Suggestions for protein drinks?

Options
I'm running at least 5 miles a day and I do about 30-40 minutes of weight lifting, so I need something to drink after I work out. I've been trying Muscle Milk's different flavors and I just hate that after taste. Any good suggestions?

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making your own? I use frozen berries, 2scoops protein powder(vanilla) and some non fat milk. It's really good!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the chocolate Muscle Milk? My husband loves it and I've used it a few times. I didn't notice any kind of aftertaste. He says that every other flavor is totally gross.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    A friend gave me some of her Doctors for Nutrition Delicious Dream Protein - Creamy French Vanilla. It's great! I am now going to buy some. Hormone Free Whey Protein. Her trainer approved and it is low calorie (86 cals) and high protein (20). I need to find out where she buys it - locally - but I found online at : http://www.pureprescriptions.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductsID=813
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I like EAS Vanilla Drink. Only 110ish calories although only 17g protein, which people say is not enough?
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Zero Carb powder in Creamy Vanilla. It is super yummy in almond milk and if you look up recipes there are about 7 different recipes to make shakes. I have done 3 of the 5 for after workout recovery on the P90X and they are YUMMY.
  • red_five
    Options
    That's the only one I haven't tried yet! Thank you, that's what I'll get tonight and see if it's better than the other flavors.
  • djscardi
    djscardi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I personally really like the GNC WellBeing brand, the chocolate is really tasty especially if you mix it with almond milk or just regular milk. And its specifically designed for women and our needs and low in calories, only 100 per scoop! Good luck in your search!
  • dnfenton
    dnfenton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They say now a day that 1% Chocolate Milk is also a great after workout drink. Right before I took a 2 month break in dieting and working out I was running and doing cardio kickboxing and following my workouts with 1cup of Reduced Fat Chocolate milk. It was a good motivator for me to actually complete my work out and for someone who loses the weight in my stomach last I lost 4 inches in my stomach.

The article I read suggested a cup before and after working out but I personally am not a fan of using my calories on drinking something as opposed to eating food so that is why I just did the one cup after I worked out. I just remember that the 1% milk was key because you want a little fat in the milk so that your body absorbs the helpful elements properly.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been using Designer Whey for the past few months (double chocolate and strawberry are yummy). Throw in some frozen fruit, juice and/or soy milk, it was tasty. 100 calories per scoop too. Now I'm drinking Shakeology for my protein shake. Also very tasty.
  • hiltonheadagain
    Options
    The after taste you dislike is probably from the artificial sweeteners. I've read many labels and the two that I've found that are sweetened naturally are Trader Joe's whey protein and Jillian Michaels whey protein (available at Walmart). Both taste great and are resonablly priced. Hope it helps.
  • Xocai's wellness high antioxidant protein shake is amazing. It has 21 grams of whey protein isolate, 8 grams of fiber, & 19 amino acids. And the best part is it is chocolate, healthy chocolate. Mixed with ice and almond milk is my version on a healthy frosty :-):tongue: I have lost 12.5lbs in 10 weeks and over 4 inches in my waist. Check out my website at www.chocolateforhealth.info for more information on this product and how to order.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    They say now a day that 1% Chocolate Milk is also a great after workout drink. Right before I took a 2 month break in dieting and working out I was running and doing cardio kickboxing and following my workouts with 1cup of Reduced Fat Chocolate milk. It was a good motivator for me to actually complete my work out and for someone who loses the weight in my stomach last I lost 4 inches in my stomach.

I second this. If what you're doing is cardio workouts and you're looking for a good recovery drink, 1% chocolate milk is the way to go. I know it sounds weird but just google it. There are several athletic institutions (including major universities) giving it to their athletes as recovery drink. It has the right 4:1 c/p ratio you want in a post-workout drink. And, of course, you won't find anything cheaper or better tasting. :drinker:

I've done higher priced recovery drinks, but I'm going back to the plain old 1% choc milk. It did just as well.
  • JohnMaile
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning.... here's what I do:

3 raw organic eggs
    1 scoop Inner Armour Nitro Peak
    1 cup egg whites
    20 grams of AST GL3 Micronized Glutamine

... its pretty good and you don't taste the eggs. The glutamine is really helpful in not being sore, if that's an issue for you.

GOOD LUCK!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've had lots and lots of bad ones, but I pro-blend 55 is actually pretty darn good and the most protein you can get.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    BSN protein 21 grams.
  • tater8589
    Options
    My fav is BSN Syntha 6. Its smoother (mixes up better), has better flavor, and doesn't have the 'protien' after taste. I like to get vanilla so I can mix it with lots of flavors, but the others are good too. Mocha tastes like mocha, cookies'n'cream like cookies'n'cream, etc. Also it doesn't take as much to to make it thicker. I have tried some others and if you don't have milk they can be watery, I haven't had as much of an issue with BSN.
  • red_five
    Options
    Have you tried the chocolate Muscle Milk? My husband loves it and I've used it a few times. I didn't notice any kind of aftertaste. He says that every other flavor is totally gross.

I tried the chocolate one last night and it is MUCH better than the other flavors. Thank you so much!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are. A lot of "skinnier" people drink muscle milk because the high carb and calorie levels lead to a nice lean BULK.

If you are trying to LOSE weight, I would go for a low calorie, low carb protein. I feel like a broken record, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my protein powder, Dymatize ISO 100. As long as you drink your protein for nutrition purposes, and not as an excuse to drink a milkshake, you will reap the benefits of the added protein without having to compromise your daily calorie intake. Basically, find something that you can mix with just water.