little over 6 months, and I have lost 60 pounds. I have quite a ways to go, but I am a lot closer than I was this time last year. In 6 months, you can not believe how much can change, in the way you feel, the way you look, and just your attitude about things. I just want you to know, this is going to be one of the best things you will do for yourself, and as long as you stay positive and take it one day and one choice at a time, you will get there. When I started, I had high cholesterol and was on meds for that, high blood pressure and taking meds to prevent me from developing diabetes. So far, I am off of the cholesterol meds and hope to shed the other two in time.

The main thing is to remember that there are people who are willing to cheer you on, and will talk you through stuff when it gets hard or when you have questions. All you have to do, is just reach out and let people know what you need. This is one of the best things I have ever done for myself, and my only regret is that I waited so long to start.

I wish you the best and hope that you will reach the goals you have set. If you want to add me as a friend, feel free. Congrats on putting things in motion to reach your goals and become healthier.

BTW, we all have our moments when we do not make the choices we should. If you do not wind up where you want to be at the end of the day, then just break it down and see what you could have done differently to make a healthier choice and learn from those moments. For me, if I need to drop my blood sugar, I exercise. The more activity you can fit in to burn those excess carbs, the better. Just find something you love doing and do it. My dad is a diabetic and he walks when his gets high.

Your issues with blood sugar did not sprout up in one day, and it will take time to learn what to eat, how much to eat, and how it affects your sugar. Just take note of what you are doing that works and what doesn't and use everything as a lesson learned. As long as you are learning, something good came from the day. Just chalk this day up to a lesson learned and maybe try to preplan your day. I did that when I started and it really kept me on track and kept me from making as many poor choices. I also would not eat something until I knew the calorie count (you may want to look at carb count too.). Just hang in there and it will get better.
  • Thank you jenjen. I definitely see what I should have done differently. I'm fixing to fit in a little more exercising this evening to try to drop my blood sugar some.
  • blackmax78
    blackmax78 Posts: 28 Member
    I find watching sugars and carbs to be a good way to avoid getting spikes in sugar... 3 months with no insulin after starting to log foods... natural raw almonds are good for snacks... just eat a small handful (about 1/4c) or a celery bunch (about 8 8 inch stalks) both very low in carbs but take care of my crunchy craving

... do try to stay away from all high glycemic index foods (google it!)
  • Welcome aboard brother, hope you get what you're looking for.
  • Well my blood sugar has been staying below 200 the past two days. Mostly around 150. Yea me. Pushed myself a little too hard though. You don't realize how bad you are out of shape until you start working out. The tops of my legs are so sore I can barely walk or bend over. Thinking I may lay off for a day