Chruch Thanksgiving Dinner

19marie74
19marie74 Posts: 44
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I don't know what to do. Our church has a Thanksgiving dinner every year. We all bring one salad of some type, one bread of some type, and one dessert. The church supplies the meat. I always eat. But this year I don't know what to do. I want to lose at least 6 pounds by Christmas. I know I have time but my weight has been coming off very slow. I thought about making my own food and not bringing food to share with everyone else. But would that be rude? My husband isn't sure what he will do. So for now I am only thinking of me, myself, and I. What would you do?

Replies

• Can you make a salad and dessert that you can enjoy that everyone else would like, too? (the bread may be something you just have to bring and not eat!) Like a beautiful spinach salad or a chopped salad with lots of pretty veggies and a healthy dressing. For dessert, fresh fruit with a cream cheese dip (cream cheese mixed with brown sugar is fantastic)?

I get together with girlfriends once a week and always ate whatever without a thought. But since this is a weekly lunch and not really a special occasion, I am always bringing something healthy so I know I can eat at least one thing!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Thanksgiving morning I will get up and have an awesome cardio workout. I will eat within portion sizes, have one plate of food, and have no dessert. Then the next day I will have another awesome cardio workout. I will not stress over ONE meal. It is not going to break my full year of eating healthy.
  • i would simply pre-measure my own portion out and put it in a separate container :)
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Everything in moderation. Just try and stay away from the breads, limit the amount of gravy you use and also limit the amount of potaotes (and if you like them, steer toward the sweet potoates). If you want to have dessert, have a very small slice of pie (or cake).

Always good to get in a good workout in the morning as well.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Thanksgiving morning I will get up and have an awesome cardio workout. I will eat within portion sizes, have one plate of food, and have no dessert. Then the next day I will have another awesome cardio workout. I will not stress over ONE meal. It is not going to break my full year of eating healthy.

Agreed! One high-calorie meal won't undo the 19.5 pounds that I've lost, so no sense obsessing over it.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 526 Member

Awesome way to look at it!! I would go...make some healthy choices to bring. There are probably enough healthy choices with the meat, the salads and the veggies to fill you up. Go and enjoy the time with your church family! Don't let food stand in the way of the fellowship!
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    the thing would be to bring the types of salads breads and desserts that you can eat on your program to share,. and figure in the calories for the day... don't worry about it and enjoy the day. have a little walk before and after and you'lll be great. The worry will create more stress more cortisol and more fat storage. so relax plan and enjoy yourself.
  • Thanks for all the responses. I just want her to finish off the year on a good weight number. she still has far to go. By the way I am the husband to the one that posted this.
This discussion has been closed.