Calories Burnt on Rower

Options
Help!! Im trying to work out how many calories iv burnt on the rowing machine for 30 mins?? There isnt anything registered on here so really hard trying to judge it

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It entirely depends upon how much work you were doing - ie, resistance level and your speed.

Does the rower not give you that info? If nothing else, get yourself a heart rate monitor that calculates Calories burned.

Oh, and "Rowing, stationary..." is in the database. Just type in "row" or "rowing" and you'll get options.
  • K398
    K398 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Kerry, the best way for the everyday fitness person to figure these things is to invest in a GOOD HRM (heart rate monitor). It will become your best friend and you'll find it indispensable. Don't cheap out on it and use the ones with the chest strap. It will be the single best investment you make on your fitness journey; trust me. JM2C.

In the meantime, there are vague calculators online such as this, but the are highly subjective. Rowing is in there:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • mbellypdx
    Options
    You'll need a HRM to know. Rowing varies so much from person to person based on intensity, speed, form and size of rower. I'm a former collegiate rower and rowing at 500meters/2:30 min for 25 min, burned 189 cal. (Total distance was 5000meters) Most people I see at the gym aren't rowing with the right form and I'm guessing they burn far less since they're not using all the muscles correctly. It's similar to getting on the spin bike and riding without resistance=just not as effective a workout.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    On the Concept 2 website there is also a calculator to adjust the output reading of the machine cals with your weight. It's not an exact science science, but I've compared it a few times with an hrm and it comes out pretty close.