Protein options?

Options
Hi all,
I'm a vegetarian (this includes fish) and as such, I sometimes struggle with fitting protein in properly.
I have fruit, but its high in sugar. Nuts seem to be high in sodium, even unsalted.
Anyone have any tips? Something "snacky" would be good. My parents always have chips or some other goodie in the evening, and I'm wanting to find something that I could have.

Replies

• roz250
    roz250 Posts: 23
    Options
    Tofu? Lentils/Beans? Mushrooms? PB2? Other nut butters? Cheese?

There are lots of options, you just have to think outside the typical protein box :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Legumes. Black Soybeans are a great choice. Tofu. Peanut butter. How about baked chick peas? Super yummy as a snack.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If by "this includes fish" you mean that you include fish in your diet, the term for your choices is 'pescitarian,' not vegetarian. Nuts, beans and rice, and dairy are all decent protein choices, and there are several varieties of vegetarian/pescitarian-friendly protein supplements available if you find that it's still difficult to meet your protein needs.

Unless you're diabetic, pre-diabetic, or hypoglycemic, sugar is just a carb; don't worry about things being 'high in sugar' unless they're also putting you over your carb goals (or have an underlying medical condition). In the absence of blood-pressure issues or other medically valid reasons to worry about your particular sodium levels, it's probable that you don't need to worry about the amount of sodium in nuts (particularly the unsalted variety).

If all of the above doesn't apply to you specifically because of medical issues, snow peas or roasted soybeans are options for snacks.
  • Andy_Chow
    Options
    Chick peas, kidney beans, peanut butter, avocado. Soybeans only if female (it's bad with testosterone).

You could also supplement with casein or whey powder. But those are derived from milk, so that might not fit with your philosophy.
  • sleerc
    Options
    Sorry... "this includes fish" was meant in the way of "I don't eat fish". Sometimes people give fish as a vegetarian option, so I meant that my vegetarianism included no fish.

I am jet-lagged at the moment and super tired. Sorry for the miscommunication. Thanks for the other tips, though!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Beans.

And air fresheners.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you are a lacto-ovo veg, then I would add hard boiled eggs, milk (reg., soy, almond, rice etc), and cheeses. PB on a banana is a great snack.
  • GreatGrace
    GreatGrace Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, Kashi Go Lean cereal...
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. I haven't tried it, but apparently nutritional yeast is a good seasoning and packs a lot of protein/vitamins.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Edamame.
  • BigAlNyc
    BigAlNyc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    if you take dry chickpeas (canned chickpeas have way too much salt) and soak them over night, then bake them at 350 on a cookie sheet until they are dry and golden. Great snack.
  • MemphisHellFire
    MemphisHellFire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    beans,lentils, peas, leafy green veg(kale, spinach) tempeh, nuts, seeds, seiten, tofu and there are plenty of veggie sausages, mince or meat replaces on the market :)
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Soybeans only if female (it's bad with testosterone).

It's not.
  • celcey
    celcey Posts: 32
    Options
    Pure protein shakes. They are portable, premixed, low (1-3 g) sugar and taste pretty good. 35g of protein per can.
    Www.pureprotein.net
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! I love the stuffs...