DOMS- Temporary or A Way of Life?

Options
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness...

So every time I lift (heavy), I am sore for days. Is this something that people who lift as a lifestyle just deal with all the time? I drink lots of water and yeah I stretch. Thoughts?

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    How often do you lift? In my experience it's temporary but happens when doing something unfamiliar. I had little to no soreness from lifting before my break, but just about died from DOMS my first day back after about four weeks off. Now the soreness is barely noticeable again. In contrast, I run maybe once every week or two and get DOMS most every time from that.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't get doms. :(

for those that get it, it's not something that gets better over time. it depends on the workout.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usually when I do new things or get back into doing things, I'm more sore the second day for about three days despite stretching/etc.

Then it goes away after second or third session. Hope it does the same for you!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

for those that get it, it's not something that gets better over time. it depends on the workout.

Not true at all. If you start to lift heavy consistently you will most likely have intense DOMS for 3-4 weeks after starting. They usually are the worst 2 days after the lifting session. After this time, you will usually continue to get DOMS, but they will be very mild, and it's not so much painful, but you just feel a tightness in the muscle and a slight soreness.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Not true at all. If you start to lift heavy consistently you will most likely have intense DOMS for 3-4 weeks after starting. They usually are the worst 2 days after the lifting session. After this time, you will usually continue to get DOMS, but they will be very mild, and it's not so much painful, but you just feel a tightness in the muscle and a slight soreness.

That's my issue - I am not consistent in it just yet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

from experience I don't believe this...I've seen people train in different ways to normal and get intense doms. I didn't mean if you do the same training style week in week out. if you change things up a lot, it's likely to change how your body responds after....no?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    How often do you lift? In my experience it's temporary but happens when doing something unfamiliar. I had little to no soreness from lifting before my break, but just about died from DOMS my first day back after about four weeks off. Now the soreness is barely noticeable again. In contrast, I run maybe once every week or two and get DOMS most every time from that.

I find this. Lifting regularly = minimal DOMS. taking a break then lifting again = DOMS from hell and then some
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I find this. Lifting regularly = minimal DOMS. taking a break then lifting again = DOMS from hell and then some

Yep.

Also I find if I go for a PR I'll be sore, but it won't be the kind of intense soreness I get when I've taken time off completely.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love DOMS, I don't feel like I've done enough without it. But it doesn't always make you walk like you're made out of cardboard, it does get easier :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Depend what you're doing.

If it's a new routine or a new exercise you're adding to an existing routine then you'll get it. Eventually, the body will get used to it. When I'm doing a standard compound lifting routine, I don't get it much after the first few weeks even if I'm pushing my limits.

However, I'm doing pre-exhaust stuff these days so always get DOMS.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

That's my issue - I am not consistent in it just yet.

I think I found your problem.

DOMS isn't a sign of a good workout either... it just means you are doing something you haven't done in a while- or something totally different than what you are used to doing.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Personally I have come to like DOMS, tells me that I am working. Yes, I know they are not always a true indicator of work, but I feel like they are a good thing. They remind me that I have been in the gym.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't have a routine where I do the same exercises again and again- I have a progressive program that uses compound movements (functional fitness) that are always switching up. I use Pocket Trainer (a great phone app) and choose heavier weights. Usually 10 different exercises, 3 sets of 8-12 reps grouped by category. I do this 1-3 times per week, depending on how sore I get, and I try to alternate with cardio days where I do HIIT on the treadmill, stair stepper, or row machine, plus occasional walks (fewer when it's icky outside). I'm still sore from a few days ago.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll attempt to suffer through it and be more consistent. In the mean time I'll continue to stifle my cries when I have to climb the stairs at work!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    There is this weird phenomenon that revolves around DOMS that you will start to learn.

At first you hate it..it sucks..it takes you 30 minutes to get off the toilet and wiping your *kitten* is like going through open heart surgery without being put under.

THEN after some time

You start to crave it. You want it. You are addicted to it like your first love. You want DOMS all the time. There is a hole in your soul when you don't actively have it.

THEN

It disappears never to bee seen again until you skip leg day for 2 weeks in a row....then you hate having to sit down on the toilet all over again.

Welcome to the world of inverse relationships.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is this weird phenomenon that revolves around DOMS that you will start to learn.

At first you hate it..it sucks..it takes you 30 minutes to get off the toilet and wiping your *kitten* is like going through open heart surgery without being put under.

THEN after some time

You start to crave it. You want it. You are addicted to it like your first love. You want DOMS all the time. There is a hole in your soul when you don't actively have it.

THEN

It disappears never to bee seen again until you skip leg day for 2 weeks in a row....then you hate having to sit down on the toilet all over again.

Haha well said and I agree!

...except when it comes to calves DOMS :indifferent:
    That is a world of hurt I never want to experience again :sad:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

THEN after some time

THEN

pretty much this.
    ...except when it comes to calves DOMS indifferent
    That is a world of hurt I never want to experience again sad
    and this.

My friend added calves into a workout once- I couldn't walk straight for a week. Stupid calves.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I only have DOMS if I miss a week or so of workouts. I was really sick last week, and didn't go to the gym at all. I finally got to lift yesterday, and can not walk today. :grumble:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I always have it. Sometimes it's worse than other times, but I can't remember the last time something wasn't sore and I've been lifting for almost 2 years. I figure it's something I'm doing wrong or weird, but I live with it. The research I have done on DOMS has never come up with a 100% cause. From what I've read no one really knows exactly the cause or cure. I don't mind though, it makes me feel tough :-)
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options

THEN after some time

THEN

This. Oh DOMS, how I first hated thee. How I loved thee. How I miss thee.
  • Matt24442
    Options

yep