Wisdom Teeth Removal

Options
Hello all!

I am having two wisdom teeth and a broken, rotten molar taken out on Monday. I've stocked up my kitchen with:

Greek yogurt
Smoothies
Pureed Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato soups
Pav Bhaji (Mashed Vegetable Curry)
Little ring noodles and Alfredo sauce
Guacamole
Refried Black Beans
Hummus
Pudding
Jello
Juice
Tea
Applesauce
Bananas
Instant Mashed Potatoes (I have cheese I can add to this)
Frozen yogurt
Eggs (that I can scramble)
Ground turkey and beef that I can mince

Does this look like I'll be getting enough nutrients? I'm figuring I've got enough variety that I won't get bored, but I am worried I won't be getting enough nutritional value. Also, for anyone that had the surgery, how long was it until you were able to return to work or workout afterwards? Thanks! :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Recovery is dependent upon how deep the teeth are, if they are impacted, .....if the rotten molar breaks apart, etc.

My wisdom teeth removal was easy peasy....but they were not impacted, and right at the gum line. My best advice....make sure you are using ice packs....like clock work. Maybe make a couple sets of ice packs ahead of time. Keep that swelling down.

You've got lots of variety there ....your list looks good.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The two wisdom teeth that they are taking out are both broken through the gums and are coming in kinda weirdly up against the back molars. Though the bad molar I'm getting taken out is the one in front of one of the wisdom tooth that's going too.

ETA: Thanks for the tip on the ice. I'll be sure to do that. Would I need to have it on for a bit and then off for a bit? Never had an injury that I've needed to ice, so not quite sure what the protocol is.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The two wisdom teeth that they are taking out are both broken through the gums and are coming in kinda weirdly up against the back molars. Though the bad molar I'm getting taken out is the one in front of one of the wisdom tooth that's going too.

ETA: Thanks for the tip on the ice. I'll be sure to do that. Would I need to have it on for a bit and then off for a bit? Never had an injury that I've needed to ice, so not quite sure what the protocol is.

Mine came out awhile ago, but I believe it was 15 minutes on & 15 minutes off...the Dr gave me a little instruction sheet. I wrapped the ice bags in dish towels. After awhile the ice got too melty....having extra ice on hand is a good idea too.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your list sounds a lot better than when I had my teeth removed. I just lived for 3 days on a milkshake, few servings of applesauce and a snack pack. My mother also purchased fat-free, no sugar added ice cream, I could no even make myself eat it when I was starving :noway: You should be fine with your list of foods.

All 4 of my wisdom teeth were impacted, but the removal process was really quick. I was in and out of the office in less than an hour, which included recovery and time for additional anesthesia (I had to get laughing gas before my IV, or else I would've fainted). Mine were removed on a Tuesday and I took off work for the rest of the week since I worked in a daycare, and 2 year olds are very clumsy and rough. But I went into work 2 days later for my paycheck and I felt fine. I had no bruising, swelling, and very little pain. The day after they were removed I was down to only 1 pain pill in the morning and 1 at night (just to be safe) and completely off by Friday. Stock up on ice packs, I did 20 minutes on one side and then 20 minutes on the other all for the first day, it really helped.

Ask your Oral Surgeon about exercising afterwards. But I would wait about a week and then start some light exercises (walking) where your head isn't bobbling around too much. Then give it another week and slowly work up, if you feel ok. It's fine to take a week or two off from exercising so that your body can recover.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm a little nervous but being well informed helps me. :flowerforyou:
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    When I had a wisdom tooth removed at the hospital, the surgeon told me not to eat dairy for two weeks because that heightens the chance of infection. Maybe you should ask your dentist.

Lots of cold fruit smoothies and keeping your mouth clean is the key. Not having a perfect diet for a couple of days really isn't going to give you a deficit straight away.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    Options
    Just got home a little bit ago. Surgery went well and now getting ready to "eat" a Bolthouse Farms Protein Plus Vanilla shake. :)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I struggled to get enough protein and iron when I had my wisdom teeth removed. I ate a lot of baked sweet potatoes topped with avocado along with refried beans, scrambled firm tofu with soy sauce in sesame oil, and oatmeal with peanut butter and banana.