Myth or Fact or it doesn't even matter?

Options
Hey all,

I was just going through my mental notes trying to sort out which were truth bearing and which not.

I came across the one "Your body is 2 weeks behind the efforts you are doing today", i.e. there is a 2 week lag time.

I wasn't sure if this is so, not that it really even matters, but sometimes, it helps to know why that AWESOME kick *kitten* workout didn't show up this week at weigh time, but the following week (having stayed the course) there is a huge drop.
Just curious :0)

Replies

• AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that one but that would explain a lot. LOL
    :noway:
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    it does kind of make sense because there are times I have a bad week but still lose and then on my good week I don't lose or even gain. its a mystery... either way whether its now or later we are doing good for our body! Good luck
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that your body tends to live in the present. If your calorie expenditure is greater than your calorie intake, your body doesn't wait two weeks before it decides to use fatty tissue for fuel. Conversly, your body doesn't wait two weeks to start storing that Chinese buffet as fat, either!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think there is a delay, but I think it's more like 3 days, not two weeks. But that's just me!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I think there is a delay, but I think it's more like 3 days, not two weeks. But that's just me!

I agree with this sentiment more then the two week one....I mean when I eat Chinese food...I know it right away. But I can drink water and workout and kind of combat the results. I'm on the other side of my weight loss journey so I'm not sure if that makes a difference? I'm doing a pushup challenge and we do pushups every other day (or so...lol) I notice a difference a couple of days later...But I wonder if its because I have lost weight already? Huh...I've never heard this before...Now its going to be stuck in my head...Haha! :o)
  • doelani
    Options
    I would love it if there really is a delay as I have been so good last 2 weeks with food and extra good with exercise, nut only lost 2lb

So I would love to know answer as well
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree that I think the body lives in the present; however, just because you had a kick *kitten* work out but didn't see anything doesn't mean your body didn't benefit. For example, maybe it increased your heart rate threshold or stimulated organs. I would venture to say that if you're not seeing a difference, maybe your calorie intake is more than you need...
  • serena22289
    serena22289 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think food has a more immediate effect than exercise. Eating well (or not eating well) affects you right after your done eating (i.e. feeling bloated or whatever) and exercise, although for me I always feel better afterwards, doesn't seem to really show until a week or two later. That's just my experience though.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    With my own experience I think there is a delay. I would say a week delay. I can simply kill it with cardio, do double workouts, and eat right, but I won't see any results until say seven days later. We need a total of about 3500 calorie deficit to possibly see a pound loss if there is no water retention all things are in order. Sometimes it takes seven days to acheive that deficit. Many people think that walking a mie a day will get that scale to move, but that only burns about 150 calories. So the calorie intake needs to be in line as well. Also, I believe that if you go below a daily 1200 calorie intake your body is going to go into survival mode and hold onto your calories/pounds. People may think differently on that point, but so be it.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I came across the one "Your body is 2 weeks behind the efforts you are doing today", i.e. there is a 2 week lag time.

Might have something to it if you are talking about noticing improvement in sports performance but I don't buy it in regard to weight loss..