Newbie here! goal to lose 30lb in 4 months?

Options
Hello,
I'm here to try n lose 30lbs before I go traveling in May. My weight is always up and down but I really want to get fit and stay fit. I work in an office on shift patterns so my life has very little routine. I have recently invested in some home gym equipment and really want to change for the best. If I can lose 30lbs before May and go out in a bikini I'll be happy but if I can keep the weight off until my 30th in September I'll be very proud of myself.
I joined MFP after reading success stories and seeing people motivating each other to get fit. I need to make these life changes before things get worse and would like to make some friends here that can help me on the way.

Replies

• xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should not lose more than two lbs a week. On top of that, the closer you get to your ideal body weight, the harder it is to lose weight. People who only have 30 lbs of excess weight, tend to lose weight slower. Also, since you are not really huge, you would have to drop your calories REALLY low to even get close two lbs a week. My last 30 lbs, I had to hit the gym HARD and keep my diet in check with no mistakes to even lose one pound a week.

I think it's great you want to lose weight and get healthy. Just don't sacrifice your health to "get healthy". Just a suggestion, but I would recommend losing 18 lbs in three months. If you want to get to thirty and do it healthy, you should give yourself 5 months to lose 30 lbs. And that is if you are being extremely focused and active, and still want to be healthy.
  • Stitched84
    Stitched84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I was going on 2lbs per week (16 weeks at 2lbs per week 32lbs?) I know it's going to be hard mainly I need the motivation to do it. MFP says I should take 1200 calories a day and loose 1lbsomething a week so I am going to try my hardest to focus on what and when I eat (working shifts). And change my exercise up like walk/cycle to supermarket and local shops.
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a really great place to come to help you achieve your weight loss goals. I also have a goal of losing 30lbs by Summer 2014 so like June. I have sent you a friend request. I would love to support you on your journey. Anyone feel free to add me!
  • cranean85
    Options
    Do I set my own calorie intake or do I use the recommended calorie intake from myfitnesspal?
  • dserious111
    dserious111 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do I set my own calorie intake or do I use the recommended calorie intake from myfitnesspal?

Try what MFP says at first. If your body is comfortable with it, stick with it. If not, adjust accordingly.
  • cranean85
    Options
    How do I adjust? eat more or less
  • dserious111
    dserious111 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How do I adjust? eat more or less

Depends on what your body tells you. If you feel fatigued and/or weak, eat more (but clean)