Problems w/homemade mayo

Options
_rozamu
_rozamu Posts: 119 Member
I have made mayo several times w/o issue. The last 2 times though, it looks perfect but melts immediately after taking out a serving.

Here's the recipe I use:

1C light tasting olive oil
1 egg
1t dijon mustard
2T lemon juice
salt to taste

Then I use a stick blender to finish it up.

Preciously, I've done w/the ingredients at room temperature AND straight out of the fridge; both worked fine. Why would it do this now?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Don't know. I always thought mayo was just the egg yolk.

But if it has been working for you with the whole egg before...who knows?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Don't know. I always thought mayo was just the egg yolk.

But if it has been working for you with the whole egg before...who knows?

Huh, I didn't know that. I've always been using the whole egg too.

My recipe calls for the egg to be at room temp, that's always how I made it and have never had this problem. Although it may have worked in the past, it could still be the problem.
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    I also thought it was just the egg yolk. I have had similar issues making homemade mayo and i was able to make it set by putting it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds at a time and stirring after, continuing to put in the microwave and stirring until it set up perfectly.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    What is the actual procedure you use?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Your eggs could be old. Not bad, just old. They tend to be runnier.

Also, I let mine set at room temp, covered, for an hour or so. The acid (lemon juice or vinegar) doesn't work as well to kill bacteria at cold temps.
  • _rozamu
    Options
    Interesting on the yolk only . . .

I just put the egg, mustard, salt, & lemon juice in a wide mouth mason jar, then pour all the oil in, let everything settle and stick the stick blender in and give it a go until it looks like mayo.
  • _rozamu
    Options
    Good point on the eggs being older. I think the last couple times have been Costco eggs while the others were local and free range from the health food store.
  • piabob
    Options
    A major difference between your recipe and the classic is the amount of oil. Basically, you use 7 times the oil as you have in eggs.... so if you use one large egg (2 ounces)you need 14 ounces of oil.

Normally you begin beating the eggs first. When they become lemon colored, start drizzling in the oil...not too fast!

Although it's counter-intuitive lots of people use all egg whites, and 7 times the oil, though the fat savings of the eliminated yolk doesn't amount to much (in my opinion)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    I only use the yoiks. Mayonnaise can fail if air pressure is too high. You can't make mayonnaise during a thunder storm, for example.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    And you can rescue the failed mayonnaise by starting with a new egg yoik. Then slowly beat in the failed mayonnaise into the fresh yolk. The recipe I use calls for all ingredients to be at room temperature.
  • _rozamu
    Options
    Thanks everyone!