Not sure if this is the right place to ask...

Options
...but here goes. After losing 50 pounds I have some loose skin around my belly, it almost looks like I've had a baby but the only baby that was ever there was a food baby lol! Anyways, I don't like the way it looks and I was wondering if there is anything I can possibly do, besides the obvious answer of surgery, to fix it. Yes, I am aware that abs are made in the kitchen and all that good stuff but I'm not asking about losing fat, I'm talking about trying to fix some loose skin that I find unsightly. Thanks!

Replies

• Cynnalyn
    Cynnalyn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've looked into this a bit already, as I'm hoping to avoid this if all goes well. From what I've heard, slow loss is key, along with mega hydration and exercise. That said, you're there now (and - huge congrats to you!). Drink plenty of water, 16 cups a day is ideal rather than 8 (most of us walk around nearly dehydrated all the time), though increase it slowly.

Topically moisturize your skin to add elasticity. Exercise to add muscle tone. It can take quite a while to 'bounce back', so don't give up. I'd also recommend some sort of compression in the looser area, maybe even just a waist cincher sort of thing, to keep the skin from hanging and stretching out.

One of my saved articles on this is here: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss?page=1 - according to this it can take up to 2 years.

Be patient with your body's changes, and maintain the loss. And, be proud of yourself. :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A lot of its genetics. The speed you lose weight will make no difference despite what people say. All losing weight slowly does is give your skin a little more time to catch up. It can take up to 2 years for your skin to strike down and retract as much as its going to.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Take pleasure in the 50 lb you have lost. This is a major achievement. You must be feeling so many benefits. I do not know over what time scale you have lost this far, nor if you want to loose more. Be pleased with yourself. If you are not within a good range for height, try to take more time over your journey, the faster it goes the more risk there is of loose skin.

Very well done
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yep, a lot of it is genetics, which you can do nothing about. Give it time, and hopefully it will get better. Age makes a difference too so although it may not "snap back" as well as if you were 20, you have an advantage over the hypothetical self doing this at 40, 50 or 60.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I never got back in shape after my kids, now 23, 24 and 16. The last pair were over 10lbs, huge belly. Then I got fat, not huge, just fat. Finally lost it this year, a tad too fast it seems, and was disappointed to have the belly flap left.
    Iresearched and all the articles read the same, exercise, drink loads, skin creams, exfoliate, and it takes about 2 years. Well I waited 16 to get in shape, so I guess I can wait 2 more.

Thanks for the link above, my favourite part was this

Tip #3: Eat Properly Two necessary ingredients that keep skin plump and elastic are collagen and elastin. Protein-rich foods such as cottage cheese, milk, legumes, tofu, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish all contain collagen and elastin forming components, as well as oils to help maintain healthy skin. -

Since I gave up meat last New years, and started weight training, I have been eating loads and loads of most of the above :-)

there is hope for me yet :-)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor. He/she might tell you that the only way is surgery but worth getting that opinion. If it is skin hanging off with no fat, I assume you couldn't burn it off...
  • hotlipsliz
    Options
    I had a feeling it's a matter of time and genetics. I will just have to continue being patient. It took about one year to drop the weight and I'm still a work in progress not so much towards a specific weight goal but I would like the drop one more size(I'm a 10 but want to be an 8) and gain some definition. Thanks for the tips I will have to try the ones I'm not already doing.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    go ask a doc-