what should I make in the crockpot for dinner?

Options
Im home on Medical leave from work :( So I would like to do some dinner in my crockpot (since I got it last christmas from the hubby and have yet to use it) he he he! I dont even know where to start.....I have ground turkey and chicken tenderloins on hand! What should I make??? Of course something healthy please! Bring all ideas :)

Replies

• GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    u can always do chili. that tastes awesome!!

i also have a simple chicken recipe that takes 3hrs.

10oz cans of cream of chicken, cream of celery, cream of mushroom, chicken broth.

at least 1 serving of rice (altho u can add more if u'd like)

at least 4 boneless/skinless chicken breast

put all creams, broth & rice in crockpot. put on high for at least 15minutes.

cut chicken in2 halves.

put chicken in crockpot, if liquid doesn't cover chicken add water until it does (usually 20oz or less)

cook on high for 3hrs & ur done :flowerforyou:
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Put some carrots, celery, onions, and chicken into the crock pot. Add some chicken broth and/or white wine (not much is needed, just like a 1/4 cup or so), perhaps some salt and pepper, and cook for 4-6 hours on low (depends on the size of the chicken pieces). It's a little like chicken vegetable soup. Serve the chicken with the veggies, perhaps some rice or other grain. Quick, easy, and tasty.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I usually put a whole roaster chicken in there with dry spices and let it cook in it's own juices for about 6 hours... delicious! :-)
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    This isn't all that great on calories...but nonetheless..Delish!

Barbeque Sauce
    55 Calorie Beer
    Pork Ribs
    An onion
    Some jalepanoes!

Let it cook all day!
    As long as you don't drink the barbeque sauce, it isn't horrible on calories.....
  • trish1215
    Options
    I just found a low calorie chili that I plan to make for dinner tonight. If you make it this morning and leave it in the crock pot on low or a few hours and turn it to warm it will be even better.

Ingredients
    6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    8 garlic cloves, minced
    1 pound ground sirloin
    1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
    2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    Preparation
    Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.

Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.

Note: Like most chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:375 (29% from fat)
    Fat:12g (sat 4.6g,mono 4.1g,poly 1.1g)
    Protein:28.9g
    Carbohydrate:33.7g
    Fiber:8.2g
    Cholesterol:59mg
    Iron:5mg
    Sodium:969mg
    Calcium:165mg

I hope it is as good as it sounds and I am sure it will be. Enjoy!
  • xineratz
    Options
    I love this one. Take some chicken breasts, frozen or not. put them in the crock with enough salsa to cover and cook all day. Fresh salsa is great, but any jarred salsa is good too but watch out to make sure it's fat free. It's awesome! I'm mexican and have high standards too.
  • KristenY18
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all these recipes...you guys are gonna make it hard to decide. I was thinkingof doing the chili tonight just because its suppose to be one of our first cold nights this fall. How perfect to curl up on the couch with a bowl of chili and watch Scared Shrekless ( on tv tonight) with my two year old! I will definetely save all these other dinner ideas..........thanks a million
  • jessicalhall85
    Options
    mix one can of the fat free cream of mushroom soup, one cup of salsa, and one packet taco seasoning then add 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. cook on low for 4-6 hours i serve mine over rice with corn on the side its so easy and really yummy! only 156 calories per cup :) (right before you serve the chicken, add 1 cup of low fat or fat free sour cream)
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 tablespoons dried oregano
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 small zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 green bell peppers, chopped
    2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained
    2 (12 ounce) packages vegetarian burger crumbles
    3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    dash cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp of chipotle pepper
    1/2 tbsp of paprika
    1/2 tsp of oregano
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans
    1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
    1/4 cup of shredded English Cheddar
    1/4 cup of shredded Pepper Jack
    1/4 cup shredded of Colby Jack
    1 cup vegetable stock
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients (except the cheese) in a crock pot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Garnish individual servings with the cheese blend.
  • xxPeppaxx
    xxPeppaxx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry now!!!!
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    mix one can of the fat free cream of mushroom soup, one cup of salsa, and one packet taco seasoning then add 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. cook on low for 4-6 hours i serve mine over rice with corn on the side its so easy and really yummy! only 156 calories per cup :) (right before you serve the chicken, add 1 cup of low fat or fat free sour cream)

sounds awesome! Bump!
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bumping to try these this winter.
  • babygtbck14
    babygtbck14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts a jar or two of alfredo sauce (they have low fat varieties just look at the label) and bunch of fresh broccoli crowns... cook in the crock pot for about 6 hours on low. Cook some noodles when you get home, and voila delicious Chicken alfredo and dinner is done. I like to top mine with a little parmesan cheese. I have even thrown the breasts in frozen and it still comes out moist and delicious.