How was THAT 1100 cals?

Options
2»

Replies

• aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Here's why it's 1100 calories: pecans, dried cranberries (MOST have extra sugar, like adding candy bits to your salad), BACON (need I really explain), and sweet potato "crisps" means FRIED, add the dressing…1100 easy

I dont eat bacon because I dont like pork.

But bacon is not bad for you.
    Centercut bacon is pretty lean and a good source of fat and protein. Dont demonize it.

Also you can make something crispy without frying it.
    Ive eaten that salad. They werent greasy and fried like.

Baked chicken can be given a crispy coating that tastes damn near as good as fried. It's an indulgence still, yes..but totally workable into a calorie budget and just as tasty.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. Scuttled by the salad and left wondering why we didn't just have the steak and onion rings :D
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, restaurant salads are notoriously calorie-heavy. Most times we're better off ordering a burger!

But I wanted salad today, and so ordered one at Chili's - great protein (63g), but over 1400 cals! :tongue:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Here's why it's 1100 calories: pecans, dried cranberries (MOST have extra sugar, like adding candy bits to your salad), BACON (need I really explain), and sweet potato "crisps" means FRIED, add the dressing…1100 easy

I dont eat bacon because I dont like pork.

But bacon is not bad for you.
    Centercut bacon is pretty lean and a good source of fat and protein. Dont demonize it.

Also you can make something crispy without frying it.
    Ive eaten that salad. They werent greasy and fried like.

People usually have bacon and think they've eaten something low calorie :laugh:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    that's horrible. I've read many articles about being careful about salads... most (unless you make it yourself) are not healthy and loaded with calories... sucks though ;-( sorry

How are they unhealthy? The amount of calories in food should not dictate whether they are considered healthy or not.
    I assume she means they're not much healthier than the non-salad menu options, since the salads can be full of high-fat ingredients (bacon, nuts, oil, cheese), with a handful of iceberg lettuce tossed under it to make you feel virtuous.

I think sometimes the salad is not really made to the spec that the calories are based on. I got a curried chicken salad from Pita Jungle twice, that rings up to a whopping 1270 calories. The first time, it was huge and the 'chicken salad' part was in a yogurt based dressing and I made two hearty meals of it. The second time, they used grilled chicken strips (not in dressing like 'chicken salad'), fewer nuts, fewer toppings and it was just much smaller. I easily ate the whole thing.

It's all estimates.

Dietary fat is healthy and essential...

I think the problem is that so many people think that only vegetables are "healthy" and nothing else. People have a general lack of knowledge when it comes to proper nutrition. People still think that fat makes you fat and of course, carbs are just the latest and greatest of dietary boogie man.
    I don't have a general lack of knowledge when it comes to nutrition. Fat is needed, sure, but not the levels found in the standard American diet or the standard American restaurant salad. No one said only vegetables are healthy. but a 600 calorie salad laden with vegetables is going to be seen as healthier to 99% of people than a 1200 calorie salad laden with bacon and cheese.

I think carbs were the boogie man about 10 years ago.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I usually order my salads as "just the veggies" and with the dressing on the side. I'll dip my fork into the dressing before loading the fork with the greens so I only pick up a really small amount of dressing...and I'll have that with a plain baked potato and steamed broccoli with lemon juice. Super filling and around 350 calories (maybe a little more depending the size of the potato)
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I find that at most restuarants it is better (in terms of limiting calories) to get a steak instead of a salad. Know that for next time, especially since you were at a steak house!

But it is shocking to see the calories in restuarant foods. I consumed 1200 calories for lunch yesterday at Red Robin eating a BBQ chicken wrap and fruit salad! The BBQ Chicken Wrap is one of the highest calorie items on their menu. Sometimes you just have to indulge.