Oatmeal with Almond milk? Opinions of frozen desserts?

Options
I know oats are good for you..and almond milk can be too vs. regular cow's milk. However, I less I have a lot of butter, sugar, and honey,or it's packaged, oatmeal is blah to me. D: So, the other day I bought vanilla almond milk and decided to use that instead of water to cook my oats in the microwave. After I cooked the oats with the almond milk, I added 2 packets of Truvia. Does this sound like a semi-healthy option? I may start adding fresh fruits too as time goes on. Also, I know frozen dinners aren't the greatest things for you, I know Weight Watchers has frozen desserts...and I am a big sweet eater! I'm thinking one, once a week wouldn't be that bad? Opinions on these desserts (anyone like them, not like them, had success with them?)

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    my fave "oat" thing is a greek yogurt parfait with granola at nordstrom ebar. plain greek yogurt, dried fruit, honey. i add cinnamon and nutmeg from the coffee counter. it's yum. it's addictive actually if i'm being honest. I could eat that everyday. i have my eye on overnight oats though google them they look yum. my plan is to try them sans chia seeds first so the consistency is not confused by the seeds.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Oops! Double post.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Anything that you enjoy, that fits in your daily goals, is healthy for *you personally*.

Have you tried smaller portions of your regular oatmeal? Or maybe skip the honey, keep the butter, and throw in some fresh fruit for some extra fiber + nutrients with that sugar?

Edit: Added emphasis.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal with half water and half whole milk. I add cinnamon, allspice, maybe some nutmeg, a couple of drops of vanilla, and then some nuts and fruit. I made really yummy apple walnut oatmeal the other morning. I don't eat it often though because it isn't as filling and is high in calories. I'd rather have a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich and a chai latte.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The oatmeal with almond milk sounds really tasty and like a healthy option. As for the WW deserts, I haven't tried them. There is a Greek yogurt frozen yogurt bar out there that I really enjoy. If you look in my food log thing, you can see the brand. I can't think of it off the top of my head.
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal with almond milk for breakfast most days and I don't add anything. I don't find it bland at all and actually look forward to it! You just need to allow for your palette to adapt, won't take more than a few days and you'll find it sweet enough. You may even find the honey etc you used to add tastes way too sweet once your palette has adapted!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    When I think frozen dessert, I think ice cream(Edys, Ben & Jerry's). I like things that taste good, which is a matter of opinion, I suppose but perhaps you should stop looking at things as "good" or "bad". I believe in finding nutrient dense foods to help meet nutrient needs of your body but that doesn't mean restricting or labeling foods as one thing or the other. So, I say if it fits your calories and your nutrient needs are being met that's what matters.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I could never quite enjoy my oats made with water, and I don't use cows milk, so I have always used almond/coconut milk instead. At first it seemed bland so I would add a teaspoon of honey, but I slowly decreased the amount of honey and now I don't sweeten them at all.

As for frozen desserts, which I don't eat too often. I usually get frozen yogurt, or the frozen greek yogurt.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to stop looking at individual food items as healthy/unhealthy or good/bad and look at your overall diet. Look at your personal nutritional goals. For example, if you are trying to reduce sodium, processed packaged meals might make it harder for you to do that. If you're trying to hit a particular target for protein, it can be easier to do that by including higher protein in each meal, including breakfast. Otherwise, relax. Meet your calorie goal, try to get a varied, balanced diet, and the rest will fall into place over time.

And, regular cow's milk isn't "bad", unless you are intolerant to lactose, or have a moral/religious/ethical problem with it. In some ways it is more nutritious than almond milk.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and almond milk is what I have for breakfast most days--I usually add frozen blueberries and cinnamon, and brown sugar splenda. Have also done peanut butter, protein powder, sweetened coconut flakes, chocolate chips, pecans (with the cinnamon and brown sugar tastes like a cinnamon roll!). I love my oatmeal!

The WW frozen desserts are ok (some taste better than others--the cheesecake isn't half bad). I usually do fruit or a small "real" dessert if my sweet tooth is craving something.