What happens next?

Options
Recently I saw an interesting question posted, "Will you always count calories?" but no many people answered, so I ask....Once you reach your goal(s), will you keep logging your meals with MFP and counting calories?

Replies

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yes! I will always log even when I hit goal. It is the only way for me to stay accountable and not regain the weight as I've done in the past.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I plan to for the foreseeable future. I can spare 5 minutes of my time and so can everyone else who has the time to post replies on the comments and read posts. If I am on holiday then no, I won't.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Yerp. Stopping recording what you are eating once you have got to a certain point is like quitting your job just because you finally bought the house you wanted.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I will always track its part of my daily routine now, takes all of about 10 minutes. As for reaching goals, when I reach the current ones I will set new ones. Most of my goals now are fitness related so there's always something else to keep pushing towards.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will.
  • 1exercisefreak
    1exercisefreak Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes for life.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yerp. Stopping recording what you are eating once you have got to a certain point is like quitting your job just because you finally bought the house you wanted.
    I don't think this applies to everyone. A lot of people have been able to be successful with not logging, or with only doing so sporadically. I think especially for people who have had a significant portion of their adult life at a healthy weight, this is more possible.

For me personally, I will have to keep tracking at least for the foreseeable future. I would love to be able to stop, but I really need the personal accountability that comes from tracking, and seems to disappear when I don't track. But then, I've been overweight and comfort eating since childhood, so I have no past healthy eating habits to fall back on. Just because I've reached my weight goal, doesn't mean that I can stop keeping an eye on what I eat, and counting calories is the best tool to help me do that.
  • Bound4Kona
    Bound4Kona Posts: 53 Member
    Options

By far the best response I've ever heard. LOL!
  • EvilTracy
    Options

What a fantastic way to look at it..!!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Recently I saw an interesting question posted, "Will you always count calories?" but no many people answered, so I ask....Once you reach your goal(s), will you keep logging your meals with MFP and counting calories?

I've been in maintenance for about 6 months now and I no longer keep a food diary/count calories. My weight has stabilized in a 3lb maintenance window and I haven't had any weight creep since I stopped counting (I weigh daily and keep track on a graph). But, what's working now may not work down the road, so I realize that at some point I may have to start counting/tracking again. Maintenance is for a long time (hopefully 40 + years for me), so I will adjust as the need arises.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yep.