Pre-Logging

Options
I have come to the conclusion that Pre-Logging my foods (logging them BEFORE I eat them) is rather like looking at the price tag of something BEFORE I buy it. It makes a difference for me. Might be something y'all already knew, but for me it was kind of my "WELL-DUH" moment.

Replies

• MrsSpitser
    MrsSpitser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that Pre-Logging my foods (logging them BEFORE I eat them) is rather like looking at the price tag of something BEFORE I buy it. It makes a difference for me. Might be something y'all already knew, but for me it was kind of my "WELL-DUH" moment.

I do this MOST of the time. And while it gives me a moment to reflect before I actually consume the foods I choose, I find it's easy to change my entry should I have a moment of weakness and make a poor decision at the last minute. I think it's a great idea, I just need to learn to stick with what I plan on eating in the first place. That's just me. :)
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Yeah, I have to do this. If I don't I've either gone over at the end of the day, or have a random number of calories/macros to fill in and nothing which fits the hole.
    I know it's obsessive and not an ideal way to eat, and I'm jealous of the people that don't have to do things this way
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This works especially well for me on work days. In the morning I pack my lunch and snacks, log them (plus breakfast of course) and then I can see what's left over for dinner and after-dinner snacks. Then I just eat what I brought and avoid the vending machines! :) Strangely enough, I find I don't snack between meals over the weekends. I think a desk job is just so tedious that you have to have snacks to look forward to so you can get through the day, lol. But yes, prelogging has been great for me too.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this too sometimes, Just depends on the day and what I have going on. I find pre logging to be most useful if I know where I am going out to eat. But, yes I had that "WELL-DUH" moment too.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to pre-log to stick to my calories. It is the only way to keep myself disciplined.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I do this MOST of the time. And while it gives me a moment to reflect before I actually consume the foods I choose, I find it's easy to change my entry should I have a moment of weakness and make a poor decision at the last minute. I think it's a great idea, I just need to learn to stick with what I plan on eating in the first place. That's just me. :)

I meant, in a moment of weakness, I take a moment to log it...that can sometimes make me feel stronger and avoid the temptation. It is easy to delete then, if I decide the calories arent' worth it!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Yep, I plan out my day in the morning or the night before, stick typical weight ranges in there for things like fruit, cheese, nuts, etc., and adjust if needed as I go along.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I pre log, sometimes even in my head before I fall asleep at night or before I get out of bed in the morning. If I'm having anything unusual then I really log it before I eat it to make sure it's worth it!
  • mjterp
    Options
    Just to clarify,
    I think some people are using pre-logging to mean they plan thier meals for the day and then enter them in.
    What I mean is actually look something up before I put delicious temptation into my mouth. Thus avoiding "buyers remorse"...which in this case could be called "eaters remorse?" Example: Today is interpreter appreciation day at work...so we have a TON of food, a variety of amazing looking doughnuts, various fruits, hummus and chips, vegetable lasagna, taco soup...I could go on and on. SO...before I ate that blueberry doughtnut and cream filled doughnut, I logged them. Can I really afford them, NO, but at least I logged them and took a look at what I was doing before I did it. (and truth be told, it kept me from eating TEN!) So when I say PRE-LOG, I mean Log it before I take that bite during that weak moment to make sure I take that one last step to try to keep my strength, or at least keep me honest.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have to pre-log. It helps me see the combinations of foods I can eat to come to my macro and calorie allowance. Also helps me see what kind of leeway I have with snacks and drinks with calories. I can't imagine what kind of time I would have if I added the calories after I actually ate them.
  • mjterp
    Options
    I pre log, sometimes even in my head before I fall asleep at night or before I get out of bed in the morning. If I'm having anything unusual then I really log it before I eat it to make sure it's worth it!

^^^ THIS ^^^
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In a certain way, it's why I like that restaurants and vending machines now need to have nutrition information. While I'm not logging, I do use MFP at restaurants to help me choose what to eat.
  • amywinzer9
    Options
    Did this at lunchtime - scanned in a bottle of wine to see how many cals and therefore decided I could treat myself to a glass.
    Such a quick and easy way to be aware of what you're putting in your body BEFORE you do it - it's a bit late when you get to 2pm and realise you have 10 calories left for the day!!

And like said above to make sure that the cake/chocolate/whatever you're about to eat is really worth it!!!!

Happy pre-logging :)
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I log everything ahead of time so I can pack my lunch and get things ready the night before for a quick grab-n-go in the morning. I look up everything (at least the first time) so I know how many calories things are. If something comes along during my day, and I can fit it into my macros, I will adjust my snacks and whatnot to accommodate it, or skip it if I decide it's not worth it.

My rule of thumb: If it makes my eyes widen and/or I register shock at the calories in something, I just pass.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If I know what I'm having for dinner, I will log it in the morning. That way I know how many calories I have to work with throughout the first part of the day.
  • sburns12066
    sburns12066 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do much better at my diet when I pre-log. It makes it easy when a meal comes up because I don't need to think about it, I already know what i am having for breakfast/lunch/dinner. When I do not pre log i tend to cheat more.