Sleep apnea and thyroid issue. How do I lose weight!!??

Options
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 4 years ago. I was on the cpap but he quit working on me quite some time ago. I know that if I lose some weight that will help my sleep apnea to go away but I also have a slight thyroid issue and need to have my tonsils and adenoids removed. I do not remember if my thyroid was partially over active or partially under active but I have not been able to have an of these issues taken care of because I do not have health insurance. I do not qualify for government health insurance and definitely cannot afford a monthly health care bill at this time. I'm wondering if any of you have any issues and if you could give me any tips on losing weight? What are the best things for me to do? (Or not do) .

Replies

• Violettaff
    Options
    Sounds like the thyroid maybe underactive - causes slower metabolism and general slow down of all body functions. Get this looked at and other stuff may ease off. A good site is Stop the Thyroid Madness and also Thyroid Patient Advocacy can help with advice and support.

You would be surprised the number of people with undiagnosed and/or untreated hypothyroidism have also suffered with sleep apnea amongst other symptoms.

I had subclinical hypothyroidism with poor cell receptor of the active T3 (T4 was not converting properly) weight gain, hair thinning, low moods, feeling cold and low body temp, at one point I was waking up with an almighty snort which led to me being sent for a test for sleep apnoea which was apparently negative and was just told to lose weight. I now self treat on T3 after much research and support fro above sites and lost most of the weight - although still have a way to go - most symptoms gone and sometimes have to pace myself - my message is take control of your health and body, life is too short!

and finally don't go too low calorie as the metabolism will slow down even more - be sensible and eat 10 times your body weight in lbs a day - so for example, someone of 160 needs to eat 1,600 cals a day and if you can do some exercise like walking every day and try to do 10,000 steps this will help you. Good supplements you can get online are selenium(excellent for thyroid), Vit B complex and also there are other's recommended on the above sites.
    Good luck.
  • giagbreak
    giagbreak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depending on how severe your sleep apnea is, you may want to get a working CPAP first. Without it, you'll be too tired to exercise. At my worst, right before I got my CPAP, every day was like a fog and I couldn't even concentrate or stay awake long enough to understand what I was eating or do any kind of physical activity.

Also, depending on how much weight you need to lose, it may be quite a while until the sleep apnea goes away. If it ever does. I've lost around 90 pounds since I've gotten my CPAP and I still need it.
  • pineappley
    Options
    I am a big believer on tough love, so please do not take the following post as mean or rude. I promise I have good intentions!

You lose weight the same way everyone else does. Having a thyroid issue should not stop you from going to the gym and eating a balanced diet. Yes, hypothyroidism can manifest as being tired and overweight, but if you are on the proper medication that is no excuse. Yes--being sleep deprived from those apneic episodes may make you tired and sleepy, but keep working on getting that CPAP machine. You may be in a fog everyday, but you need to get through the fog and exercise! I know how tempting it is to get your tonsils and adenoids removed, but if you turn on the news you will see how horribly a simple surgery can go wrong. Besides, that is not fixing the problem.

The problem is simple--you are overweight.

You have to start watching your diet and exercising. Don't wait until the new year, don't wait until the next paycheck, don't wait. Start now. If drastic diet changes are difficult for you, then start by cutting out soda, while drinking more water. Each week change a part of your diet until you are eating appropriate sized, well-balanced portions. Start exercising, whether it is a brisk walk during your lunch break, jog on the treadmill, or dancing around in your underwear. Cardio isn't everything--lifting weights or body weight fitness will help you too. If you're not sure how to start, or feel a little lost, google "Muscle and Fitness workouts for women" and click the third link. Go through the workouts and pick one you like. That's where I started and it has certainly helped me. If you are short on time (who isn't?), you can try high intensity interval training. Thirty minutes of HIIT Kettlebell did just as much for me as running + lifting.

I could sit here all day and tell you what I do, but it may not work for you. You will have to do research on different workouts, pick one and see if you can fit it into your life. You may do everything right and still notice your weight increase. Be patient. If you are working hard, you'll reach your goal.