Help! This is a slippery slope...

Options
I have lost a totally of 98lbs in the last two years and it was going fine until the last 6 months. I cannot stop myself from eating!!!! At first it started off as being bored and I am not even hungry I just do it. Now it is has developed into a habit that has escalated because I try to make it no big deal and I can stop but then I because I know I can I don't. It has caused my so much anxiety and stress which results in more anxious eating. I need help getting out of this rut. The problems is so cyclical for me. I eat because I am anxious and I am anxious cause I eat and when I try my hardest to stop it seems to be worse. I then just say screw it because I have already messed up my calories for the day and I just go for it. Some days I just eat because I worry I'll binge on it tomorrow and I can't trust myself. I know it is not impossible to lose weight cause I have done it but I just can't end the cycle and as a result actually put on 20lbs. I want to have a healthy relationship with food, but now I have gotten to the point where I can't have "bad" foods in the house cause I can't stand them just sitting there calling to me and tempting me to binge because lately I just can't have one.

Is anyone else having trouble with this? I need some motivation to help me walk away in the heat of the moment...or at least to keep me occupied instead of eating!

Replies

• indigloworm
    Options
    Until you can get back on track, don't have it in the house. Only have good snacks around so when you feel munchie, you can eat without the guilt. I periodically have to do the same thing. I will be doing really well then wham-o i start having trouble again! Anyways, try to do things so you don't get bored. It's hard but you have to understand that this is not an overnight change and you will have periods of time when it's harder than others. Do what works for you!! And cut yourself so slack, you are human. Just get back up on that horse! Good luck!
  • kimberly428
    Options
    I do too have the same issue...mostly out of boredom. What do you think worked for the 1.5 years that you stayed away from that habit?
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you know that you can't control yourself around certain unhealthy foods, don't keep them in the house! Why would you even buy these foods in the first place, if you know that you'll just binge on them? You've obviously lost a lot of weight, you just have to remind yourself what you did to lose that weight in the first place. As somebody else suggested, keep a lot of veggies and healthy snacks around the house for when you feel like pigging out. Make it so that you actually have to leave the house to buy the garbage foods when the urge strikes you. That way they're not easily accessible when you're bored. And when you're bored, go for a walk, or do some Sudoku puzzles, or play on the computer. Do something to get your mind off of food. How did you lose that 98 lbs in the first place? I'll bet it wasn't by keeping a bunch of junk food around the house to munch on! You know what you have to do to lose weight. Ditch the crap and get back on track!