Need some advice on my weight loss plan - 30lbs to lose!

Options
Hi everyone, I'm a complete newbie to MFP but I've been lurking for a week or so reading your success stories and it's made me feel so inspired :smile: I just wanted some advice from people who've been on this journey before me...

I'm 5 foot 7 and my current weight is 174lbs. I want to lose around 30lbs by my college graduation, which is towards the end of May/early June, so aiming for about 2lbs a week. I've lost some weight already over this past summer using the 30DS and doing general cardio, but I've never really stuck to a "plan" before. I'm hoping that by making everything a bit more scientific I can get properly motivated and see bigger changes!

Here's what I'm planning:

Diet - I'm going to start the 5:2 and see how that works. On non-fast days I'm going to still monitor my eating and limit myself to about 1700-1800 calories max (MFP recommended 1550 a day but that was without doing the 5:2 as well...) I'm going to focus on eating lean meat and lots of veggies and cut way way down on carbs.

Exercise - I'm aiming to exercise 6 days a week with one day resting. My plan is to re-start the 30DS but combine it with a 15-20 min run and some weight training. I may throw in some abs/squats workouts as well.

Anyway - from those of you who've been doing similar things, do you think this sounds reasonable or am I going crazy overboard? I've used BMI calculators etc and read a lot about what other people do on the 5:2, but my calories might still be way off for all I know.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hi jmco201,

Its great that you are looking to lose weight and although I haven't used the 5:2 plan I know others who have been very successful with it.

My only comments on your plan would be:

1: If you are doing 5:2 then please do so in the way it seems to be designed and eat at TDEE on your non fasting days (google TDEE calculators).

2: Do not exercise on your fast days, unless you are intending to eat a good portion of your exercise calories back (however much you eat on the other days I personally don't think eating net 200 on any day would be good for you)

3: BMI is just a guide and not accurate in many cases. It is a great tool to add to your armoury but go by how you look as much as you BMI

There are many long term and very knowledgeable members on here and I am a newbie in comparison and they give out some great advice. Never be scared to check out said advice with your own research though :-)

Best of luck in achieving your goal
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well, if it were me, I would probably get burned out doing that plan after about a week. Small changes at a time usually work best. However, you may be one of those that sticks with it because it is a complete change.

Anything will work as long as you are in a calorie deficit. You may be able to lose 2 pounds a week starting out, but once you only have about 10-15 pounds left to go, it's going to slow down significantly. I speak from my own experience. You're giving yourself five months to lose 30 pounds, but it could take four months just to lose the last half of that.
  • expoduck
    Options
    It's good to have a goal, but the important thing is to keep going, even if you can't reach the goal by the date you're aiming for.

Never give up. Never surrender.

Good luck. :)
  • jmco201
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. On second thoughts I think fasting isn't for me (I tried yesterday and it just made me want to binge/fall over)...so I'm just going to stick with my MFP goals. I'm an impatient person by nature but I know it's going to be a long hard slog. Wish me luck!
  • sarahwitnh
    sarahwitnh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think you are headed in the right direction. YOu have set goals and how you want to go about them. I am not sure the 5:2 diet is a good idea. Everything I have read about not eating or skipping meals is it slows down your metabloism. Maybe do some research (unless you already have) on the 5:2 and make sure it is safe and healthy. The only way to keep the weight off is to do it the right way!
    However you do it, I hope you have amazing results. BUt I am interested in following your progress..so keep us posted.
  • jmco201
    Options
    Will do! :)
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. On second thoughts I think fasting isn't for me (I tried yesterday and it just made me want to binge/fall over)...so I'm just going to stick with my MFP goals. I'm an impatient person by nature but I know it's going to be a long hard slog. Wish me luck!

No luck needed, just a renewed desire --renewed every day-- to keep on the losing path. It will help if you get a selection of MFP friends who will peruse your diary, expecting you to log in every day, expecting you to log everything that passes your lips, expecting you to log your exercise (how ever much or little that may be). A good, accurate log will serve you well; if losing slows down a good set of eyeballs can help you see where changing things up might help.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Fasting works for a lot of people, but it doesn't for me. Do as you say and stick with MFP goals, log EVERYTHING, and most of all, have patience.

A word also from someone with a little experience--make sure you're getting plenty of calories from protein sources. That will help ensure that your weight loss is mostly from fat, and not muscle and fat. Well, that and some strength training of some sort.