Non-Runner looking to be a runner

Options
I am just curious if there is anyone out there that HATED running, but now runs frequently? I was in the Army. In basic training we started out on 1 mile runs and by the end of A.I.T. we were doing over 6 mile runs. Span of time was about 10weeks. At first 1 mile killed me as I HATE, HATE, HATE running. However, I was able to run 6+ miles without stopping. I still hated running!! I got out of the Army and swore off running the rest of my life. Well, I took up walking in July. That led to brief running. Now--i desperately want to be a runner. Im still fat (185) so I love doing cardio to burn calories. I know people follow the C25K program. I looked into it, and I need more cardio than that. So, I'm kind of following the program but extending it so I get a full 60min workout. I still don't necessarily like running, but I do like how I feel about myself after. Has anyone went from HATING running with a passion to loving it? And not just "saying" they love it, but actually loving it?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No. Never hated it but got into competitive running to lose weight. By competitive, I just mean signing up for the local races. Where I am, they attract from anything from 500-2000 people and I just love the event and so it gives me motivation to train and then see if I can beat my PBs.

If you are like me, check your local races and if there is a Parkrun near you. It's a free race held in loads of towns and cities across the world. I find them great too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am just curious if there is anyone out there that HATED running, but now runs frequently?
    Me! :bigsmile:

Always hated it. In high school I switched from basketball to volleyball because there was less running. I did every form of exercise for a couple of years, but not running.

Then something clicked in my brain about two years ago, and I decided I wanted to give it a shot. I downloaded the c25k FREE app by Zen Labs and went for it. Two years later, I'm still running three days a week and I love it.

If you're doing other workouts, I wouldn't worry about trying to do more and make it 60 minutes a day, unless you want to do something other than run at first. The program works great, working you up slowly which helps avoid injury. Walk more, do a little kickboxing or whatever, but get through the program and add time/distance after you've completed it, and continue to build up slowly.

Signing up for a local 5k that's happening after the 9 weeks of c25k is a great motivator. And racing is a blast.

Good luck!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was a running hater all my life. In school, the collective (parents, teachers, docs) wouldn't let me run the mile because of my severe asthma and allergies. But I forced myself into athleticism as an adult (hiking, boxing, lifting, etc) but I could not understand why anyone would want to run. Even a little. Even if they were being chased. Straight cardio alluded me entirely. But 2 of my closest friends were runners.

Anyway, I had a baby (single mom) and the first year I couldn't figure out excercise. My 2 runner friends were on me to start running, because I could get a jogging stroller, do it with my daughter and not have to worry about child care. So I started c25k. I hated it, I kept getting sick (strep 3 times in 6 weeks because I was run down due to adding excercise back into my life) and I never made it through the program because of it. But, something changed in my head, I wanted to conquer running even though I hated it. I made 2 more attempts before I threw c25k out the window (the next year) and just decided to see how long I could go without stopping... 20 mins. So I started adding 5 mins to my run time once a week. Once I was running 5k (39 mins) I switched to a program to run a faster 5k and got down to 29:52 in 6 weeks for an official race pushing my daughter. That's when I realized I didn't hate it anymore, I actually loved it.

Now (a year and a half after my succesful attempt) I am training for my 5th half marathon. My weekly long runs are in the 10-15 mile range and I log 25-30 miles a week for maintenance. I run 6 days a week most weeks. And my asthma is better than ever.

Seriously, stick with it. And see if the approach of running for a set ammount of time and adding minutes each week works better for you.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That is me-- to a tee. I have always hated running, always. I have had friends who have told me that eventually you will love to run but I seriously thought that they were lying or crazy.

I started running races for good causes over the last two years and I would hate it the whole time until the end when I would feel a sense of accomplishment.

7 weeks ago a friend asked me to run a half marathon with her-- i told her she was crazy and then I started thinking about it. I have lost a lot of weight and thought it would be a really cool goal to work towards.

I downloaded a program through map my run-- called map my run trainer. Again, i didn't like running, but as the weeks went on, I hated it less-- the difference between now and every time I have tried to run was really focusing on my pace, finding good music, intervals with walking and starting at a small goal and working my way up.

I started on the treadmill and have worked my way to running outside--- in the rain, snow, cold and I can say that I am truly starting to enjoy it. I hate the first mile- two miles but after that (at the right pace) it is really euphoric. I didn't think i would ever feel that, but it has changed for me.

Plus it burns a lot of calories!!

good luck and keep us updated on your progress!!

*and on a side note-- when I first started the program and it would have me run for 20-30 min, I would do the rest of the hour on the elliptical because I like getting an hour in.
  • famoushamish
    Options
    I always hated running - so freaking boring. But I recently started running regularly and now enjoy it. A couple of things that made the difference for me:
    - I was always running on the treadmill in the gym and was bored. Now I run around my neighbourhood. Outdoor running is harder but much more interesting - some scenery variation to help make things a bit more interesting.

- I listen to relatively high tempo music when I run - helps distract me from the time, and keeps me pumped/gives me motivation to keep going.

- I moved to Florida from Boston.... :) Mornings in Florida in the winter are MUCH more conducive to running than in most other parts of the country.....

It also helps to set yourself some targets - time/distance each day/week and work to hit those.

I started barely able to run more than 1/4 of a mile at a time - I would jog/walk 1 mile for a while, and took ages to get to a point where I could steadily run just 2 miles. Now I am about to bump my regular runs up to 5 miles, 3-4 times a week. When I do my first 5 mile run next week and am able to actually run steadily that whole distance, that will be a great feeling.
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I always hated running till 4 mos ago. I swore I never was going to run unless I was being chased my something. Started running because my now ex bf was into running so wanted to give it a try. Started with the couch to 5k. My gym also had a 5k training program for free since I am a member there so did that as well.

I enjoy running more, however I won't say I love it. The 5k runs are fun and still can't quite run the whole 3 miles but getting close. Also trying to beat my last time.