New Girl in Weights Section of Gym

Options
I didn't know wtf I was doing beyond reading Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Had no clue which were the squats bars, press bars, etc. and looked like a total dufus lifting tiny weights, BUT I did it! I even asked the guys for help and they were nice to me... and helpful! However, none of them knew what Starting Strength was. Lol!

So, with legs and glutes feeling challenged, I'm 1 workout down and fitness trainer scheduled. Go me!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Good for you. :smile:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Wahoo, way to go girl!!! :drinker:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :happy:
  • yvonnecarroll1988
    Options
    Good for you, you will get the hang of things.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Don't be afraid to try stuff out and experiment. Everybody does it, and nobody will look twice unless you're doing something dangerous.
    Guys are generally very friendly and helpful in my experience. I often ask for help spotting or checking my technique (especially in deadlifting). You can learn a lot through just spending time there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hell yea…

now repeat, eat in deficit, and keep increasing the weight...
  • famoushamish
    Options
    Good for you! the weights section can be intimidating with the guys in there, but is nothing to be afraid of. Good that you are getting into strength training. It will make a big difference to your definition.
    Watch what other people are doing, and if you need help don't be afraid to ask someone if they look like they might be OK to help. If your gym has trainers/staff walking around, ask them TONS of questions. I am constantly stopping the staff at my gym and asking then for advice/help on my technique when I am not completely sure about something.

Take advice from fellow lifters/exercisers with a grain of salt. Most people will be moderately knowledgable, some people will know a lot of good stuff. But there also tends to be a lot of 'bro science' among lifters. If someone suggests something, take it on board, do your own checking online, and if a staff member is around, check with them. I have had a few times where someone has given me some advice on an exercise/technique and I have found out later that they have been wrong or given me bad advice that could hurt me.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks, everyone! I went again Saturday and am looking forward to going again tomorrow... even though my legs are killing me. Ha! I hope I've found my niche here :-)