Had a Few cocktails yesterday and feeling Guilty.

Options
I have been doing really Well With my weight loss and hitting The gym 7 days per week. I workout an hour and a half each time. So yesterday we Went to a friends house to Watch The Bears and I had a Few cocktails. One Coors Light and four mixed drinks. Im headed to The gym today but am feeling like yesterday was a wasted day of working out because I drank after exercising. Its The holiday season and I know sometimes you have to enjoy yourself but Im feeling very Guilty. Im working out for Two hours today so I feel better. Your thoughts and opinions please. Thank you.

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you are working out 7 days a week for an hour and a half that is a lot of exercise and the amount of calories you can consume daily is going to be fairly large to make up for calories burned. Don't feel guilty about not being "perfect" all the time. I have had plenty of days where I have gone well past my caloric limits and I have never really had a gain, just a slower loss. This is about a lifestyle change and having days like that will allow you to stick to this for the long term. Also, don't over work yourself, resting days are good to have as well so your body can repair and recuperate.
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you were rooting for the Bears, you needed those drinks.

Get back on track today and you'll be fine.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) IMHO, feeling guilty abuot something you can't go back and change is a waste of time and energy... Instead put that time and energy into getting back on track and thinking about how you can do better next time (lower calorie drinks, bring bottled water or diet soda with you to drink instead, etc)

2) if you're working out that much, it's doubtful that you went too far over your calories. I hope you're fueling your body right and eating back your earned calories. If you're not, there's no reason to feel guilty about your drinks because you already had the deficit to handle them.

Plus if it was really a few, unless they were loaded with fruit juice, simple syrup, etc, they probably weren't as high cal as you think.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Going to the gym that obsessively, being worried about having a few drinks, and "punishing" yourself with extra exercise to make up for it sounds like you either have, or are developing, some sort of body image disorder, which you should probably do something about.
  • mikeruz
    mikeruz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do not feel guilty for living your life and having fun. If you go to the gym and eat right you can afford to have empty calories! I have lost 84 pounds by eating right and going to the gym 6 days a week. I also love my beer and scotch and have not given it up and I have still lost weight. This is not a diet it is a journey, you must still live your life!
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Stop the guilt! :wink: Today is a new day. So you had a few to many drinks, we all have been there:drinker: . Pick yourself up and move on. Eat and workout like you usually do. One day is not going to ruin your progress. :flowerforyou:
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Lol! I would have had several shots after Rodger's pulled off that TD in the fourth.
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You have a life to live and enjoy too. This fitness and weightless journey is enhancing your lifestyle but there must be room for fun, indulgence and letting your hair down from time to time.

I refuse to feel guilt for enjoying one drinks with friends, or dining out. These experiences are worth far more to me than staying on target with calories 365 days per year.

Go back to the gym and progress once again.
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Lol! I would have had several shots after Rodger's pulled off that TD in the fourth.

Totally.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Only 4 cocktails. What a wimp.....
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. Went to the gym and burned 940 calories. 3 miles on the elliptical, 9.5 miles on the bike and 2.5 on the treadmill.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For weight loss to work in the long term it has to be a lifestyle change. That means that you can't shut yourself away for a few months until you lose the weight and then pretend like nothing ever happened. There are going to be days where you'll want a few drinks. Or dessert. Or a burger and fries. Or whatever. You can abstain from those things for life. Or you can figure out how they work in your brand new lifestyle.

You are going to have to figure out how you want to make peace with those days. I would recommend trying to overcome the guilt and self-punishment afterwards. I've been down that road. It's not a place I want to see others go.

If your diet reaches a point where it interferes with your life, then I don't think it's a very good or sustainable diet for you.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym that obsessively, being worried about having a few drinks, and "punishing" yourself with extra exercise to make up for it sounds like you either have, or are developing, some sort of body image disorder, which you should probably do something about.

This
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow night is New Year's Eve,I fully intend to "have a few cocktails" and I sure as hell won't feel guilty. I'll be back on the wagon on the first and my journey will continue.