why am I always hungry??

Options
I am always hungry!! I will eat regular meals and some times a snack here and there..but I am still hungry, I mean to the point where my stomache is growling..

Breakfast:
Piece of toast, egg, cottage cheese with fruit

Lunch:
Sandwich, handful of chips, yogurt

Snack:
a cookie or cheese cubes or celery with peanut butter

Dinner:
Pasta with chicken, small salad, maybe a dinner roll

I mean what am I doing wrong?? why am I always hungry??

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Replies

• caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I find this is my biggest problem that makes me hungry.
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    you could try having a snack between breakfast and lunch (around 200 cals) and/or a small snack after dinner.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    sometimes my stomach makes growling noises when I know I am not hungry. I use to eat when this happened, part of what got me where I am. Google it. Stomach growling when not hungry.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating smaller portions/less food? Maybe your stomach needs a little more time to adjust to the smaller portions/less food.
  • deeannah
    Options
    Yes and no...I drink water put of a water bottle but I usually add crystal lite to it, so it still counts as water..I think?
    I also drink a lot of juice and tea, in which has water, but I usually drink just plain water before bed and while in bed.
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    Yeppers. Water and fibre. Won't feel hungry with a gut full of swollen psyllium!
  • janalenee
    janalenee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If were not drinking enough water, sometimes our body will confuse being thirsty with being hungry. We are supposed to take our total body weight in pounds, divide it in half - that is how many ounces of water per day our body needs. For example, if you weigh 200 pounds, you need 100 ounces of water per day.

Also, we should be eating every 3 hours. So allow yourself a morning and afternoon healthy snack. Carrots and hummus dip is great, fruit, fresh veggies, and yogurt are great snacks. Items that are high in fiber are more filling.

Hope this helps! :)
  • MarriedMama
    Options
    Hi,

Maybe you are burning more calories from excercise than you are logging in your mfp diary. When I go long distance walk/jogs, I definitely get more hungry, and sometimes even have a ferocious appetite. More water will help too.

Best wishes,
    Marriedmama:smile:
  • deeannah
    Options
    sometimes my stomach makes growling noises when I know I am not hungry. I use to eat when this happened, part of what got me where I am. Google it. Stomach growling when not hungry.
    I know the difference between hungry and my stomach digesting...and its hunger...
  • janalenee
    janalenee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    P.S. - drinks with caffiene don't count as water. Caffine actually dehydrates you.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am that way. Always have been, and resigned myself to always being that way. I've learned to just live with it. When I'm bored and depressed it's easier to give in to the hunger. I'm trying hard not to go there.

Hang in there. You're not alone.
  • katieannd
    katieannd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am the same way for the first couple weeks of cutting down my calorie intake. I think it is completely normal. Try eating cucumbers or celery as snacks...they might help fill you up a little more with next to 0 calories. I also non-stop drink green tea and water all day.
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    Yes and no...I drink water put of a water bottle but I usually add crystal lite to it, so it still counts as water..I think?
    I also drink a lot of juice and tea, in which has water, but I usually drink just plain water before bed and while in bed.

You are drinking your calories with the juice. Try getting rid of the juice and adding those calories as food instead. Eat more fiber. Examples: Apples, Black Beans, Brocoli (boiled), Peas, Whole Wheat Spagehetti, and Oatmeal. Eat your zero calorie foods when hungry. Examples: Veggies (raw is the best).
  • Beach_Chica
    Options

It counts as water if the nutritional value is canceled out in ever section. It must read zero for calories, sodium, potassium, carbs, etc, etc to count as water. I learned that through LA Weightloss a couple years back.

Are you eating enough foods with high fiber? I like to eat a fiber bar and some snack that can easily be eaten in different increments. For example, I'll grab a little snack bag of grapes and pop a few in my mouth at a time, drink some water, and repeat every once in a while.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Try going to the reports section and look at the different parts of your nutrition over the past 30 days. Are you consistently getting enough protein? Enough fiber? Enough fat? Calcium? Iron? Are you craving certain foods or are you just hungry in that vague restless way? I've found I'm the most satisfied when I go over in protein and fiber. I agree with what everyone says about fiber. So if you're eating regular pasta, refined/white bread for your sandwich (even some "whole wheat" breads are so much puffed air they don't count) and a cookie and chips might not be sturdy enough carbs for you. Lunch meat for sandwiches is also not very satisfying if you're exercising more than you were before too.

Even with all that, I still have days, even a week at a time where I'm hungry all day and can't get enough. Sometimes it's because of stress, or not getting enough sleep, or because I'm building muscle. So good luck, I hope you figure out what works for you. :)
  • deeannah
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    it might be my fiber intake as many of you have said, I eat lots of fruit and veggies with almost every meal, I think its because I am not a huge meat eater, red meat once in a while, but I dont eat chicken.
    I eat a lot of rice, veggies, pastas etc..I am thinking I might need a fiber supplement or I might try my hand at making fiber bars at home (I do alot of baking and cooking anyway)

again, thanks for all your input=)
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    Just get the whole wheat versions of your pastas and rice and you should get enough fiber then.
  • momtodeshawn
    momtodeshawn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can't usually go between breakfast/lunch without a snack (especially on days I work). Maybe try that? I also tend to eat a snack after dinner too. Nothing with a lot of calories, usually around 100 for each snack. Oh...and I chew gum. :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • SpiritCymbal
    Options
    I am always hungry!! I will eat regular meals and some times a snack here and there..but I am still hungry, I mean to the point where my stomache is growling..

Breakfast:
    Piece of toast, egg, cottage cheese with fruit

Lunch:
    Sandwich, handful of chips, yogurt

Snack:
    a cookie or cheese cubes or celery with peanut butter

Dinner:
    Pasta with chicken, small salad, maybe a dinner roll

I mean what am I doing wrong?? why am I always hungry??

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

A simple answer is to make sure you're eating 6 "meals" a day, eat more fiber and drink plenty of water. 6 smaller meals rather than 3 larger meals will take care of the hunger. Not only will you not have that hungry feeling during the day, you'll notice that you'll naturally start eating smaller portions for your main 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Another key element is for your snacks, instead of eating a cookie, cheese or anything like that, try to eat foods that are high in fiber. The fiber makes you feel more full and will help you make it to your next meal with a smaller portion. Not only that, the fiber is great for your metabolism as well. Since your body has to work harder to digest fiber, your metabolism will be kicked up a notch.

Just for example, this is my M-F routine...I'm almost OCD on how strickly I stick to this regiment.

7:30 - 9:00 Breakfast (oatmeal, eggs, yogurt, bran cereal, etc...)
    10:30 - 11:00 Snack (apple, almonds, un-salted peanuts, protein shake, etc...)
    1:00 - 1:30 Lunch (balanced lunch with protein & fiber, good source of carbs for the day, etc...)
    3:00 - 3:30 Snack (apple, almonds, peanuts, protein shake, etc...)
    5:30 - 6:00 Dinner (balanced dinner with protein & fiber)
    8:00 - 8:30 Snack (protein shake, apple or small amount of unsweetened peanut butter, etc...)

Drink as much water as you can during the day too. Water (and ice) make you feel more full as well.

Good luck.
  • jojo0909
    jojo0909 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try going to the reports section and look at the different parts of your nutrition over the past 30 days. Are you consistently getting enough protein? Enough fiber? Enough fat? Calcium? Iron? Are you craving certain foods or are you just hungry in that vague restless way? I've found I'm the most satisfied when I go over in protein and fiber. I agree with what everyone says about fiber. So if you're eating regular pasta, refined/white bread for your sandwich (even some "whole wheat" breads are so much puffed air they don't count) and a cookie and chips might not be sturdy enough carbs for you. Lunch meat for sandwiches is also not very satisfying if you're exercising more than you were before too.

Even with all that, I still have days, even a week at a time where I'm hungry all day and can't get enough. Sometimes it's because of stress, or not getting enough sleep, or because I'm building muscle. So good luck, I hope you figure out what works for you. :)

I agree. It looks like you could use some protein at lunch, even a handful of almonds. I know if I am tired, I seem to crave the "comfort" foods.