P90X3 - Who's with me?!

Options

Replies

• Tammy_Christopher
    Tammy_Christopher Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy! I'd LOVE to join you now but I had some major surgery on the 17th & I will be a "good" girl & listen to the Dr's as to when I can workout intensely again! I got the X3 for myself for Christmas & am jacked to start. I want to do this program & drop the very last 10 pounds! I will follow the thread & read all the heads up so I can spare myself any problems. To bad Tony has to yack so much, I was hesitant to order this cuz in the first series he about drove me nuts with his talking & him thinking he's funny!I wish you successful goals!!!!

Good luck to you with your surgery! Yea it's best to listed to the Dr so you heal properly and you can get into it full force after you're doing better. I'm glad you'll be keeping up with us though :)

Question for the folks doing it, what is a good alternative I can do while they are doing pull ups? I have no where to put a pull up bar and I workout in the basement, my ceiling is low so no where to use the bands. Should I do some sort of push ups or use weights?

Thanks all!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Question for the folks doing it, what is a good alternative I can do while they are doing pull ups? I have no where to put a pull up bar and I workout in the basement, my ceiling is low so no where to use the bands. Should I do some sort of push ups or use weights?

Thanks all!

There are three options, depending on the ceiling.
    (1) If your basement is unfinsihed and you can see the joists, you can purchase about 6ft of 2x4 and a pullup bar. Cut the 2x4 into two 3ft lengths, attach them vertically to joistsand hang the pullup bar in between the two.
    (2) Purchase an exercise band and a hook used to hang bicycles on walls. Use a stud finder to locate a ceiling joist (if you can't already see them) and attach the bicycle hook to the joist. You can use this hook to anchor the exerc ise band while you hold both ends in each hand and simulate pullups. Even if you are sitting on your butt while doing them, this would allow you to simulate pullups.
    (3) Purchase the attachments that allow you to do pullups in an open doorway. I can't vouch how well they work or whether they will cause any damage to the doorframe, but I see a lot of people use them.

Pushups or lifting weights over your head won't work the same muscle groups, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Mike
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I just started today. Obviously I haven't seen much of the program yet but so far I love it! I always liked P90X but would do the workout without the video playing because I could do most of them in 35 minutes without all of Tony's talking! These 30-minute videos without all of the breaks are perfect!

Also pairing it with Focus T25. Two programs and I'm still under an hour- perfect!
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Options
    There are three options, depending on the ceiling.
    (1) If your basement is unfinsihed and you can see the joists, you can purchase about 6ft of 2x4 and a pullup bar. Cut the 2x4 into two 3ft lengths, attach them vertically to joistsand hang the pullup bar in between the two.
    (2) Purchase an exercise band and a hook used to hang bicycles on walls. Use a stud finder to locate a ceiling joist (if you can't already see them) and attach the bicycle hook to the joist. You can use this hook to anchor the exerc ise band while you hold both ends in each hand and simulate pullups. Even if you are sitting on your butt while doing them, this would allow you to simulate pullups.
    (3) Purchase the attachments that allow you to do pullups in an open doorway. I can't vouch how well they work or whether they will cause any damage to the doorframe, but I see a lot of people use them.

Pushups or lifting weights over your head won't work the same muscle groups, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I actually have a finished drop ceiling in the basement so I can't see the joists and there is a gap in between the ceiling tiles and the joists underneath so I don't think I can do the bike hooks on the ceiling. :/ I'm not to crazy about the door jam ones either. My walls are concrete also. May have to try to rig up some way to do that bike hook at the very top of the wall close to the ceiling and try that. I can't think of anything else that will work. Thanks for the tips Mike!
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I am beginning on January 6th and am excited. I put a pull up bar in the door way and then wrapped the resistance bands around the bar and did that instead of actual pull ups.
  • Butrovich
    Options
    The second week of P90X3 has begun with another round of Total Synergistics. This time I burned 411 calories compared with last weeks 436, so it seems like I am consistent in my workout intensity. My diet is also going strong with no problems with junk foods or soda.

@Chrisskellint
    How did you like Body Beast? How were the results? And what brought you to buy P90X3 immediately afterward?
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Tammy,
    I was told (a long time ago) that "most" women can't do a full pull-up so to work that same area starting off to build some strength was to do floor pull-ups. Set 2 chairs facing the same direction about 3 feet apart. I stacked books (the same height) on each chair. Lay a weight bar across the books. I then lie on the floor, grip wide & pull my chest towards the bar. Give it a try, I hate to see you ruin your house!:laugh:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am beginning on January 6th and am excited. I put a pull up bar in the door way and then wrapped the resistance bands around the bar and did that instead of actual pull ups.

Hi CHOCO!!!!! Good to see ya around!!! Looks like life has been good to ya! How is the arthritis? Keeping it at bay? Hope the series works well for you!!! I will be coming on board around the middle of January!
  • coachrussd
    Options
    I started P90X3 on Dec. 17 with my wife. I am having a blast so far!

https://www.facebook.com/coachrussd
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Options
    Tammy,
    I was told (a long time ago) that "most" women can't do a full pull-up so to work that same area starting off to build some strength was to do floor pull-ups. Set 2 chairs facing the same direction about 3 feet apart. I stacked books (the same height) on each chair. Lay a weight bar across the books. I then lie on the floor, grip wide & pull my chest towards the bar. Give it a try, I hate to see you ruin your house!:laugh:

Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it :) I was complaining to my hubby about not being able to do the pull ups and he reminded me we do have a bow flex that has a Lat pull down bar :ohwell: hahah I didn't even think about that. So I think that will work out as my alternative. I'll just set the weight up high and use it for pull-ups.
  • Butrovich
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it :) I was complaining to my hubby about not being able to do the pull ups and he reminded me we do have a bow flex that has a Lat pull down bar :ohwell: hahah I didn't even think about that. So I think that will work out as my alternative. I'll just set the weight up high and use it for pull-ups.

picard.jpg
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Hey ms lady, I am still hanging in there although I have fallen off the wagon as it relates to healthy eating. Hoping P90X3 can get me back in the rt track. There are good and bad days with the arthritis but I try not to let it take me down too long. I have also taken up a new workout that I enjoy.....pole dancing. I have been taking it for 4 months and am thoroughly enjoying it. What workout programs have you been doing lately, you were always a beast when it came to working out?

Hi CHOCO!!!!! Good to see ya around!!! Looks like life has been good to ya! How is the arthritis? Keeping it at bay? Hope the series works well for you!!! I will be coming on board around the middle of January!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm in ... starting today and would love to join as well. Do you have a group or is it this same post?
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Options
    Happy New Years Eve all :happy: :drinker: Week 1 day 2 today, Agility X. I really enjoyed this one! It's much more fast paced. Those 30 minutes flew by today. There were a few moves I couldn't get, that plyo pushup at the end, I couldn't do the jumping. Gotta work on that upper body strength. Hope everyone else has a great workout today!
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Options
    I'm in ... starting today and would love to join as well. Do you have a group or is it this same post?

Welcome aboard. I don't have a group, just keeping track of everything in this post. Hope you enjoy and good luck to you!
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was X3 yoga for me and it was just okay. I only ever did the first 35 minutes of yoga X and I feel like that was a much better workout. X3 wasn't very challenging. Anyway, I'm excited to try Pilates when I get to that week.
  • DECAFLiving
    DECAFLiving Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 and love it - though i am gaining weight not losing (same with Insanity) - so now focusing on more clean eating!

Not sure how accurate this is but i use it to estimate my calories - http://p90xcalories.com

Feel free to add me.
  • Butrovich
    Options
    Finished Week 2 Agility X. The time went by more quickly this time and I was able to do most moves. I will say "most" since there were a couple when I had to stop with 5 or 10 seconds left. My heartrate got up to the 180s and I burned 550 calories this time. Not bad at all.

Menu is on track and I don't plan to have more than a glass of champagne tonight, if at all.

Dec31.jpg

I'm still doing research on buying a FitBit Flex or Force. Not sure which one and I am open to suggestions.

Be safe tonight, everyone!

Mike
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! Today was X3 Yoga. I've never really done much yoga but I really enjoyed it. It felt great on my sore muscles. Once I learn all of the poses by name and don't have to watch them constantly I think I will love it! It was nice to get a little extra sleep today and do my workout later rather than 530 or 6am. So now that my workout is done and I'm caught up on everything around the house I am going to enjoy some football and catch up on some reading. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Mike, that menu looks great! Keep up the great work. Regarding the FitBit, I have the One and my hubby has the Flex. He really likes it. I had the flex for a few weeks and ended up taking it back. I really can't stand things on my wrist and it started annoying me so I exchanged it for the One which I love! Hope you enjoy whichever you go with! Happy New year to you!
  • Butrovich
    Options
    First workout of 2014. Week 2 The Challenge combined with P90X's Ab Ripper. Got my heart rate up to 141bpm and burned 580 calories total. This time I knew ahead of time how to choose my pushup/pullup numbers without killing myself, so I chose to do 20/6. This was manageable up until the end when I had to do pullup negatives (using a stool to get chin above bar, then slowly lowering myself). Pushups were not as difficult, although that last batch I had to do pushups from my knees.

Keep bringing it!

Mike